Question ASUS WS Z390 Pro motherboard sometimes does not recognize Samsung NVMe M.2 memory

May 28, 2022
Hi, WS Z390 Pro is a workstation motherboard. It was running properly 24h during last two years with Intel I5 CPU, no graphic card, one SSD disk and Samsung M.2. 2 TB disk under Linux ....

... and one day without any obvious cause the board refused to recognize the M.2 mem.

I remember there where some problems with secure boot when I installer M.2 mem, but then everything was ok. I tried all possible BIOS Setup options and M.2 beguin to work again, when I put it into a PCIe add-on card for M.2 memories. Well, for four days only and then it stopped again. I send the mem to Samsung to check it and I bought a simmilar one Samsung NVME 980 PRO for the meantime. The new mem worked for one day and refused to be recognized too. Well obviously it is not the problem of the mem but the problem of the motherboard - I thought. Yet Samsung recognised the reclamation and send me the money for M.2 back !
Well it needed 10 days more to discuss it with ASUS and the could't help. They recognised my reclamation and they send me a completely new board. But new memories did not work in a new board ! Well I pulled out the other disk and the M.2 with the motherboard alone did not work either. I use Open SUSE Linux, but all this happens before any operating system is loaded. I simply do not see M.2 disk in BIOS setup.

Then somebody told me - after 2 years of 24h work the connectors might get dirty, and one have to clean it with some gasoline solvent for cleaning, which I did. And the board started to work properly with M.2 mem ! But for two days only !

A possible clue could be that M2. memories are simply incompatible with this board.
Well, how did it work for two years yet ?

Other components cannot cause any problem here: Seasonic 750 W gold power supply, very good water cooling, no hard work, no overlocking, new BIOS version 1303 .

Samsung offers a program controlling and showing all parameters or their disk, called "magician". Unfortunately the linux version, which they support has only exe programs for Windows inside and I cannot use it.

Any ideas how to make it work ?

Last edited:
May 28, 2022
Well, I do succeded to access M.2. What one needs:

1. power off and PSU for several hours
  2. CMOS reset
  3. change the place, where M.2 is mounted
4.Then M.2 is noticed on the BIOS initial screen and
5. a message before BIOS setup appears:

Please enter setup to recover BIOS setting
After setting up Intel(R) Optane Memeory or the RAID configuration was built,
SATA Mode Selection must be changed to RAID mode to avoid unknown issues.
Press F1 to run SETUP

I never used RAID and I don't want to. Is it truly neccessary ?
I am speaking of the situation of the mainboard with one M.2 disk only.
One needs two disks for RAID AFAIK.

Nevertheless after F1 and the setup without change M.2 disappeared again
from the BIOS screen, but i succeded to mount it from the Linux !

My clue is:
The board has a messy BIOS interface. One cannot clean everything
with CMOS reset ! But even then the change of place, where M.2 is put in is neccesary for it to be recognized. It means, that it is noticed somewhere. This is an obvious programming error.

May 28, 2022
Last edited:
May 28, 2022
After two years or more each CMOS-Battery is over. One has to replace it. Too weak battery, which I had could explain some problems.
But after replacing I still cannot access NMVa memry.