Question ASUS VG248QG Gaming Monitor not staying on 165 Hz ?

Jan 5, 2022
Hey guys, I'm quite frustrated about this monitor and need help. So for more detail, the monitor's max for me it stays on is 144 HZ. In nvidia control panel, there is the option of 165 HZ available but whenever I click on that option, the screen goes black for some seconds, then when the screen comes back, it stays at 144 HZ.

I also tried the option in windows itself and the 'advance display adapter', both options, have 165 HZ available (Windows has it as 164.917 Hz to be even more precise in what I'm saying) and again, it goes black and when a few seconds passes, the screen comes back but it's still at 144 HZ.

I don't know what's up. I'm trying to figure out if I have a 3d setting in the nvidia control panel messed up, idk....trying a lot of different things. For reference, I also use display port as when I got the monitor, a display port cable or whatever it's called came with it and I read that the 165 HZ should work when using displayport/cable. (Maybe I should buy another displayport cable and not use the one that came with the monitor?)

I saw on Asus instructions on their own website to go to 'OSD - Overclock' but that option isn't there for me, at least in that wording. I go to OSD but I don't see ANY options about overclocking. I'm really getting a bit frustrated as I recently got the monitor and I just want to make sure I'm using it to its fullest potential as I've been on 60 hz monitors for roughly close to 20 years and really want to enjoy myself finally.

144 hz is definitely great but I just want to understand why it doesn't stay at 165 Hz for me no matter what I do in all those settings ? Thanks in advance for any replies.

PS, since I've been with 60 hz monitors with regular, old cords with the blue head, bare with me if I don't understand certain replies well.

Basic PC specs if this helps -

Mobo - B450 Gaming max plus

CPU - Ryzen 5 3600

GPU - Zotac 1050 ti mini (Will be upgraded soon)

Display: ASUS VG248QG

Ram - G.Skill ripjaws (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200

PSU - EVGA 600 B

First update to this post - I tried updating to Nvidia's recent drivers, didn't help.

Update 2 - Thanks to a friend, we didn't directly figure out the problem but we did a solution to create custom resolution inside Nvidia Control Panel. In that window, we kept my monitor's resolution the same which is 1920 x 1080 but increased 144HZ to 150HZ, tested it and it worked. Then increased 150HZ to 155HZ and that also worked. Both profiles are saved and my pc has options to both of those resolutions. We tried 160HZ and it failed. We're not sure why but at least there a fix of sorts. It may not get you the max HZ you want but it will close enough. My current refresh rate is 158hz.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I'd first check and see if your motherboard is pending any BIOS updates. In fact, what BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? I'm assuming you're on Windows 10, if so, what version(not edition) of the OS are you on? I'd then turn my attention to sourcing the latest driver from Nvidia's support site, then use DDU in Safe Mode, remove all drivers, then manually reinstall said GPU driver in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Lastly, look into Page 3-4 in your manual, here, to enable Adaptive-Sync.

Jan 5, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I'd first check and see if your motherboard is pending any BIOS updates. In fact, what BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? I'm assuming you're on Windows 10, if so, what version(not edition) of the OS are you on? I'd then turn my attention to sourcing the latest driver from Nvidia's support site, then use DDU in Safe Mode, remove all drivers, then manually reinstall said GPU driver in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Lastly, look into Page 3-4 in your manual, here, to enable Adaptive-Sync.
My bios is indeed outdated, My windows is up to date, the Nvidia drivers are up to date. I will be using DDU in a few weeks as I'm upgrading my gpu!

Adaptive-Sync is on so the only thing to check to see if it helps is BIOS so I may need to watch a video on how to do that.

Overall since I made this post, I found out a short term solution I will post so others can see! It doesn't get the full 165 HZ but it's close enough.

Thanks for the advice, will keep the BIOS in mind since I have a Flash drive and will be learning how to do it.