Question Asus X570 SPDIF Audio static and screeching.

reubenno

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2012
Hello. Today I noticed that there was a screeching and static popping sound coming from my Optical Audio DAC/Amp.
This issue occurs when I preview video files in Windows 10, and when I open the files it takes quite a while for the audio to actually come through.
The other audio ports on the PC work fine (both front and back). I have tried another optical audio cable and experience the same issues. I've tried rolling back drivers and updating drivers to no avail. I'm not sure if it is an issue with the amp/dac, or the Realtek digital audio output.

Youtube has no issues with playback, it seems to be only media files stored locally on my PC. Whenever I go to play one I hear a pop, as though the amp is being turned on.

My PC specs are as follows.
3700X
Asus X570 TUF.
16gb Crucial Ballistix LT.
SMSL Sd793ii (amp/dac).

This issue occurs through the headphone jack and the speaker outputs on the back of the amp too.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Last edited:

reubenno

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2012
It may be worth trying a third party media player to narrow down the issue, I recommend VLC over the in built windows one. I presume it's a software issue since Youtube plays fine.

Thanks
for your reply. VLC has the same issues. It's when I hover over the video in file explorer and it begins to autoplay, I get this horrible distortion and screeching.

It doesnt happen with the other audio ports. I'm unsure if this autoplay preview behaviour is normal for Windows 10, I'm playing .mkv files.

Thanks again.

Jul 30, 2020
Hello,

I'm not sure if it's best to start a new thread or tag onto this one... the issue is related...

I've recently bought an Audio gd Sparrow and have connected it to the SPDIF port on my MoBo (Asus TUF GAMING X570 PLUS).

In the Windows 10 Advanced sound properties, I'm unable to set above 24 bit 96 KHz but I understand the Sparrow can support 24 bit 192 Khz (no sound is played when I use the windows Test button at that sample rate).

I have done the following to troubleshoot:
  • Upgraded to a fairly decent TosLink cable (Audioquest Forest 1.5m)
  • Upgrade to the latest BIOS (ASUS-2407)
  • Ensured the latest RealTek audio drivers have been installed
Unfortunately no luck.

It will play at 24 bit 192 Khz using the Sparrow's USB interface but I was hoping to use TosLink for it's benefits (no chance of EMI, RFI or ground related issues).

Does anyone have any ideas please?

Thanks in advance
Al