[SOLVED] Asus x551m fan not spinning

Jun 29, 2020
Please help because I am beyond my limits here. So, I'm not sure if this is in the right area but I'm hoping so. I've been working on this laptop for a while now and I have everything right except the CPU fan. Well the only fan in the case. I have replaced the fan and also the entire motherboard and this fan will still not spin during idle or throttle. The laptop idles at around 70 degrees Celsius and I can't get the fan to spin on both boards. I struggle to believe that I have 2 fans that don't work but it is possible. Before I buy another fan, I was hoping someone might have some further insight. Everything has been cleaned and I'm running on 4gb low voltage ram.

Thanks for reading and hoping someone can help.

Solution
It is odd indeed that two fans and two motherboards have the same issue...but it could be that the two motherboards have the same issue and that's very common on used parts.
If you replaced the fan and the motherboard, then either the fan or the motherboard (or fan connector) are faulty.
Make sure the fan shroud is not blocking the fan from spinning.
You could test the fans by connecting it to a 9-12v source...suchs as a 9v battery.
Does the laptop shuts down when hot (90°C and above.)?

Jun 29, 2020
If you replaced the fan and the motherboard, then either the fan or the motherboard (or fan connector) are faulty.
Make sure the fan shroud is not blocking the fan from spinning.
You could test the fans by connecting it to a 9-12v source...suchs as a 9v battery.
Does the laptop shuts down when hot (90°C and above.)?

The laptop has not exceeded 90 degrees yet, it just idles between 60-70. I tried to throttle it a bit to see if it was temperature triggered but it got to 80 and still nothing. I have tested both motherboards with both fans and I find it highly unlikely I have 2 faulty motherboards since one worked prior to being shipped. I'm really baffled at this point but am going to the store soon to grab a 9v battery and I'm going to look for a clip with cables to test the fans.

Jun 29, 2020
It is odd indeed that two fans and two motherboards have the same issue...but it could be that the two motherboards have the same issue and that's very common on used parts.

I'm starting to think you're right. I'm not sure how to test the fan port on the motherboard but I did manage to power both fans with a 9v battery. I also plugged the fan in, powered on the laptop and ran the multimeter on the same location I powered the fan from (solder joints) and there was no current detected.

Jun 29, 2020
You will have to test capacitors around the fan connector and find the shorted capacitor(s).

I think I'm just gonna try and return the board and see if they have another if not call it quits. I'm not that advanced with navigating my way around a circuit board I know pretty much the basics and there's not exactly and exact guide on what to do aha. Thanks so much for everything.