[SOLVED] Asus X570 TUF Gaming Power supply compatibly issue

bigal115

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
I am building a new computer with my son and am a bit confused. I am using the Asus Asus X570 TUF Gaming Wifi with AMD 3600 Processor. I went to Microcenter and they did not have the PSU I wanted so the dude recommended the NZXT C650. It has been a while since my last build so it looked good to me. When I tried connecting the wires I got a bit confused. the PSU has 1 24 pin ATX power output, 1 CPU 4+4 Power output and 3 6+2 PCI-E outputs. The Motherboard has the 24 Pin connection which is fine. But also an 8 pin and 4 pin ATX connectos that dont make sense to me at least. the PCI-e 6+2 cable does not fit into the 8 pin connector on the MB. the only connection that alllows me to power up the computer is Just connecting on of the 4 pin wires to the MB. The manual clearly states do not just connect 4 pin as the MB will overheat...its says to connect the 8 pin power plug or the 8 and 4 pin ...This is not possible with this PSU...what am I missing .. ASUS TUF Gaming MB, AMD 3600 CPU, 16 GB ddr4 ram, MSI x5700 MECH OC GPU..

Solution
I am building a new computer with my son and am a bit confused. I am using the Asus Asus X570 TUF Gaming Wifi with AMD 3600 Processor. I went to Microcenter and they did not have the PSU I wanted so the dude recommended the NZXT C650. It has been a while since my last build so it looked good to me. When I tried connecting the wires I got a bit confused. the PSU has 1 24 pin ATX power output, 1 CPU 4+4 Power output and 3 6+2 PCI-E outputs. The Motherboard has the 24 Pin connection which is fine. But also an 8 pin and 4 pin ATX connectos that dont make sense to me at least. the PCI-e 6+2 cable does not fit into the 8 pin connector on the MB. the only connection that alllows me to power up the computer is Just connecting...
I am building a new computer with my son and am a bit confused. I am using the Asus Asus X570 TUF Gaming Wifi with AMD 3600 Processor. I went to Microcenter and they did not have the PSU I wanted so the dude recommended the NZXT C650. It has been a while since my last build so it looked good to me. When I tried connecting the wires I got a bit confused. the PSU has 1 24 pin ATX power output, 1 CPU 4+4 Power output and 3 6+2 PCI-E outputs. The Motherboard has the 24 Pin connection which is fine. But also an 8 pin and 4 pin ATX connectos that dont make sense to me at least. the PCI-e 6+2 cable does not fit into the 8 pin connector on the MB. the only connection that alllows me to power up the computer is Just connecting on of the 4 pin wires to the MB. The manual clearly states do not just connect 4 pin as the MB will overheat...its says to connect the 8 pin power plug or the 8 and 4 pin ...This is not possible with this PSU...what am I missing .. ASUS TUF Gaming MB, AMD 3600 CPU, 16 GB ddr4 ram, MSI x5700 MECH OC GPU..
You have to connect your 1 CPU 4+4 Power output to the 8 pin connector on the MB (you put both). The 4 pin ATX connector on the motherboard is only used if you do extreme overclocking. And then you use both motherboard connectors
The PCI-e 6+2 cable is for the graphic card.
Do not try to connect this PCI-e cable to the motherboard as you could fry the Mobo. Sometimes the cabling is different (although they are both 12 v.)

Last edited:
Solution

bigal115

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
You have to connect your 1 CPU 4+4 Power output to the 8 pin connector on the MB (you put both). The 4 pin ATX connector on the motherboard is only used if you do extreme overclocking. And then you use both motherboard connectors
The PCI-e 6+2 cable is for the graphic card.
Do not try to connect this PCI-e cable to the motherboard as you could fry the Mobo. Sometimes the cabling is different (although they are both 12 v.)
Thank you for confirming...I think there may be something up with the second 4pin ..it will not go into the other half or the single 4 pin connector.