Question Asus X553M randomly freezing ?

peter762033

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2014
Hi,

I've got an old Asus X553M which has been randomly freezing, I then have to switch off and reboot. I've done a fresh install of Windows 10, it was freezing before with Windows 8 as well.
I've tried a few hardware upgrades which I'd hoped would solve the issue but it's still happening. I upgraded the hdd to an ssd and upgraded the ram to 8gb.
I know it's a relatively low grade laptop, but it's only needed for word processing and Internet browsing so thought it was worth saving.
Does anybody have any idea what could be causing the freeze and how to fix it?

Thanks,
Pete

Hi,

I've got an old Asus x553m which has been randomly freezing, I then have to switch off and reboot. I've done a fresh install of Windows 10, it was freezing before with Windows 8 as well.
I've tried a few hardware upgrades which I'd hoped would solve the issue but it's still happening. I upgraded the hdd to an ssd and upgraded the ram to 8gb.
I know it's a relatively low grade laptop, but it's only needed for word processing and Internet browsing so thought it was worth saving.
Does anybody have any idea what could be causing the freeze and how to fix it?

Thanks,
Pete
It's got a bug on the system or it's starting to die, what all have you done to try and fix the machine? Have you updated the bios or drivers for the main system operations

peter762033

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2014
It's got a bug on the system or it's starting to die, what all have you done to try and fix the machine? Have you updated the bios or drivers for the main system operations
Thanks for your reply. I've had a look around online and reinstalled smart gesture which some people said worked but didn't for me.
I thought it could be a driver issue, which driver could potentially be causing the problem?
How would I update the bios?
The laptop is my partners and she said that the problem started soon after purchase. She took it back to the shop where they claimed to fix it but obviously not. It's sat unused for a few years since.

Thanks,
Pete

Thanks for your reply. I've had a look around online and reinstalled smart gesture which some people said worked but didn't for me.
I thought it could be a driver issue, which driver could potentially be causing the problem?
How would I update the bios?
The laptop is my partners and she said that the problem started soon after purchase. She took it back to the shop where they claimed to fix it but obviously not. It's sat unused for a few years since.

Thanks,
Pete
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/.../GPIO_Intel_Win10_64_VER60410135100155518.zip

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Apps_for_Win10/Winflash/Winflash_Win10_64_VER301.zip

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...A_Intel_BayTrail_M_Win10_64_VER1018104252.zip

In the order posted you will want to install these

peter762033

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2014
Thanks for your reply and links, much appreciated.

I'm trying to install the driver from the first link you provided (GPIO_Intel_Win10_64_VER60410135100155518) but when I open the file PNPINST64 I get an error box coming up saying Intel SoC GPIO Controller Driver. What could be causing this? Should I move on and install the other 2?

Thanks again,
Pete

Thanks for your reply and links, much appreciated.

I'm trying to install the driver from the first link you provided (GPIO_Intel_Win10_64_VER60410135100155518) but when I open the file PNPINST64 I get an error box coming up saying Intel SoC GPIO Controller Driver. What could be causing this? Should I move on and install the other 2?

Thanks again,
Pete
The error you are getting most commonly denotes the hdd or ssd is faulty and dying, or the windows install on the PC has failed and the main files that control the device are corrupted. These are the chipset controllers which should be pre recognized in a since by all systems and included to a fault for basic functions of the cpu

peter762033

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2014
The error you are getting most commonly denotes the hdd or ssd is faulty and dying, or the windows install on the PC has failed and the main files that control the device are corrupted. These are the chipset controllers which should be pre recognized in a since by all systems and included to a fault for basic functions of the cpu
Thanks again for your reply. The ssd installed is brand new and the freezing was still happening with the original hdd. So we could say it isn't hdd related? I did a fresh install of Windows 10, might it be worth reinstalling?
I read elsewhere online that someone said the WiFi card was the culprit. Is that likely?

Thanks again for your reply. The ssd installed is brand new and the freezing was still happening with the original hdd. So we could say it isn't hdd related? I did a fresh install of Windows 10, might it be worth reinstalling?
I read elsewhere online that someone said the WiFi card was the culprit. Is that likely?
The wifi card can be a issue in some systems, I won't deny that however the likelihood that the wifi card is the issue is slim to none. Not that it isn't 100%, what was the new ssd that was installed it could be a doa without being fully dead this does happen "ALOT" Especially with certain Kingston drives certain seagates and Intel ssds don't like certain systems their are number of veriables. If you do think it could be the wifi card a easy test would be goto device manager make sure Ethernet is up to date, and active then disable the wifi card for a while this should nuteralize any action the wifi card taking

peter762033

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2014
The wifi card can be a issue in some systems, I won't deny that however the likelihood that the wifi card is the issue is slim to none. Not that it isn't 100%, what was the new ssd that was installed it could be a doa without being fully dead this does happen "ALOT" Especially with certain Kingston drives certain seagates and Intel ssds don't like certain systems their are number of veriables. If you do think it could be the wifi card a easy test would be goto device manager make sure Ethernet is up to date, and active then disable the wifi card for a while this should nuteralize any action the wifi card taking

The ssd that I installed is a 240gb Kingston A400, is there a way to do a health check? I'll have a go at disabling the wifi card and see if that helps.

Thanks,
Pete

The ssd that I installed is a 240gb Kingston A400, is there a way to do a health check? I'll have a go at disabling the wifi card and see if that helps.

Thanks,
Pete
The kingstone a400 is a mass of self destruction I don't recommend it I have seen 1000s of post where that drive was "fine$ but was a extreme empedence on the system slowing them down causing blue screens causing black screens deleting drivers on it own it fails to hold memory and corrupts the moment a os is started on it

peter762033

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2014
The kingstone a400 is a mass of self destruction I don't recommend it I have seen 1000s of post where that drive was "fine$ but was a extreme empedence on the system slowing them down causing blue screens causing black screens deleting drivers on it own it fails to hold memory and corrupts the moment a os is started on it
Thanks for your reply. I wish I'd known that before buying that ssd! What ssd would you recommend?
The laptop was having the exact same issue even with the original hdd. If we were to assume the ssd is ok is there a next step I can take?

Thanks again,
Pete

Thanks for your reply. I wish I'd known that before buying that ssd! What ssd would you recommend?
The laptop was having the exact same issue even with the original hdd. If we were to assume the ssd is ok is there a next step I can take?

Thanks again,
Pete
If you are going for any ssd I would recommend a cheaper Seagate, western digital, and kingstone is a good brand but for se reason they got supper unlucky with the a400. Western Digital 1TB WD Blue SA510 SATA Internal Solid State Drive SSD - SATA III 6 Gb/s, 2.5"/7mm, Up to 560 MB/s - WDS100T3B0A https://a.co/d/c5ikATA may not be the best or fastest ssd, however it's one of the best value for the buck and reliable
Saddly as far as assuming the ssd is good I can't not with everything you are discribing it's a failure on the ssd part and the hdd they die over the dumbest thing you flick a hdd in the right place it's done for I never can bring myself to recommend them anymore.

peter762033

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2014
If you are going for any ssd I would recommend a cheaper Seagate, western digital, and kingstone is a good brand but for se reason they got supper unlucky with the a400. Western Digital 1TB WD Blue SA510 SATA Internal Solid State Drive SSD - SATA III 6 Gb/s, 2.5"/7mm, Up to 560 MB/s - WDS100T3B0A https://a.co/d/c5ikATA may not be the best or fastest ssd, however it's one of the best value for the buck and reliable
Saddly as far as assuming the ssd is good I can't not with everything you are discribing it's a failure on the ssd part and the hdd they die over the dumbest thing you flick a hdd in the right place it's done for I never can bring myself to recommend them anymore.

Thanks for the recommendations much appreciated, I'll make a note for further laptops.

I disabled the Broadcom network adapter and I'm now using a usb wifi adapter. Amazingly the laptop hasn't frozen once in the last 5 days. It seems to have done the trick which seems a bit random! I'll update if the problem reoccurs.

Thanks,
Pete