Asus X79 Deluxe Value

Feb 22, 2019
Simple question
I have an Asus X79 Deluxe Motherboard laying around that I barely used, and when I searched it up on Google, prices ranged from around $360 to $400.
Is this motherboard really worth that much, if not how much do you believe it would be worth?
(I found it hard to believe that people would buy a several generation old board for that much)

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Certainly what people are asking on Ebay. Doesn't mean they ever get it.

If you were someone with a need for a high end X79 motherboard...there are certainly scenarios where someone might be willing to pay a lot to get some vital service running or recover data.

However, there are still some new old stock they could buy. And many refurbished boards that would be more price friendly.

A few under $100 even. (Though these looks like low end Chinese products, probably targeted at people picking up used Xeons on the cheap)

It's only worth that much to somebody who doesn't know any better and can't find a realistic deal on what they need, without actually having to look and shop around and ask. For those knuckleheads, these kinds of outrageous prices that get asked might actually sell one here or there. Also, in some instances it IS cheaper to simply buy a board that ought to be 80 bucks, for 300, rather than have to spend 500 on a whole new platform.

The question of whether it's "worth" that, is entirely in the eyes of the buyer. To most of us, it's certainly neither worth it nor realistic. Especially when a semi-knowledgeable person could build a system that actually has some legs to it by adding another 100 bucks.

Feb 22, 2019
It's only worth that much to somebody who doesn't know any better and can't find a realistic deal on what they need, without actually having to look and shop around and ask. For those knuckleheads, these kinds of outrageous prices that get asked might actually sell one here or there. Also, in some instances it IS cheaper to simply buy a board that ought to be 80 bucks, for 300, rather than have to spend 500 on a whole new platform.

The question of whether it's "worth" that, is entirely in the eyes of the buyer. To most of us, it's certainly neither worth it nor realistic. Especially when a semi-knowledgeable person could build a system that actually has some legs to it by adding another 100 bucks.
Certainly what people are asking on Ebay. Doesn't mean they ever get it.

If you were someone with a need for a high end X79 motherboard...there are certainly scenarios where someone might be willing to pay a lot to get some vital service running or recover data.

However, there are still some new old stock they could buy. And many refurbished boards that would be more price friendly.

A few under $100 even. (Though these looks like low end Chinese products, probably targeted at people picking up used Xeons on the cheap)

Makes sense, I wouldn't pay that much for an outdated board. I was curious if there was some reason it could still be worth that much.

Anything that is hard to find or get anymore, is worth a lot, if somebody wants it bad enough. If they want it bad enough, then it's worth it to THEM, but in general it's not to anybody else.

If you needed a mint copy of Dragon magazine #54 to have a complete, full collection of all the TSR issues, then it would be worth a lot more to you than to somebody else who might only be looking around for various copies of older dragon magazine prints because they are casually interested in the content from back then. Need plus demand equals market price.