Question [Asus x555lj] Laptop odd overheating, what to do?

Rui_Cardona_1

Reputable
Jun 13, 2019
My laptop, which already has a few years and has been recently given an SSD has been acting up and here's why:

I don't know exactly how it happened but sometime around this year the computer has started speeding up the fan to full speed with simple tasks like opening a browser or simply turning on, the fans stay at that speed constantly.

I have no idea why this happens because the temps stay at 60 and 70 which shouldn't make it panic like that. Drivers are up-to-date and there's no apparent issues with the windows installations.

What can I do?

I have no images to put here, but will provide if necessary. I have cleaned my laptop fan.

The cpu fan speeds up to lower the cpu temperature caused by several things, blocked air vents and heatsinks from inside build in dust, high room temperatures, blocking the bottom side of the laptop preventing this way the air vents to remove the hot air out of the chassi. Check also the power saver mode on your windows 8/10.

I have cleaned my laptop fan.
You mean the CPU cooler fan? How did you manage to do this? Did you disassemble the laptop? Since I am not sure if there is any easy access - cover that can be removed/unscrew.

Rui_Cardona_1

Reputable
Jun 13, 2019
The cpu fan speeds up to lower the cpu temperature caused by several things, blocked air vents and heatsinks from inside build in dust, high room temperatures, blocking the bottom side of the laptop preventing this way the air vents to remove the hot air out of the chassi. Check also the power saver mode on your windows 8/10.

You mean the CPU cooler fan? How did you manage to do this? Did you disassemble the laptop? Since I am not sure if there is any easy access - cover that can be removed/unscrew.

Hi thanks for the reply, Yes I do mean the CPU cooling fan and also the only fan in it.

To access the fan itself I had to unscrew the whole motherboard out. In the process I made sure to clean the chassis of the computer andthe fan also made sure there was nothing obstructing the air vents which are but a simple cut out of straight lines of the chassis.

I checked power saving mode after some googling and it should be set to the optimal setting which name I do not recall, room temperature isn't higher than 20-25 and the vents are not blocked.

I checked power saving mode after some googling and it should be set to the optimal setting which name I do not recall
About this, and since you are talking about a laptop, if you want to keep in the Power Saver profile to "Performance" ensure that your speedstep is enabled and windows processor power manager has 5-10% min processor rate, processor fan profile is set to active and 100% max processor rate.

It is important to setup this values otherwise you are lowering your CPU's life drastically creating an environment of early death due to thermal fatigue.

And +1 to laptop cooling pad, if you want to invest money into this.

Last edited: