Asus X551C laptop will not boot - Blue Screen - Need Help

chrisbek

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
Hello

I have recently received from a friend a laptop that will not boot into Windows. The laptop is running Windows 8 from what I can tell and the model is an ASUS X551C.

I asked what had happened. They said their daughter was watching a youtube video and it stopped playing and they shut down the laptop.

Since then it has not worked properly.

Upon powering the laptop up a blue screen appears reading:

Recovery

Your PC needs to be repaired.

A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed.

Error code: 0xc0000225

You'll need to use the recovery tools on your installation media. If you don't have any installation media (like a a disk or USB device), contact your system administrator or PC manufacturer.

Press Enter to Try again
Press F8 for Startup Settings
Press ESC for UEFI Firmware Settings

Pressing enter brings the same screen back except it says:

File:\\Windows\system32\winload.efi
Error code: 0xc0000225

Pressing F8 does nothing.
Pressing ESC takes me to the BIOS.

I have tried to press F9 during bootup to see if the laptop will launch its recovery partition but nothing happens.

I have created a Windows 8 bootable thumbdrive from another desktop PC.

Using the thumbdrive I have tried:

Startup Repair choosing Windows 8 as the targeted system. It goes through "Diagnosing your PC", followed by "Attempting repairs", followed by a blue screen saying Startup Repair couldn't repair your PC. Press "Advanced options" to try other options to repair your PC or "Shut down" to turn off your PC. Log file: \System32\Logfiles\Srt\StrTrail.txt.

I have tried System Restore choosing Windows 8 as the targeted system. A dialog box appears saying System Restore could not find the offline boot volume. Please ensure it is currently accessible. Close. Upon closing a new dialogue box appears saying "There was an unexpected error: The parameter is incorrect. (0x80070057). Please close system restore and try again. Ok.

I try to reset this pc option. I first choose the option Keep my files. Choose Windows 8 as the targeted system. After selecting this option a new screen appears saying "The drive where Windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again."

I try the option reset this pc remove everything choosing Windows 8 as the targeted system. The next screen appears saying Unable to reset your PC. A required drive partition is missing.

Using a command prompt from the recovery media and the diskpart command I am able to select Disk 0

Upon listing the partitions I see the following:

Partition 1 Reserved Size:128MB Offset: 17KB
Partition 2 System Size: 100MB Offset: 129MB
Partition 3 Recovery Size: 900MB Offset: 229MB
Partition 4 Primary Size: 677GB Offset: 1129MB
Partition 5 Recovery Size: 450MB Offset: 678GB
Partition 6 Recovery Size: 20GB Offset: 20GB

Hoping for some help because at this point I am not sure what is going on.

Solution

hiyabusared

Reputable
Dec 24, 2015
Usually when you get the Unable to reset your pc error. it usually means the MBR is corrupt. Have you tried booting into CMD and doing Run Check Disk? The link I posted is to help with this error for windows 8/8.1/10. Sorry if you've tried all of this but with what I've read the MBR being corrupt usually just best to reinstall the entire OS.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/the-drive-where-windows-is-installed-is-locked

chrisbek

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010

Ok so I did the following

Using a USB stick with Windows 8 Recovery Media again I booted to a command prompt.

bootrec /scanos
bootrec /rebuildbcd
bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot

All the commands completed successfully.

I rebooted the computer and what happens now is the computer boots and says

"Preparing Automatic Repair"

Screen goes black for about 20 seconds and now says "Diagnosing your PC"

Screen goes black for about 20 seconds and now says "Repairing Disk Errors. This might take over an hour to complete"

Now I let the computer do its thing. 30 minutes later the computer looks like its rebooting and its finished its repairs. However it once again starts off by doing the same thing "Preparing Automatic Repair", "Diagnosing your PC", "Repairing Disk Errors. This might take over an hour to complete"

So the same thing keeps happening.

I grabbed my USB media stick and booted the laptop up to a command prompt and decide to run chkdsk.

chkdsk c: /F /R /C /X

The command executes and this is the results:

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure.

File record segment 236592 is unreadable.
File record segment 236593 is unreadable.
File record segment 236594 is unreadable.
File record segment 236595 is unreadable.

336128 file records processed.
File verification complete.
5231 large records processed.
4 bad file records processed.

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage....
An unspecified error occurred (6672732e637878 58f) Failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50.

I talked with the individual who owns the laptop. They explained to me that the laptop kept looping through the automatic repair and never boots into Windows.

So not sure what to do here atm.

hiyabusared

Reputable
Dec 24, 2015

That is a straight answer of a failed hard drive. Time to replace it. Sorry to hear it's come to that.

Solution