Asus vs gainward:

lennard19

Commendable
Jan 14, 2017
Help please. I have joined the master race 7 months ago. And so far i have built 2 systems on my way to my 3rd (for my wife and daughter respectively). I'm about to build one for myself but stumbled upon a local store that specializes in gpus. The odd thing is almost all of their GPUs are roughly the same price as in other stores. Except for their gainward products. In this store an Asus GTX 1070 OC 8gb, which im leaning towards, is only $40 cheaper than a Gainward Gtx 1080 Phoenix. I have not personally owned an asus, product aside from 2 monitors, but have always wanted to have them due to all the feedbacks here in this forum. But the brand enough for me to disregard that dirt cheap price of the 1080? Asus has 2 yrs warranty from where i live, but gainward only has 1. The rest of the cards Galax HOF, MSI gaming Z, Zotac super Jetstream is roughly in the same neighboorhood as the asus 1070 too in terms of price and warranty. So pretty much standard price for all cards except the Gainward. This store is one of the most reputable from where i live but not really sure how big a risk i am taking. My daughter's rig that i recently built has a gainward 1060 and it's been working like a charm so far. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance!

Solution
the Gainward Phoenix series, especially with Pascal are excellent cards.

Went for a Gainward Phoenix 1070 myself and am rather surprised by the quality.
Also the Phoenix cooler is one of the best on the market.

Furthermore if the 1070 is only 40$ cheaper than a 1080 then it's heavily overpriced

Concerning overclocks:
1. With Pascal OCs aren't really happening. Every 1070 will clock the same as long as they stay below 75/80°C. Paying for a factory OC'd card is basically a waste of money.
2. An OC'd 1070 won't come close to the performance the 1080 for that matter.

Sinistercr0c

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
ASUS is a premier manufacturer of motherboards, GPU's, tablets, monitors etc. I know the Gainward brand but would ALWAYS buy ASUS over it (or any other) if I were buying either a motherboard or GPU....however a GTX 1080 over a 1070? I'd be tempted to give the Gainward GPU a go for that money. Even if you get burned at least you'd be going in with your eyes open and expectations set......you know the old saying 'once bitten twice shy'

lennard19

Commendable
Jan 14, 2017
I'm so sorry sinister. I accidentally clicked the down arrow on your answer. Im really new to the forums. My deepest apology.

Contrary to my mis-click i absolutely agree with your answer. The thing that is tempting me to go with the Gainward 1080 is the possibility that it could outlast an Asus 1070 by a year in terms of usability. I'm not a fan of triple A modern games but I am an advocate of getting the most for your buck. And if there's a possibility that the 1080 could still be playable after a year that the 1070 has gone over his "prime" and outlived its usability, that might just be the final dealbreaker. BUT that being said, what's the use of the 1080 if the 1070 outlives it if gainward just burns down due to it being made of lesser quality components, comparatively speaking.

I have the option of instead of going with Asus 1070 strix and Motherboard combo i could go with a Gigabyte Auros Mobo cheaper by about $50 vs the Asus Strix Gaming E. That said if i go with Giga and Gainward 1080 combo id end up saving $10-$20. I'm so confused.

salerhino

Reputable
Mar 16, 2016

Its ok I gave him upvote;
I would go for the Gainward 1080 as zou will have guarantee for 2 years?

lennard19

Commendable
Jan 14, 2017
@salerhino

No sir. Sadly the Asus GPU here in the Philippines like most would have 2 years warranty. But Gainward only has 1 year coverage.

Would OCed Asus GTX 1070 have any chance of reaching the same area of performance with a Stock GTX 1080? I have already forgotten the boost and base clocks of these 2 cards.

lennard19

Commendable
Jan 14, 2017
By the way, the monitor I plan to use is just a 2560x1080 ultrawide 21:9 monitor. But i'm going with a 1070 or 1080 solely because i plan to buy a VR headset soon.

the Gainward Phoenix series, especially with Pascal are excellent cards.

Went for a Gainward Phoenix 1070 myself and am rather surprised by the quality.
Also the Phoenix cooler is one of the best on the market.

Furthermore if the 1070 is only 40$ cheaper than a 1080 then it's heavily overpriced

Concerning overclocks:
1. With Pascal OCs aren't really happening. Every 1070 will clock the same as long as they stay below 75/80°C. Paying for a factory OC'd card is basically a waste of money.
2. An OC'd 1070 won't come close to the performance the 1080 for that matter.

Solution