Asus VII Hero freezes at boot screen on cold boot (Qcode 99), but is fine after power cycled.

StupidComputers

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2014
Hi guys, recently whenever I turn off my computer for a few hours or more and i hit power again, I get the initial ROG screen and it freezes there.
So I have to hold down the power button until the rig shuts down and give it a second or 2 til i can push the power button again.
This just started happening a week ago, and I just noticed the Q code showing 99 while frozen. Me confused, everything is always plugged in and I'm not turning the psu or surge protector off, so what gives?
Thanks

Rig: i7 4790k (nh-d15 cooler)
Asus maximus vii hero
g.skill ripjaws 1866 cl8
xfx 7970
antec ea 750w
sandisk extreme pro SSD
2x usb mouse
1x usb keyboard (bit twitchy but that's been goin on for a while)
1x ps/2 keyboard

vagrantsoul

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
from the ROG site:

Qcode 99 is "Super IO Initialization" and IO meaning anything connected to the board by any interface is not initializing.
If you have just built the system, then it is saying a device is not connected properly or there is a lack of power to a device causing the IO error.

First check all cables and components are seated flush and level and aligned in parallel with Pci-e slots and your DIMMs seated correctly.

Should the condition continue, you will have to Bench test outside the case and reapply your TIM after checking for bent pins. Test with minimal configuration, till you post successfully or identify the failing component.

Tomas bl

Reputable
Jul 3, 2015
I have the same problem:
I7-4790S
2x8GB A-DATA 1600MHz cl 9
SSD Samsung 850PRO 256GB
WD Black 3TB
WD Blue 250GB
Enermax liberty ELT500AWT
1st MB Gigabyte Z97-UD3H now Asus Z97-PRO
System became frozen when rebooted during W8.1 installation it was necessary to push reset button but then PC was working normally. When I switched it off and let it for example overnight I could not start it in the morning. It was necessary to push Reset button several times then PC started and worked normally.
I changed MOBO from GB Z97-UD3H to Asus Z97-PRO but the problem continues. I made different combinations of plugged HDD/SSD the result was the same. Display shows code 99 when frozen. I think now that it could be PSU. Does anybody have some ideas?

StupidComputers

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2014

I don't see ur vid card listed, mine hasn't pulled a boot screen freeze for a while so i haven't checked, but try swapping GPUs or using the onboard gfx, and tell us if it worked ;)

Tomas bl

Reputable
Jul 3, 2015

I have only integrated gfx.
I was able to solve problem in the meantime. The problem was caused with card reader connected to onboard USB header. System is working perfectly after I have removed it.