Question Asus X555BP laptop has blank screen unless PSU is connected ?

slippyjim

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2012
Hi,

My friend gave me her Asus F555BP-XO027T laptop (this is the number printed on the bottom but doesnt exist on the Asus website, it seems it is actually a X555BP) with a strange problem - the screen is completely blank unless the PSU is connected. The laptop is still running when the PSU is removed just the screen is completely blank.

The blank screen issue happens 100% of the time regardless of whether the laptop is in Windows, installing Windows, loading Windows or in BIOS so it cant be a driver issue and to my mind can only be a BIOS or hardware problem. I read about a Dell laptop doing the same and the solution was to downgrade the BIOS, I have tried to downgrade but the Asus Winflash app won't let me downgrade, it will only let me upgrade the BIOS.

Anyone have any ideas to fix this?

Thanks

Lutfij

Titan
Please don't downgrade laptop BIOSes since they can and will, most times, brick and leave you with an expensive paper weight. If anything you move forward with BIOS updates. As for the BIOS, what version are you currently on? Can you elaborate on the issue with a video perhaps? To me, if you're referring to the power brick being plugged out and causing the black screen while the subsequent reconnection brings back display, then the issue is with your hardware, the motherboard or power delivery circuit in particular.

You could rule out a software issue by seeing if everything is up to date, drivers included. Prior to the OS, you should make sure you're on the latest BIOS version. On that note, I can only find mention/support for an Asus F555BA, nothing with an A at the end.

slippyjim

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2012
It has BIOS version 326 which is the latest
like I said, on the Asus website it is listed as X555BP

Its not drivers as the problem occurs before windows is loaded.

If power supply:
  • is connected everything is good
  • is not connected the screen goes black but computer continues to run