Asus vs Dell build quality

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Anyone want to settle an argument over Asus vs Dell in terms of Build quality. When I mentioned about getting an asus over a dell due to build quality, they freaked out and started arguing that Dell has the best quality and the most reliable brand you can get.

When I finally did get to Bestbuy, I ended up getting an Acer aspire TC-605 since my local bestbuy had no asus desktops in stock, only Dell, HP Emachines and Acer.

msulew

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
I recently helped my mother-in-law with this sometimes confusing question. Asus has some of the best laptops on the market and their build quality is always good and always gets one iota better as the price jumps. Dell makes fairly good machines now too, in the past they were garbage but they have cleaned up their product nicely. The funny thing about Dell is a lot of their OEM parts now are made by Asus, so the question is which Asus would you rather own. Both companies make great products and with Asus you get more options at a better price.

I think this comes down to preference and machine esthetics. If you are going gaming stick with the G75 series as these have been rated best machines for the price point.

Here's an old thread with plenty opinions:
http://www.tomsguide.com/forum/81388-35-compare-dell-toshiba-asus

I can't find any evidence of the above statement "The funny thing about Dell is a lot of their OEM parts now are made by Asus".
Many of the parts are of course made by electronics manufacturers in Taiwan and China, just like every other computer component or consumer electronics item. Do some research on Foxconn and you'd be surprised how much of their stuff you have bought.

I've only ever used Dell laptops, because they are the only supplier for my company.
Batteries are the most common thing to fail of course just like every other brand. I've seen these fail after 12 months, but then the laptop I'm using now is four years old with no problems at all.
Other than that, the occasional failed power supply and cracked screens due to physical mis-handling are the only issues I've seen.
We still have 10 year old laptops kicking around the office for specific tasks.

Your post wasn't about which laptop to buy, but about relative quality.
I can see arguments against Dell on price certainly. Some of their spare parts are outrageously expensive.
On functionality too, there may be a manufacturer that makes a laptop to suit your specific needs perfectly.
In terms of quality though, I can't fault Dell at all.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
Typically all laptops in the same price range are going to be made with the the same quality level of components. A 1500 Asus will have better quality parts then a $500 Dell. In factor a $ 500 Dell could have some of the same components as a 500 Asus.

Plus laptops are made by 3rd party OEMs in Asia or China. Two of the largest selling computer companies are Quanta and Compal.