Asus VG248QE Questions

techn00b15

Commendable
May 5, 2016
Hello everyone I just have a quick question what happens if I dip below 144 fps on my 144hz monitor. It doesn't happen in all games but when it does happen it is a very slight drop and barely goes below 144 fps maybe 130-125 in my processor heavy games. Just want to know what happens when those dips occur and if it is a really big deal or not. Someone mentioned that it won't be 144hz at those specific times or something like that but I wasn't really clear on the explanation. I figured I could ask here, thank you everyone for your time.

Solution
AFAIK , monitor will pull frames from your frame buffer every 6.9 ms, with 144hz display. in case your a frame is not done or half way updating, it will just display whatever in the frame buffer, so maybe half of your screen is new frame and half is old frame, (tearing) or if the frame takes longer, it will just display the old image again.( stutter)

If you have adaptive sync, things are little different, basically your refresh rate is not fixed anymore and it is actually waiting for a signal when frame is ready, then updating The screen. So you won’t get any screen tearing.
AFAIK , monitor will pull frames from your frame buffer every 6.9 ms, with 144hz display. in case your a frame is not done or half way updating, it will just display whatever in the frame buffer, so maybe half of your screen is new frame and half is old frame, (tearing) or if the frame takes longer, it will just display the old image again.( stutter)

If you have adaptive sync, things are little different, basically your refresh rate is not fixed anymore and it is actually waiting for a signal when frame is ready, then updating The screen. So you won’t get any screen tearing.

Solution