[SOLVED] ASUS X550CA HDD partition info needed

Oct 20, 2019
First off, I'm new here. I know just enough about PCs to get me in trouble . . .

I've got this laptop which was given to me new back around 2014?

It has Win 8.1

The HDD is 500 GB, the OS C: partition is 185 GB of which is 94.7 GB is now free space.

The DATA D: partition is 258 GB of which 257 GB is free space.

I've never used the DATA D: and have always wondered why it is so large.
Do I need this wasted space?
Can I use it to copy files to?

Thanks for any help!

Solution
You can use if for anything you want. Just direct them to D:
This could be programs (Change the install directory to D: )
Launcher games (Make a Steam/origin/uplay folder on D: and add those locations to the library and then you can move or install games there)
Documents, music, photo's , videos (make respective folders on D: and then add those folders to the library locations for that heading)
Downloads ( make a downloads folder and set your browsers to use it)

or if it's empty (or can be), delete it in disk management (rt click on it and select delete) and then expand/extend C: to incorporate the space (rt click on C: and select extend). This can only add unallocated space directly to the right of C: so if there is another small...

popatim

Titan
Launcher games (Make a Steam/origin/uplay folder on D: and add those locations to the library and then you can move or install games there)
Documents, music, photo's , videos (make respective folders on D: and then add those folders to the library locations for that heading)

or if it's empty (or can be), delete it in disk management (rt click on it and select delete) and then expand/extend C: to incorporate the space (rt click on C: and select extend). This can only add unallocated space directly to the right of C: so if there is another small partition in between then it won't work. Don't delete the small partition if it's there, it might be important, just link us to a screenshot of it that you host on an image sharing site.

Solution
Oct 20, 2019

or if it's empty (or can be), delete it in disk management (rt click on it and select delete) and then expand/extend C: to incorporate the space (rt click on C: and select extend). This can only add unallocated space directly to the right of C: so if there is another small partition in between then it won't work. Don't delete the small partition if it's there, it might be important, just link us to a screenshot of it that you host on an image sharing site.

Don't have a image host . . . who/where do you suggest? I did take a screenshot

Oct 20, 2019

I think I got it . . is cubeupload okay to use?

here's the screenshot . .

http://u.cubeupload.com/eRazorGuy/Screenshot4.png

popatim

Titan
Have you made your recovery media yet for this Asus? Once we do this that bios factory image isn't likely to work or if it does it will probably wipe and reformat the HDD. If you don't plan on using it then it can be deleted as well. It is likely old and out-dated.

Me, After insuring nothing in D: is needed and making a full drive backup in case something goes wrong, I would delete those last 3 partitions and then, in Disk Management, right click on the C: partition (in the lower section of the Disk Management window) and select Extend. I like having one big C: drive . I do not recommend skipping the 'Make a backup' step for anytime that you mess with partitions.

I

Oct 20, 2019
Have you made your recovery media yet for this Asus? Once we do this that bios factory image isn't likely to work or if it does it will probably wipe and reformat the HDD. If you don't plan on using it then it can be deleted as well. It is likely old and out-dated.

Me, After insuring nothing in D: is needed and making a full drive backup in case something goes wrong, I would delete those last 3 partitions and then, in Disk Management, right click on the C: partition (in the lower section of the Disk Management window) and select Extend. I like having one big C: drive . I do not recommend skipping the 'Make a backup' step for anytime that you mess with partitions.

I
Not quite sure of what you are asking . . . especially about bios. Here are snaps of D: and snaps of folders contents.

ASUSX550CA Data D Contents
https://cubeupload.com/im/eRazorGuy/ASUSX550CADataD.png

ASUSX550CA Data D WINDOWS BT
https://cubeupload.com/im/eRazorGuy/DataDWINDOWSBT1.png

ASUSX550CA Data D bae74e406bffd2d01cca16
https://cubeupload.com/im/eRazorGuy/DataDbae74e406bffd2d.png

I have True Image 2020 and made backup a few weeks ago also have a cloned HDD. I've never messed with Data D:. If anything on it is not original then some other program did it, not me.

I have always had just a big C: on my desktops and that's why this Data D thing confused me about taking up so much space on the HDD. So, I've always just used C: on this ASUSX550CA.

After you look at the files in Data D: let me know if they are needed . . . then we'll make a big C: HDD. Again, thank you so much for the help!

Oh, can we discuss backups here or have to use a different forum? I have more questions.

Last edited:

popatim

Titan
Both of those are normally used by the windows update process. But the MPSigStub in that odd folder has also been know as a virus since the real one is usually in Windows System32. Make a copy of both (onto C: or a flashdrive) and then delete them from D:. Run windows update and see if it works.

popatim

Titan
Clickt he start button and type in Explorer. When Windows Explorer (or file explorer depending on which windows you have) shows up in the list Right click on it and select Run as Administrator. See if they can be copied now and then deleted. Neither are essential.

Otherwise, yes, imaging it with something like Macrium Reflect Free, which uses shadow copy, will definitely do the job.

Oct 20, 2019
True Image has an "Exlude" feature . . . I'm going to see if I can clone the C: on the HDD to a Samsung SSD which will hopefully give me one big C: drive.
[/QUOTE]

Oct 20, 2019
Clickt he start button and type in Explorer. When Windows Explorer (or file explorer depending on which windows you have) shows up in the list Right click on it and select Run as Administrator. See if they can be copied now and then deleted. Neither are essential.

Otherwise, yes, imaging it with something like Macrium Reflect Free, which uses shadow copy, will definitely do the job.

No, it still will not allow copy. After I clone and backup I'll try to delete just out of being curious, thanks!!!

Oct 20, 2019

No, it still will not allow copy. After I clone and backup I'll try to delete just out of being curious, thanks!!!

ETA: this is Windows 8.1 which came on this ASUS laptop. I hate it more than Windows 10.

After I get all this stuff done I might go back with my beloved Win 7 on the ASUS.

Win 8 & 10 are way above my paygrade.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2019
that's a great program!

was cloning HDD last night with Acronis True Image, got error on disk and it stopped clone operation. Have to run chkdsk /r . . . that HDD I was copying to is the original from when the PC was new . . . gonna try the new Samsung SSD tomorrow. I'll let you know what happens.

ETA: CHKDSK alternative disk error checking software to repair and fix bad sectors on Hard Drive?
Do you use any software besides MS chdskk?

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2019
that's a great program!

was cloning HDD last night with Acronis True Image, got error on disk and it stopped clone operation. Have to run chkdsk /r . . . that HDD I was copying to is the original from when the PC was new . . . gonna try the new Samsung SSD tomorrow. I'll let you know what happens.

ETA: CHKDSK alternative disk error checking software to repair and fix bad sectors on Hard Drive?
Do you use any software besides MS chdskk?

okay, got it done, put clone copy on an SSD for backup. Original HDD still will not let me copy or delete. No matter what I don't have permission. What gives with that? I did delete the windows folder on Data D: and it restarted okay. What now?
https://cubeupload.com/im/eRazorGuy/DataDbae74e406bffd2d.png

Last edited: