Question ASUS VivoBook 15 - Can I install a Crucial P1 Nvme into it?

AndrePF

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
Hello.

I have this ASUS X512FJ-EJ226T laptop from the ASUS VivoBook 15 series. It is a Brazilian model: i5-8265U + 8GB 2400Mhz Ram (Single Slot) + 1TB HDD + GeForce MX230.
I opened it today and had a little look inside.

It looks to me as if it accepts M.2 NVMe SSDs because the conector looks to be for M Key M.2 slot (4-pin down and 5-pin up).

Can someone confirm this and also confirm that the Crucial P1 1TB NVMe SSD will work? If it does work, what is the max theoretical speed the drive can reach?

Thank you,
Andre.

Lutfij

Titan
I've had two friends buy that same series of laptops, albeit they are missing the discrete GPU on the laptop. Regardless of the discrete GPU, the laptop should support both an NVMe SSD or a SATA based SSD. You can go with either, just be mindful that high end NVMe SSD's will run hotter so I'd suggest something less(speedy).

Prior to your SSD upgrade, always make sure you're on the latest BIOS update(if there are any pending).

AndrePF

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
I've had two friends buy that same series of laptops, albeit they are missing the discrete GPU on the laptop. Regardless of the discrete GPU, the laptop should support both an NVMe SSD or a SATA based SSD. You can go with either, just be mindful that high end NVMe SSD's will run hotter so I'd suggest something less(speedy).

Prior to your SSD upgrade, always make sure you're on the latest BIOS update(if there are any pending).

Just so I can be sure: Is that slot really a M Key slot?

Also, how much less speedy would you say is fine? I will rarely ever use the SSD for long writing periods besides installing the OS and eventually, like 2 or 3 times a year, transferring about 20 - 30Gb of photos. Should I look for something along the lines of Read/Write speeds of 1000-1200Mb/s? Or is my current use just not dangerous enough for the SSD on the long run?

Thank you.