Question Asus x570 tuf gaming - PBO?

ackoman

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
Hello

I've just built a system with an Asus x570 Tuf Gaming mobo, and a Ryzen 3700x cpu.

I've tried activating Precision Boost Override from the Bios, however the clock speed stays at a steady 3.8GHz even under load. However, if I use the Rayzn Master software I can enable PBO and it seems to work fine, as when under load it reaches speeds of 4.3GHz.

I would much rather do it from the BIOS though, but can't understand what I've done wrong. Is there some other setting that I need to enable? Or is the presence of Ryzen Master on my PC overriding the BIOS settings? (I don't think it can be that, as I have tried uninstalling Ryzen Master but the problem persists).

Anyone else had a similar issue?

Thanks.

ackoman

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
Hi

I'm on Bios 1405. I did mention in the OP that I had tried uninstalling Ryzen Master but to no avail.

I do wonder whether something gets left behind when you uninstall which interferes with the system running as it should.

Thanks.

ackoman

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
I managed to get it working by clearing the CMOS. A bit baffled why selecting "optimised defaults" did not have the same effect though.

In hindsight, I think the issue might have been because I had changed the multiplier manually to 38. When I reset the CMOS it reverted to Auto (which doesn't actually appear to be a selectable option, looks like you have to physically type it in rather than select from a list).

Thanks.

Apr 11, 2020
I had the same problem after startung OC Tuner it set it to 4.05 GHz constant. But I figured you can simply type Auto there and everything is back to normal.