[SOLVED] ASUS Website says my motherboard is PCIe 3.0.. Can I get NVMe?

Solution
Your lowest cost and most effective change would be to change to a ssd.
My recommendation is to buy a 1 or 2tb samsung 860 evo sata ssd. 1tb is about $100
Use the samsung ssd migration app to move your c drive to the 860 evo.
Here is a link to the manual and app:
You just run the app to copy your c drive installation to the ssd.
Then, just change the boot order.
After, you can repurpose your HDD for whatever, backup storage would be a good idea.

Everything you do will be quicker.
The ssd will be some 5x faster in sequential reading than your current hard drive.
It will be 40x faster in small random I/o which is what windows does mostly.

So far as cpu power is...

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
No. NVMe is a new type of port. You can buy a PCIe card, and put your NVMe drive onto that card, but otherwise there isn't any port in your mainboard to plug a NVMe drive.

By the way, it is fast, but does it worth it? Not really. If you are OK with your computer, it is not a game changer like SSDs.

AceArcade

Commendable
Nov 23, 2019
I'm a video editor and my PC is really slow. I have to edit 4K videos and do a lot of file transferring. Will speed be the same if I use a PCIe card?

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
I'm a video editor and my PC is really slow. I have to edit 4K videos and do a lot of file transferring. Will speed be the same if I use a PCIe card?

I have found one link: https://www.sonnettech.com/product/m2-4x4-pcie-card.html Sure there are other brands. And yes the speed will be the same. However you will be unable to boot from that drive and drivers can be an issue or cannot be an issue (I never used one of them) Maybe you can take it as a reason to upgrade.

AceArcade

Commendable
Nov 23, 2019
I have found one link: https://www.sonnettech.com/product/m2-4x4-pcie-card.html Sure there are other brands. And yes the speed will be the same. However you will be unable to boot from that drive and drivers can be an issue or cannot be an issue (I never used one of them) Maybe you can take it as a reason to upgrade.
This helps me so much. Just one last doubt: This and the NVMe will be the only things I'll need to buy and change right?

Thank you!

bignastyid

Titan
No. NVMe is a new type of port. You can buy a PCIe card, and put your NVMe drive onto that card, but otherwise there isn't any port in your mainboard to plug a NVMe drive.

By the way, it is fast, but does it worth it? Not really. If you are OK with your computer, it is not a game changer like SSDs.

NVMe is not a type of port, it's a type of host controller interface.

Hey, I came here a few days ago to ask if I would have to change my motherboard to get a NVMe, since I thought my motherboard could not take NVMe. But now, I see that the ASUS website says my motherboard has PCIe 3.0.. Does that mean it can take a NVMe SSD? Thanks. (https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8H61M_LX_R20/ )

For an M.2 drive you could use an adapter(M.2 to pci-e) or just install a pci-e NVMe SSD, however your motherboard does not support booting from NVMe so you'd only be able to use the drive as storage and would not be able to boot an OS from it.

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
This helps me so much. Just one last doubt: This and the NVMe will be the only things I'll need to buy and change right?

Thank you!

Yes it should be so. It was the first card when I googled, so it might not be the better or cheapest card. By the way as you will be playing with the videos will do many writes. Right? SSDs do not like to be written that much, so buy good SSDs. It is better for your case than to go with cheaper drives. If it was just for gaming I would not recommend it.

What are all of your specs?
You have an old lga1155 motherboard.
What cpu are you using?
Likely your performance problems are more cpu related than i/o related.

You have only one pcie x16 slot.
The others are x1 which would not support the speeds that a good pcie drive is capable of.
Possibly if you are only using integrated graphics you could use a fast pcie drive.

There are adapters that fit a x16 slot and can use something like a samsung 970 evo as a data device(not a boot device)

If you want performance, I suspect you need to change out your cpu/motherboard/ram first.

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
What are all of your specs?
You have an old lga1155 motherboard.
What cpu are you using?
Likely your performance problems are more cpu related than i/o related.

You have only one pcie x16 slot.
The others are x1 which would not support the speeds that a good pcie drive is capable of.
Possibly if you are only using integrated graphics you could use a fast pcie drive.

There are adapters that fit a x16 slot and can use something like a samsung 970 evo as a data device(not a boot device)

If you want performance, I suspect you need to change out your cpu/motherboard/ram first.

Good points. He is right. You will not get the highest performance from your NVMe drives. Because I didn't check the PCIx connection (x1) will restrict it. At the new mainboards it is x4. That means 4 times faster.

AceArcade

Commendable
Nov 23, 2019
These are my specs. PLEASE, what should I change?

MACHINE Name: raffi
Processor (CPU): Intel® Core™ i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40 Ghz
RAM Memory installed: 16.0 GB
System Type: 64 bits
Power Supply: Smart 750W 80 plus Bronze
Motherboard: asustek p8h61-m lx3 r2.0
Graphics Card: Geforce GTX 760
Storage: 930 GB Hard Drive Disk
Cooler: Intel Cooler

Your lowest cost and most effective change would be to change to a ssd.
My recommendation is to buy a 1 or 2tb samsung 860 evo sata ssd. 1tb is about $100
Use the samsung ssd migration app to move your c drive to the 860 evo.
Here is a link to the manual and app:
You just run the app to copy your c drive installation to the ssd.
Then, just change the boot order.
After, you can repurpose your HDD for whatever, backup storage would be a good idea.

Everything you do will be quicker.
The ssd will be some 5x faster in sequential reading than your current hard drive.
It will be 40x faster in small random I/o which is what windows does mostly.

So far as cpu power is concerned, there is not much to be done
without changing to a modern ryzen or intel processor.
That will also involve changing the motherboard and getting ddr4 ram.

I would do the ssd first, since it can always be moved to a future new build.

Solution