Asus Windows 8 Slates to Cost as Much as $1300

Status
Not open for further replies.

nbelote

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
I can't justify using one for anything other than consumption so as little as possible right now. Give it a few years, when the technology truly catches up to the idea and I can have my gaming/productivity tablet workhorse and we'll see.

"Asus Windows 8 Slates to Cost as Little as $599"

I fixed the title for you, making it sound less negative. Your job now is to change the second half of the "article" to match it (unless, of course, you intended it to sound negative, but who would assume such a preposterous thing?).

ya... the more and I hear about the tablets coming out, the more I am thinking I will stick with a desktop and try and find a large capable phone. Loose the whole laptop/netbook/tablet form factor entirely.

The PC isn't dead, but the laptop will soon be an endangered species.

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
I suspect these are not going to steal tablet sales from Apple/Android unless the OS/ apps end up being amazing.
$1200 for a tablet with windows 8? I think a laptop would be a better choice. I would love more competition in the tablet arena but this isn't going to cut it...

I'll wait for a proper review before passing final judgment. Up till now it's previews and hype.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Price aside, I wonder if ASUS' programming support groups are extended to Windows 8 devices? Because if the price doesn't discourage people from buying these tablets, their software support for sure will. Pooch screw after pooch screw on their Android tablets has 100% turned me off form any ASUS device ever again. Their support on standard windows laptops hasn't been the best either--or rather, if you were unlucky enough to buy one of their less-popular laptops, good luck expecting decent BIOS or firmware updates. Their UL80J laptop support fiasco really pissed me off, and then they got me again with my TF101 and constant crap with each ICS OTA update since Honeycomb. No more ASUS devices for me.

I'm just gonna say what we are all thinking...
Why would someone buy an 11" slate when they can get a full power (and larger screen size) laptop for less?

Lets see.... gaming laptop or a stupid little tablet, oh no, hard choice!

Kindle HD? sure, it's a fair price
If you want proformance the Nexus 7 has the same CPU for HUNDREDS less... I don't think microsoft is going to steal anyone away from the Android OS.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
At $799 for the cheapest model (include the cost of the keyboard, can't use Office without one) I'd spend the money and get a laptop with more power. I already have a 10" A500 tablet with a keyboard that cost a lot less that I use for productivity purposes. I couldn't justify the cost of a table at that price, I'd imaging the only people who would consider one are the same people looking at iPads.

Dec 2, 2011
Why would I want to pay so much for a shitty laptop in a different form factor with only windows store approved apps for programs and then buy a keyboard dock for a ridiculous amount of money?

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
It's a preliminary roadmap of prices, because when MS prices the Surface $200 cheaper for RT and $400 cheaper for Pro then Asus will sell precisely ZERO units, they are all waiting on MS here

baconeater

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
Believe me when I say I DO NOT own any apple products, but where are all the comments saying "apple is to expensive" "iCrap cost to much compared to it's competitors!"

99% of comments on TH knocks apple, until someone comes out with something more expensive. Where are the haters?!!

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
[citation][nom]baconeater[/nom]Believe me when I say I DO NOT own any apple products, but where are all the comments saying "apple is to expensive" "iCrap cost to much compared to it's competitors!" 99% of comments on TH knocks apple, until someone comes out with something more expensive. Where are the haters?!![/citation]

I don't think words can even describe how overpriced and bad of a deal that product is.

brizzelsprout

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
The surface tabs are going to explode off the shelves. Even at these prices.

What everyone is forgetting is the corporate sector. Apple anything (other than iphone) is a complete pain to get to work in a AD driven environment. Android is a good alternative but still wont hold up because of how easy it is to get spyware on them.

Once you are able to buy a tab and join it to your work domain its game over. You just simply log in and have access to everything just like your workstation. This will be amazing for epmloyers. This is going to be the real introduction of the tablet into the workplace.

Hands down will destroy all other tablets.

biggiebody

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
[citation][nom]baconeater[/nom]Believe me when I say I DO NOT own any apple products, but where are all the comments saying "apple is to expensive" "iCrap cost to much compared to it's competitors!" 99% of comments on TH knocks apple, until someone comes out with something more expensive. Where are the haters?!![/citation]

Are you even reading the comments? Everyone is saying it's to expensive. Everyone saying it's cheaper to get an actual laptop....

G

FYI, the Taichi *is* a notebook, only with dual screens. You can use it as a laptop (with full Core i5 specs) or just flip the screen and use it as a tablet.

So, you basically get a laptop AND a tablet for that price. And Windows 8. Sot so bad I guess. Ok, this is not a gaming laptop but again, it's not as bad as it may look like.

These prices are too expletive-deleted high! Where is the disconnect? Are the manufacturers refusing to thin their profit margins? Does Microsoft simply not understand how much these products cost to manufacture? What are these people thinking?

The Vivo Tab (x86) is a glorified netbook! How can they possibly justify charging $1000 for a tablet plus a keyboard? That is literally twice as much as they should be charging. $250 for netbook specs plus $250 for the premium screen, touch sensitivity, extra battery, and novelty factor. End of discussion.

The Vivo Tab RT is also ludicrously priced. At $600 with the keyboard dock, the Vivo Tab RT might compete against the iPad, but given that the full-blown Vivo Tab shouldn't cost more than $500, the reality is they need to be selling the RT tablet at $300 with a $100 keyboard dock. Again, they're talking about pricing it at twice that.

Vorador2

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
If they wanted to make a dent in the market, this is not the way to do it. The entry point is way too pricey to get the mass market to buy them.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
To me, tablets are best for browsing and reading ebooks but not for dong long productive work. Android would do just fine. For real work, watching videos and gaming, I would use a desktop or laptop. And i could get a good laptop at those quoted prices for the W8 slates.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]"Asus Windows 8 Slates to Cost as Little as $599"I fixed the title for you, making it sound less negative. Your job now is to change the second half of the "article" to match it (unless, of course, you intended it to sound negative, but who would assume such a preposterous thing?).[/citation]

Actually you are wrong. Conventional wisdom is that a tablet would be in the $5-600 range. A higher end $1300 tablet is unusual -- therefore it is the thrust of the story. Shes trying to get clicks, and aggressive headlines get more clicks than boring ones.

I agree that she could have gone with "range from 599-1300" though.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
[citation][nom]brizzelsprout[/nom]The surface tabs are going to explode off the shelves. Even at these prices. What everyone is forgetting is the corporate sector. Apple anything (other than iphone) is a complete pain to get to work in a AD driven environment. Android is a good alternative but still wont hold up because of how easy it is to get spyware on them. Once you are able to buy a tab and join it to your work domain its game over. You just simply log in and have access to everything just like your workstation. This will be amazing for epmloyers. This is going to be the real introduction of the tablet into the workplace.Hands down will destroy all other tablets.[/citation]

I agree this is the ideal, but in this case wouldn't companies rather keep the processing power in the network/system and use tablets only as access devices? That makes a lot more sense to me and to most IT administrators as well.

hannibal

Distinguished
These prices are more from this planet than those rumored Surface prices... These are more like ultrabook devices than normal tablets. Interesting to see if MS can really sell surface any cheaper. Latest messages from MS has said that it will be in iPad category price wise... So these are allso guite close...

Status
Not open for further replies.