ASUS VH226H OR ACER H213Hbmid?

Techno-boy

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
Hi everyone!

I would like to know which of these 2 1080P LCD monitors are a better buy: VH226H OR H213Hbmid?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009157

OR

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236051

I've learned that they both look similar with 1080P but the only difference between the 2 are that ASUS VH226H has 2ms with 1000:1 contrast ratio and ACER H213Hbmid has 5ms with 20000:1 contrast ratio so ASUS's is slightly faster than ACER's but with lower contrast ratio.

Newegg.com also said that for the moment they both have the same price and marking ACER H213Hbmid as number 1 of customer choice award with 286 reviewers/customers while ASUS VH226H has 311 reviewers/customers. :bounce:

I am planning to use it with the upcoming ATI Radeon HD 5870 as a PC gaming monitor.

Which one is a better buy? Does having more contrast ratio makes the image quality better? Or is it better to get something faster like with ASUS's 2ms response time? :D

PS: I had also discovered that somebody on other thread mentioned: "Beware of anything that states like 2ms GTG Response time. That is NOT a true 2ms response time. The GTG stands for Grey to Grey and does not tell you the true response time."

Is it true that GTG does not tell exactly what the response time is? The fact is that ASUS VH226H is 2ms "GTG".

Techno-boy

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
Knock! Knock! Is there anyone home??? :hello:

No reply??? :cry:

Oh Gosh! I never think that my thread is going to be so boring like this. Maybe my question is very noobish for people to reply or something... :ouch:

:sleep:

ShadowFlare

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
They are actually both 1000:1 contrast ratio monitors. If I had to guess, I'd say they are also probably both 5ms response time. As far as that "20000:1 contrast ratio," that is a mode where it auto-adjusts the brightness to try to get the best contrast for what is currently displayed. The Asus monitor has that, too, and is stated as 12000:1 for that mode; though the numbers just seem kind of arbitrary, in my opinion.

I bought the Asus VH226H just recently. I chose it over the Acer for at least a couple reasons. One of which is that the Acer only has an audio input or output (I'm not sure which, though the color suggests it is an input), but I wanted to have both an input and output - the output especially, so I could get audio from HDMI to my speakers. Another is that I found the Asus has an aspect ratio option, but at the time I think couldn't find any information about whether the Acer has such an option (I still don't know); this is something that was at least moderately important to me if I was going to get a wide-screen display.

Don't know if it really matters, but the Asus VH226H also seems to be the better rated/more popular one over there at the moment, based on the posted ratings.

Techno-boy

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008

Thanks for the reply ShadowFlare.

I thought that nobody was going to reply. :D

Anyway, I think that you are right about the contrast ratio because I saw some reviews which mentioned that ACER did not really have 20000:1 ratio so they are both 1000:1 contrast ratio monitors.

I still don't know how important is the audio input/output that you were saying. I already bought Sound Blaster X-FI Fatality Pro and 5.1 speakers and I don't think that I need HDMI for audio except for connecting with video card. I think that you meant using a video card that supported audio instead of a sound card and connecting to both monitor and speakers via HDMI since HDMI supported both audio and graphics? I thought that it was suppose to be HDCP which supports both audio and graphic?

ShadowFlare

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
As far as the audio input/output, I guess it just depends on how you will be using the monitor. In my case, other than using it for my computer, I also sometimes use it for connecting an Xbox 360, which doesn't have a separate audio output when using the HDMI, unless you get the expensive HDMI kit from Microsoft. If you will only be using the monitor for you computer and nothing else, this probably doesn't really matter.

HDCP isn't a connection type; it is an encryption of the signal, which can be supported over DVI or HDMI. This is used when playing Blu-Ray discs (whether on your computer or a separate player), on some TV channels from a cable TV or satellite TV set-top box (when connected via HDMI), and possibly some other things. There isn't much information available about whether these monitors support HDCP on both connections, or just one of them, as far as I know.

Techno-boy

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
OK...

Well, if I must buy a monitor now for a PC then I might better get ASUS VH226H since it has the most reviews and most customers on Newegg.com and it is the revision of VH222H. The ACER H213Hbmid is ok too but perhaps a little old or something since that is the first version and ACER did not release a revision or V2 of H213Hbmid. However, both of them are good and they both support Full HD 1080P.

Anyway, thanks for the information ShadowFlare. I think that my confusion about these 2 lcd monitors is now over. :D