Asus VX238 speakers not working!

jkteddy77

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013
I have my Asus VX238 connected HDMI-HDMI, and an AUX running from the monitor to my PC's Stereo audio jack.
I have catalyst 14.9 installed, and my playback devices show the monitor as an option, and that they are set to my default speakers. When I hit test, the little green bar shows that a sound signal is going through. The monitors volume is turned up to 100% and so is my PC's audio. It says in Playback devices that it is running on the AMD High Definition Audio Device driver, and I have the driver showing up in my Device Manager under Sound as well. I have it showing up in Realtek audio as well.

Inside AMD Catalyst Control Center, under Audio, my monitor is selected, but it shows it as "speakers", and my Digital Display Audio options are greyed out.
I unplugged the AUX so its only connected via HDMI and it still doesn't work. Yet, Speaker icon on the taskbar still shows the VX238 as the audio output/ What am I doing wrong? How can I get the computer to let me use this HDMI Monitor Audio?

Solution
go from the green, make sure the realtek is the default output device otherwise it won't put any audio through. You currently have the HDMI as default.
That monitor does not accept audio through HDMI, you need a separate 3.5mm jack to go in it's microphone input.

51XTcBFJ30L._SX522_.jpg

Asus Say - PC Audio Input : 3.5mm Mini-Jack

jkteddy77

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013

Now see, I've tried both jacks, and neither is working. Should I use the Green or the Black for PC audio? This does explain why the HDMI Audio solutions were greyed out in CCC,, but I still cannot get the speakers to work :/

jkteddy77

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013

Ok, it is working through the Green now. Odd this is that I need to keep the monitor running on AMD's HD Audio Driver selected as the default playback device and NOT the speakers using the Realtek Driver, even though the sound seems to go through the Realtek Drivers :/
Hmm... very odd, wonder why it wasn't working with the green plug earlier... This is what happens when you have Realtek, AMD, and Steel Series Audio Drivers all competing with each other.
Thanks for doing the research!

jkteddy77

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013

Off subject, but how does your D15 cool? I got a D14 but my 4790k is still running games like BF4 at around 55-70C, even though i have tons of fans:
https://i.imgur.com/elIyrGW.jpg
I get to about 76C with Prime 95. My Room temp is pretty high (78F) and the PC gets hotter and hotter as I use it. Any ideas on whether this is normal or how I can improve these temps? How did you mod your D15? (btw, nice build, hows the 840 pro? I just settled for the Evo)

Funny you ask that but I used to have a D14 before the D15. With my intel i7 4930k @ 4.9GHz it tops out at 79 degrees C. This is an amazing temp for that clock speed, I have modded the cooler so it's not the stock but it uses the stock fans it came with. To be put simply, it performs very very well.

I have gone from this -

Photo_on_23_09_14_at_7_40_PM.jpg

But have removed the two outer fans and installed a top 360mm Radiator which is going to be used to liquid cool my R9 290X.

As for your issue, that's abnormally hot for stock 4GHz speeds. What is your case?

840 PRO SSD is very fast, boots in a matter of 10 seconds.

The D15 only has the option for two fan clips so i decided to make more to add up to 5.

jkteddy77

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013

Very cool mod.

Sierrebrarc

Reputable
Feb 17, 2015

Actually the VX238 DOES accept HDMI audio. I have two of them connected to my computer via a GeForece GTX 970, and both work just fine if I use the HDMI input. (btw I am using the DVI to HDMI cable that came with the monitors) When I first connected them I plugged one in with the 3.5 jack and later tried the HDMI connection. They all worked without any trouble at all. In the Nvidia control panel I had to make sure the DVI output is turned on. There is also an option for the HDMI ports there as well. I am sure that an AMD card has the same options in the Catalyst Control Panel.