Question asus vs asrock

70 plus dollar price difference.

I'd compare the individual features as shown on the spec sheets of each of them at the Asus and Asrock websites.

Some of the features are likely useless to you. Some somewhat useful. Some mandatory. You have to know which is which.

I wouldn't expect one to be "more reliable" than the other unless you can find overwhelming evidence....which isn't likely. You'll get a bunch of anecdotes, buyer comments and maybe some reviews, some of which will be from mouth-breathers. You have to guess at what is wheat and what is chaff among them.

If you choose the cheaper one, do you have a good spot to spend the saved 70 dollars elsewhere? A larger SSD? More RAM? A stronger CPU? Better cooler? A stronger CPU is always a prime candidate.

Entirely possible there's a better place to spend the 70....but maybe budget doesn't much matter?

Might matter a bit if you have serious over-clocking intentions or some unusual requirement. Is this a productivity PC? A gaming PC only? A gaming PC somewhat?

Neither. At least not yet.

First is this is a major change in platform with all-new CPU, chipsets, socket, memory. Everything. It's bound to have a lot of bugs to be shaken out. Unless you like the drama of being an early adopter, wait a few months to jump in. By then there'll be one or two BIOS updates with new AGESA's so maybe things will be settling down. One thing they really need to fix is the extremely long boot times I've been seeing. Maybe up to 10 min's after a CMOS reset but even routine boots are way longer than currently expected.

But second and probably more important: wait until B650 or at least X670 non-E boards are available. They should be a lot cheaper, and will also benefit from lessons learned with better BIOS's at release.

I will say that I’ve owned an asrock b350 board I got probably in 2017 or 2018. It’s by and large been a good board. I’m actually running a 5900x on it along with a 6700xt. Picking up a 32gb ram kit this weekend for 80 bucks for it. I’ve got no major complaints it’s been a good board.

If I wanted to nitpick, if my speakers are plugged into the audio output I sometimes used to get a Hispanic radio station even if the pc was off. Unsure why but I started using a USB audio device and it’s been fine. But I probably only paid 70-80 bucks for this board when I got it.

If I wanted to nitpick, if my speakers are plugged into the audio output I sometimes used to get a Hispanic radio station even if the pc was off..
A bit off-topic, so please excuse...

Where are you located? When I lived in El Paso, TX this was very common. There are several Mexican radio stations that didn't really care much for keeping their transmitters in tune, nor really adhering to antenna propagation pattern requirements and transmitter power output as they were trying to reach Hispanic listeners as far north as Chicago. So spurious emissions were high, which bleeds over into all sorts of other electrical devices (the same theory as crystal radios work on). We had to build fully EMI shielded rooms for reliable lab work.

I used to think the stories of people getting reception in their dental work were apocryphal...now I'm not so sure.

Reactions: Lafong
... But the computer is in the basement.
Doesn't really matter. It couples in on electrical power wiring, poorly shielded USB cables, keyboard, mouse. Any beloved patriot c h i n k in your EMI filtering armor is readily exploited.

EDIT: LOL "beloved patriot": The word I used has a proper definition of "narrow opening, such as crack or fissure". Toms' automated wokeism showing itself.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lafong

TRENDING THREADS