[SOLVED] ASUS VG279Q Flickering when using without a second monitor

Jun 9, 2020
So this is a strange instance that's given me quite the headache.

I have an AOC 2779 27in 1080p 60hz monitor (my older monitor) had it for 2 years a decided to upgrade. I chose the ASUS VG279Q 1080p 27in 144hz

I haven't had any issues with screen flickering on my AOC in the two years I've had it. I've owned my ASUS for less than 24 hours and when using that monitor alone, without the AOC connected it flickers off and on (sometimes lines, sometimes black, green, etc)
I connected the monitor via HDMI alone aswell and the issue persist so I don't believe it's a cable problem, I've also connected it to a Nintendo Switch (via HDMI) and the flickering didn't occur.
I'm starting to believe it's an issue between the monitor and my pc but am a little lost.
My PC only has one HDMI port and one DisplayPort so my AOC is connected through HDMI and my ASUS is DP.

I did get a notification from my Radeon settings that read the following: (The system has detected a link failure and cannot set the requested resolution and refresh rate. Your display might not support the requested resolution or there may be an issue with the cable connecting the display to your computer.)
however my monitor is still able to be set to 1080x1920 at 144hz

(PC specs for reference)
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
AMD FX-6300
16 GB DDR3 RAM
Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. 970A-DS3P (CPU 1)
2048MB ATI AMD Radeon RX 560 Series
1TB storage.

Thank you for any help.

Last edited: