ASUS X79 System Design Contest Round 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
The ASUS X79 System Design Challenge - Round 3

Exclusively for the Tom's Hardware Community, ASUS is giving away the just-announced, brand spankin' new X79 Motherboards in a contest that will test your skill at building the best of three categories of systems.

Round 1: The COOLEST System
This portion of the contest has ended. Winners will be announced in the news section of the main site.

Round 2: The FASTEST System
This portion of the contest is still ongoing.

Round 3: The ULTIMATE System

In the third and final round, create the most ultimate system you can using the new Rampage IV Extreme Motherboard from ASUS and any ASUS graphics card, and be entered to win a Rampage IV Extreme Motherboard along with an Intel® Core™ i7-3960X socket LGA 2011 processor, a Corsair Vengeance 16GB Quad-Channel Memory Kit and a Corsair Hydro Series H80 CPU Cooler!

Your build must be submitted in this thread to qualify, and should minimally include CPU, Rampage IV Extreme Motherboard, any ASUS Graphics Card, RAM, a hard drive or SSD, Case and Power Supply.

For this third round, stay within $5,000.00 (shipping not included, instant rebates allowed, combos allowed, mail-in rebates not allowed), and please be sure to format your list of components as follows for the sake of our reviewers:

Joe's Crysis 8 Minspec Build
Processor: Component Name and Component Price
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme Motherboard and Price
RAM: Component Name and Component Price
Graphics Card: ASUS Graphics Card and Price
Hard Drive: Component Name and Component Price
Case: Component Name and Component Price
Power Supply: Component Name and Component Price
Cooling: Component Name and Component Price
DVD Burner: Component Name and Component Price

See below for quick-copy/paste text of the BBcode.

[cpp]
Joe's Crysis 8 Minspec Build
Processor: Component Name and Component Price
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme Motherboard and Price
RAM: Component Name and Component Price
Graphics Card: ASUS Graphics Card and Price
Hard Drive: Component Name and Component Price
Case: Component Name and Component Price
Power Supply: Component Name and Component Price
Cooling: Component Name and Component Price
DVD Burner: Component Name and Component Price
[/cpp]

You can also use the Tom's Hardware System Builder to build your recommendation, provided the required components have been added to the Pricegrabber database there, and use the BBCode export option at the bottom of the build. If you do, be sure to include a link in your post to your build on the app for quick viewing.

Once you have your build, you'll need to get the direct link to it here on this thread in order to enter the contest. You can get a direct link by hovering your mouse over the linked date at the top of your system build post in this thread and right-clicking, then clicking "Copy link address". Once you have that, head over to the Contest Entry & Rules Page and sign up! Winners will be chosen at random from the builds that qualify.

To find out more about the newly released X79 Motherboards ASUS, check out the full details here: ASUS Launches Innovative X79 Motherboard Lineup

Good luck!

Stifle

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
The Practitioner, by Stifle

As a public high school science teacher, I found this project to be the perfect way to marry several of my personal passions with my profession.
The Ultimate system for me is the one that allows me to share my personal interests in PC building/customization and gaming with my science students. Only when a student gets excited about something will they exert themselves in order to learn more about it, and if I am not excited about what I teach, most of my students will not be excited about it either.

Functional Build:
Processor+Mobo: Intel Core i7-3930K + ASUS Rampage IV Extreme Motherboard combo for $1004.98
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) at $82.99
Graphics Cards:2x ASUS ENGTX580 GeForce GTX 580's for $999.98
Hard Drives 1: Samsung 830 128Gb SSD at $229.99
Hard Drives 2: 2x SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 1TB (Raid 1) for $219.98 (Even after rebate)
Case 1: Mountain Mods U2-UFO CYO at $349.99
Case 2: 8x 120mm Chrome Grill - Black for $7.92
Case 3: 4x 80mm Chrome Grill - Black for $3.96
Case 4: 4x 80mm Fans for $23.80
Case 5: 8x 120mm Fans for $55.60
Case 6: Scythe 8-Channel Fan Controller at $19.95
Case 7: Universal card reader at $21.99
Case 8: 120mm Hard drive rack at $ 15.99
Case 9: Lamptron anodized aluminum case handles at $39.99
Power Supply: Antec High Current Pro HCP-1200 at $269.99
Water Cooling 1: Swiftech Apogee HD CPU Waterblock at $69.95
Water Cooling 2: 2x Danger Den GTX580 Liquid Cooling Blocks for $239.90
Water Cooling 3: XSPC Acrylic Dual 5.25” Reservoir at $49.95
Water Cooling 4: 2x XSPC EX360 Radiators for $111.90
Water Cooling 5: Danger Den SLI water-bridge kit at $11.95 <combo with blocks>
Water Cooling 6: Swiftech MCP655 Water Pump at $84.95
Water Cooling 7: 20x Hose Clamp for 3/4" OD Tubing (9579K69) for $10.58
Water Cooling 8: 12' of Primochill LRT 1/2"ID, 3/4"OD tubing in UV-red for $21.60
Water Cooling 9: 12x Bitspower Black Sparkle Compression Fitting for $83.40
Water Cooling 10: PT_Nuke -PHN Concentrated Biocide at $3.25
Water Cooling 11: 2x Silver kill coils for $11.98
Water Cooling 12: AS 5, 12g at $24.98
Water Cooling 13: Distilled water at $.83/gal from WalMart
Blue-Ray Burner: Lite-ON BD-R at $69.99

ASUS VH238H 23" LED Monitor at $159.99 (After Rebate)
Logitech K750 RF Wireless (Solar-powered) Keyboard at $49.99
Satechi SP400 RF Wireless Presenter at $37.99
Logitech Wireless Anywhere Mouse MX at $44.99

Other necessaries…..

Logitech Z506 5.1 surround sound system at $79.99
Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D SB1350 at $91.62
6x RCA 10ft extension cables for $10.50

3’ Tygon ¼”ID tubing for $6.00
2x Koolance INS-FM17N Coolant Flow Meter with frequency adapter for $79.96
2 x ¼” ID compression fittings for $17.90
2 x ¼” to ½”ID barbed reducer for $11.98
20 Hose Clamps for 3/8" OD Tubing (9579K63) for $7.83

Black and Decker TLD100 IR thermometer at $24.99
2x UV cathode tubes for $39.98
Molex 4 Pin On/Off Power Switch for $4.00

P3 Kill A Watt Electricity Load Meter at $25.99
Mastech Digital MultiMeter at $42.00

2x½” ID T-fitting at $3.98
Enzotech Drain plug at $6.99
¼” ID T-fitting at $2.25
¼” FPT to ¼” barb at $2.10
¼” FPT to ½” barb at $2.14
2x 0-5 PSI low-pressure gauges for $49.00
Teflon Tape at $1.05

Portal 1&2 bundle at $34.98
Universe Sandbox (full version) Software at $9.99

Instant Rebate Codes:
$40 off each HDD with code EMCJHJE29, ends 12/21
$30 off ASUS monitor with code EMCJHJA47, ends 12/25

Total Cost: $4,990.49 (As of 12/17/2011) - I hope the "graders" allow for price fluctuation b/c its crazy how often prices change out there

I think the main build choices above speak for themselves. The goal was the greatest bang for the buck and moderate utilitarian styling (NO annoying internal LED lighting) in a large case that will allow for lots of customization and freedom later on, because I will think of more to do later.
Some explanation may be needed for the other components though...

Wall of text incoming:

Many principles taught in high school science classes are blended into the PC; from electromagnetism and light, air and water pressure, materials science, conductivity, chemical reactions… the list is endless.

Below I have outlined some of the areas of science that I could use this specially built PC for in the classroom, more options means a more rich learning experience for my students. Exploring each area may or may not require some special equipment listed above.
After hours I will use it primarily for folding @ home and other cloud computing projects that tend to be extremely interesting to students. When I take it home it will also play my favorite PC games.

(its more boring from here on...)

Physics Curriculum:
•Newton's Laws, conservation of momentum, 1d kinematics, Gravitation, Kepler’s Laws, Astronomy… All through software simulations: Huge opportunity for this proposed PC to be able to fuel a completely multimedia driven curriculum across many different classes.
o Portal 1, Portal 2: Jump pads, “speedy thing goes in speedy thing comes out”, Ch6. The fall, potato batteries…
o Moonbase Alpha: exploring the challenges of colonization/everyday base operations on the moon.
o Universe Sandbox/Space Engine: Coupled with an optional 1080P projector (I have a 720p in my room atm). Exploration of the galaxy, manipulation of mass, size, density etc and seeing what happens in real time is amazingly useful to explain Keplers laws and Universal Gravitation. all day long....

•Conservation of energy – Variations on most efficient WC loop, IR thermometer
o Electricity turns into something, because you are paying for it, where does it go? Identifications of energy loss within the system
o Comparison between water cooling and air cooling, where does the heat go in either case? Why is one more effective than another?

•Thermodynamics – operating PC producing heat…
o Zeroeth, second law: a PC allows for simple and quick demonstration of these laws in action
o Thermal expansion of different materials – plays a huge role in the design of cooling parts for the PC. Though this gets pretty technical, it can me mentioned as being an important aspect of a well made part.
o Conduction, convection and radiation topics are all in operation constantly when a PC is working, this makes a PC an excellent centerpiece to any discussion on the topic. Laws related to conduction specifically are huge for the design of all heatsinks,
o Conductivity of thermal adhesives and pastes are important parts of this area of science

•Wave Mechanics – 5.1 sound system, RCA extensions, Sound card….
o Using the obvious movement of air from a strong sub-woofer to illustrate the movement of particles in the medium that is characteristic of compression-wave motion. Pair this with my fog machine and I am in business.
o Sound source direction experimentation, two ears are needed to pinpoint the direction a sound came from, this also works with depth perception in your eyes.
o Constructive and destructive interference produced in sound waves from a carefully constructed surround sound system (possibly within an enclosed space) using multiple frequency tones, how does the quality of the sound change depending upon where you are in the room.
o Simulation of Doppler Effect sound production using stereo output to 5.1 system + stereo sound clips.

•Circular Motion - 120mm fans, 80mm fans
o Calculating the speed of the edge vs. the speed of a fin near the hub of a case fan given the measured dimensions and rotational speed. This leads to understanding the most effective regions of airflow, designing fans, filters, etc.
o Comparing the effectiveness of a 120mm fan to an 80mm fan based on rotational speed and fan blade distance from the hub.

•Fluid dynamics in the WC loop – Flow meters within the loop (compare at the same height), adapters and couplers for changing hose diameter, pressure gauges, on/off 12Vswitches
o Conservation of momentum in liquids: Pressure variance with flow rate, Bernoulli’s Principle. ¼ “ Venturi section built-into ½” loop. With flow rate gauges and pressure gauge within the ¼” region to show variance. Increasing flow rate by turning up pumps allows the gathering of multiple data points.
o Pressure differential with depth, regardless of shape of liquid cavity. (0-5psi) Pressure gauges at top & bottom of loop. Building in a large excess length of tubing into the cooling loop that can be manually raised at the t-junction where the pressure gauge is located would allow the gathering of multiple point of data which reflect the increasing pressure with vertical distance due to gravity.
o Density of liquids does not change from one end of the loop to the other, which is why a water pump works so well.
o Add extra length to the water loop and 12v molex connection to res. pump so that reservoir can be removed from 5.25 bays and lowered relative to the rest of the loop and remain active. This can be done in order to show height equivalence of fluid level in the loop due to gravity and atmospheric pressure.

•Fluid dynamics of air flow within the case, aircooling device design based on physics principles – use simple air flow “pom-poms” to test
o Hot air rises due to difference in density. How a PC enclosure is built may or may not use this fact to their advantage, how does one design the airflow in the case to maximize this effect?

•Electromagnetic Spectrum Investigation – UV reactive coils, IR thermometer, Switch for 2x UV tubes, Wireless Keyboard and mouse, Solar powered keyboard
o UV reactive coils, switch to turn on and off UV lights inside case
o IR thermometer to measure temperature of components vs temperature of loop/radiator/room
o Wireless keyboard and mouse are great for demonstrations of E/M radiation, blocking the transmission of a wireless mouse signal using something unexpected gets great reactions
o Solar photo-voltaic powered devices are based on the photoelectric effect, this plays great into one of my favorite lectures on the wave/particle nature of light.

•Electricity investigations – Kill-A-Watt meter, Multimeter
o Power=Current*Voltage investigation, measurement at the wall in Amps, then confirmation using Watts measure at wall
o Electricity conversion to heat in a PC, the worst way to heat a room, Discuss: Efficiency in conversion, other widely used methods
o Power use without PC being on/active, Discuss: vampire load, energy waste
o Cost to consumers over time, cost to the grid in a large scale
o AC to DC conversion, measuring the DC output of different rails using a Multimeter, discussion on how it is done using different Electronic components
o Insulators vs. conductors: a short investigation into the construction of the parts of a PC, specifically the PSU, would show students how insulators help to direct the flow of electrons in the proper fashion needed to power a PC.
o Generator/motor relationship can be easily shown by disconnecting a case fan, and hooking up a multimeter to the leads as the fan is manually rotated in order to produce electrical current from mechanical input.
o Transformers can be illustrated by measuring the AC voltage coming into the PSU and the DC voltage coming out of the PSU, maybe even opening the PSU to show what one looks like.

•Metric System – memory and processor fabrication info, comparing unit size based on file sizes / types

Chemistry curriculum:
•UV water purification, EM spectrum – UV lights for demonstration, connection to other concepts
o UV lights in the box not strong enough to say, give you a tan or purify water– discussion on strength of E/M radiation… Usefulness vs. danger
o Shielding E/M radiation

•Chemical reactions - Kill coils, Biocide agents, multimeters
o Silver kill-coils, Biocide agents – why do they inhibit bacteria growth?
o Oxidation within the loop – annual cleaning
o Loop fluid gaining in conductivity over time measured using a multimeter
o What goes wrong with different fluids – additive breakdown involves chemical change over time w/ elevated temps…

•Materials Science – Different (safe) fluids in a coolant loop to test effectiveness, general discussion about parts in the box, materials used in construction of the parts.
o Conductivity of matter: why are solids > liquids > gases when it comes to transferring heat, energy?
o Why are some materials better at conducting electricity and heat than others?
o Why is surface area so important to heat dissipation?
o Why is one method of cooling more effective than another, holistic comparison project based on principles from the class

General Science Awesomeness and Storage Concerns
•Bill Nye the Science Guy – Need to store every episode locally because our school is only able to access them for a limited time and then they will be gone forever. Will need large storage space with redundancy
•Video projects submitted throughout the year take lots of space on my school-sponsored laptop, redundant backups in one place would be very useful, especially when I need to give an example of a project that a student did 3 years ago…
•Along with needing to store the projects long-term, I generally need to adapt to every possible storage card and wired connector imaginable to collect the work that students turn in, so I would need an integrated card-reader to facilitate this
•I tire of sitting in the same place all the time when I am using the PC in the classroom, so if I had a wireless keyboard/mouse then I could sit anywhere during multimedia lectures or any other presentation that I would give in class.
•I have a "boss" projector integrated into my classroom already so I would not need another one.

Computer Technology Curriculum: Fairly self-explanatory, but some interesting areas that would be much easier taught with this box would be:
•Water cooling vs air cooling
•Overclocking
•Raid 0 vs raid 1, benchmarking in real time
•SSD performance vs Hard drive performance, real world differences that benching does not show so well.
•Cost/performance analysis, needs vs wants
•Building your own, do’s and don’ts
•General maintenance tips and practice

The above curriculum connections are just the beginning, as I know that I would be able to make more connections over time. This is true especially in the area of software that will become available, and that I will be exposed to over time, hence the future-proof-ness of the build. Only so much time for one build concept, though it was fun and beneficial to think about in and of itself.

Now to start implementing these new ideas in the classroom using my real budget >/, wish me luck.

Jaquith's Ultimate Safety in Numbers
Processor: Intel Core i7-3960X $1,049.99
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme $449.99
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB)DDR3 1866 CMZ16GX3M4X1866C9R $159.99
Graphics Card: ASUS MATRIX GTX580 P/2DIS/1536MD5 GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB $529.99
Hard Drive: Corsair Force Series GT CSSD-F120GBGT-BK 2.5" 120GB SATA III $199.99
Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 800D $259.99
Power Supply: CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX1200 $287.39
Cooling: CORSAIR H100 (CWCH100) $119.99
DVD Burner: ASUS 24X DVD Burner - DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS $19.99

Grand Total not including Shipping $3,077.31 (EXCLUDING Mail-In Rebates); $1,922.69 in case prices go up.

If the rules change see the 'Real Build' below ;)

Jaquith's Ultimate Eye Candy Delight
Processor: Intel Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge-E $599.99
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme $449.99
RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Redline 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3 2133 CAS 9 993996 $199.99
Graphics Card: ASUS ENGTX580 DCII/2DIS/1536MD5 GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB $499.99
Graphics Card: ASUS ENGTX580 DCII/2DIS/1536MD5 GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB $499.99
Hard Drive: Corsair Force Series 3 CSSD-F120GB3A-BK 2.5" 120GB SATA III $169.99
Hard Drive: Corsair Force Series 3 CSSD-F120GB3A-BK 2.5" 120GB SATA III $169.99
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA III * $129.99
Case: Dual 12" Cold Cathode Kit - Ultra Bright UV $9.99
Power Supply: ENERMAX MAXREVO Series EMR1350EWT 1350W $249.99
Power Supply: Bitspower Super Tight Weave 1/16" Cable Sleeve Deluxe - Black (0.59/ft X 100') $59.00
Power Supply: Bitspower Super Tight Weave 1/16" Cable Sleeve Deluxe - UV Red (0.59/ft X 10') $5.90
Power Supply: 1/8" Black Heatshrink ($1/ft X 2) $2.00
Power Supply: 1/8" Red UV Reactive Heatshrink ($1/ft) $1.00
Power Supply: (optional) Bayer Aspirin Tablets ; IMO needed for braiding $3.69
Cooling: CPU-370 (CPU), 1.5mm Midplate w/ LGA 2011 Hardware [no nozzles] $79.95
Cooling: EK GeForce ASUS 580 DCII VGA Clear Liquid Cooling Block - (EK-FC580 DCII - EN) $114.95
Cooling: EK GeForce ASUS 580 DCII VGA Clear Liquid Cooling Block - (EK-FC580 DCII - EN) $114.95
Cooling: EK FC Bridge Triple Parallel - SLI Connection (EK-FC Bridge Triple Parallel) $24.99
Cooling: EK FC Link GeForce - SLI Connection (EK-FC Link GeForce) $13.50
Cooling: Radiator, 3x120mm 20-FPI Copper [no nozzles] $55.99
Cooling: Radiator, 3x120mm 20-FPI Copper [no nozzles] $55.99
Cooling: Radiator Mounting Bracket with Quick-Release $44.99
Cooling: Pump, PMP-450S [13mm, 1/2in ID] $76.99
Cooling: Pump Nozzle & Reservoir Base for PMP-450/S (60mm OD) $44.99
Cooling: Reservoir Body, 60x240mm (WxL), 471ml $19.99
Cooling: Reservoir Top with Fill Port (60mm OD) $9.99
Cooling: Lamptron Fan Controller FC6 (Fan + Temps) $52.99
Cooling: Yate Loon Clear 120mm x 25mm Red LED Fan ($7.99/ea X 6) (D12SM-12) $47.94
Cooling: Koolance Radiator Mounting Screw & Nut - 25mm (BLT-HX025) ($4.25/ea X 6) $25.50
Cooling: 3-Pin Power Distribution PCB 8xWay Block $4.49
Cooling: Nozzle Single compression, *Black* Straight [10mm, 3/8in] ($4.49/ea X 7) $31.43
Cooling: Nozzle Single, *Black* Swivel Angled [For ID: 10mm (3/8in)] ($7.49/ea X 3) $22.47
Cooling: Bitspower G1/4" Black Dual 45-Degree Compression [10mm, 3/8in] $15.95
Cooling: Tubing, Black PVC, 1ft/30.5cm [ID: 10mm (3/8in); OD: 13mm (1/2in)] ($1.29/ft X 20) $25.80
Cooling: Liquid Coolant Bottle, High-Performance, 700mL (UV Red) ($14.99/ea X 2) $29.98
Cooling: Arctic Cooling MX-4 $12.99
DVD Burner: ASUS Black 12X BD-R Burner BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS $99.99

Grand Total not including Shipping $4,980.22 (EXCLUDING Mail-In Rebates).

Mock-up for general idea:
Jaquith-Ultimate-Build.jpg

The ratio of red to black braiding is 1 to 10. Yes, 4x4GB is best - less chances of a BSOD and plenty for gaming. (*) SATA III drives work fine on SATA 3 or 2 ports. The single loop can run: Pump -> CPU -> Radiator1 -> GPU(s) -> Radiator2 -> Reservoir -> (pump), and I prefer parallel over serial IMO more even cooling. Apparently, some folks haven't use EK products, the EK-FC580 DCII come boxed with a 2-slot I/O bracket.

Good Luck to all, and have a great Holiday Season! :bounce:

updated prices.

g-unit1111

Titan
G-Unit's "Eyefinity Eyecandy" Build

Case: Corsair Graphite 600T - $159.99
PSU: Silverstone Strider ST1500 - $349.99
Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 - $469.99
CPU: 3.30GHz Intel Core i7-3960X Extreme Edition - $1,049.99
RAM: 2 x CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory - $369.99 each ($659.98 total)
Cooler: Corsair H100 - $119.99
SSD: 120GB Kingston Hyper X Blu - $224.99
HD: 1.5TB Western Digital Caviar Black 1.5TB Hard Drive - $199.99
Optical: LG Super Multi - $69.99
Video Card: 2 x ASUS Radeon HD 6970 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP - $369.99 each ($739.98 total)
Monitor: 5 x Acer S220HQLAbd Black 21.5" 5ms LED Backlight Widescreen LCD Monitor - $129.99 each ($649.95 total)
Keyboard / Mouse: Logitech MK320 - $40.99

Total: $4980.81

monomilkman

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
Ryan's Ultimate Gaming Dream Machine
Processor: Intel Core i7-3960 Extreme Edition $1,049.99

Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme Motherboard $469.99

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 $649.99
(includes $50 instant rebate)

Graphics Card: TWO ASUS GeForce GTX590 Cards in SLI Mode $749.99 each, $1499.98 total

SSD Drive: Corsair Performance Pro Series 128GB SATA III SSD $199.99
(includes $20 instant rebate)

(includes $40 instant rebate, does not include additional mail-in rebate)

Power Supply: Corsair Professional Series 1200W Power Supply $287.39
(includes $12.60 instant rebate)

Cooling: Corsair H100 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler $119.99
(additional mail-in rebate not included in price)

Blu-ray Burner: ASUS Blu-Ray Burner $99.99
(additional mail-in rebate not included in price)

Sound Car: ASUS 7.1 Channel Xonar Essence Sound Card $209.99
(includes $20 instant rebate)

Monitor: ASUS VE Series LED Backlight 20" LCD Monitor $124.99
(includes $25 instant rebate)

Memory Card Reader: Rosewill 74-in-1 Internal Card Reader $24.99
(includes $5 instant rebate)

Total: $4,997.27

I really like ASUS, Corsair, and Intel so I tried to stick to those companies as much as possible with my build.

scubastevo2005

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
Ropski's Ultimate Build

Processor: Intel Core i7-3960X Extreme Edition Sandy Bridge-E 3.3GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 2011 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor - $1049.99

Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme Motherboard - Combo priced with Memory Listed Below

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory - Combo Priced with Motherboard above for $749.98

Graphics Card: ASUS EAH6970 DCII/2DI4S/2GD5 Radeon HD 6970 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card (three of these cards at $379.99 each) - $1139.97

Hard Drives: Kingston HyperX SH100S3B/240G 2.5" 240GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)(two of these Drives at $469.99 each) - $939.98

Hard Drives: Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive (two of these Drives at $169.99 each) - $339.98

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF X Blue Edition RC-942-KKN3 Black Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case with Black Interior and Four Blue LED Fans-1x 140mm rear fan, 1x 200mm top fan, 1x 200mm side fan, and 1x 230mm front fan - $199.99

Power Supply: CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX1200 (CMPSU-1200AX) 1200W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Certified 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - $287.99

CPU Cooling: ZALMAN CNPS12X 120mm Long Life Bearing High Performance Triple Fan CPU Cooler - 99.99

Cooling: COOLER MASTER Megaflow 200 R4-LUS-07AB-GP 200mm Blue LED Case Fan (extra one to fill the top slot in the case)- $16.99

Memory Cooling: G.SKILL FTB-3500C5-D Fans - $14.99

Hard-drive Cooling: MASSCOOL SYTRIN Kuformula SHF1 Ultra HDD Cooler – BK (two of these units for each Seagate Harddrive at $25.99 each) - $51.98

DVD Burner: ASUS Black 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 12X DVD-RAM 8X BD-ROM 8MB Cache SATA Blu-ray Burner BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS - $99.99

Total Price: $4991.22

There is a total of $30 dollar in mail-in-rebates off that price yet just incase anyone was interested in buying thing build.

rholdy123

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011
Ryan's "Last Ten Paycheck Rig" Build
Processor: Intel Core i7-3960X Extreme Edition $1049.99
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme X79 $469.99
Case Corsair Obsidian 800D $259.99
Graphics ASUS Mars 2 GTX580x2 $1499.99
Ram G.Skill Ripjaw Z 64gb (8x8) $599.99
Cooler Corsair H100 $119.99
PSU ENERMAX MAXREVO Series 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Power Supply $249.99
SSD Kingston HyperX 240gb $469.99
HDD Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB $149.99
Blu-Ray Drive Lite-On Blu-Ray Burner with Blu-Ray 3d Support $99.99
Total - $4969.90

ChaoticG8R

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
ChaoticG8R "Ultimax" System:
This system combines the ULTIMATE solution to every facet of a system in extreme flare.

Processor: Intel Core i7 3960X = $999.99
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme Motherboard = $416.79
Memory: 8GB Corsair Dominator GT with DHX Pro Connector CMGTX8 = $499.99
Graphics Card: ASUS ENGTX590/3DIS/3GD5 GeForce GTX 590 = $691.23
SSD: (4x) 60GB Corsair Force Series GT CSSD-F60GBGT-BK = $439.96 (4x$109.99)
SSD Controller: HighPoint RocketRAID 640 6Gb/s 4-Port RAID Controller = $87.63
Power Supply: SeaSonic Platinum-1000 1000W 80+ PLATINUM Power Supply = $259.99
Replacement for Optical Drive: ADATA S102 Pro 8GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive = $15.99
Case: LD PC-V10 (115V USA) Case with Integrated Phase Change = $1564.00 (*Rounding up from 1200.00 €)
Case Fans: (5x) Yate Loon D12SH-12 = $18.00 (5x$3.60)
Thermal Compound: Tuniq TX-3 = $5.99

Grand total of the "MaxOC" comes to $4999.56
*Prices allow for fluctuations in costs as well as the exchange of Euro to USD.

The Ultimate Processor: Intel's Core i7 3960X!
The Ultimate RAM: Corsair's Dominator GT with DHX Pro Connector Quad Kit with CAS 10 @ 1.5V (Only top end 2400Mhz Kit rated @ 1.5V)!
The Ultimate SSD Raid: 4 x 60GB Corsair Force GT - 555MB/read + 495 MB/write in RAID-0 w/ HighPoint RocketRAID controller!
The Ultimate Graphics Card: Current King of the Mountain - ASUS GTX 590!
The Ultimate Power Supply: An 80 Plus PLATINUM Certified PSU with basically perfect reviews across the board, the SS-1000XP!
The Ultimate Install Media: A 100MB/read USB 3.0 FLASH DRIVE, for installs that make an optical drive seem as useful as a floppy drive!
and most importantly The Ultimate Case: Little Devil's US Version of his integrated PHASE CHANGE Case. This case is not only a beauty but takes the entire build to a new level of ULTIMATE!!!

Inzone's Performance King;

Case -COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel/ Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case $179.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119225

CPU -Intel Core i7-3960X Extreme Edition Sandy Bridge-E 3.3GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 2011 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor BX80619i73960X $1049.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116491

Cpu Heatsink/Fan -CORSAIR H70 Core High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler $99.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181019

Fan for Corsair H70-Delta AFB1212GHE-CF00 120mm Case Fan $29.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835213001

HDD -Western Digital Caviar Black WD2002FAEX 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive $249.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136792

Ram -CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory Model CMZ32GX3M4X1600C10 $329.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233232

MB -ASUS Rampage IV Extreme/BATTLEFIELD 3 LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Intel Motherboard with USB BIOS $469.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131803

PSU -Antec High Current Pro HCP-1200 1200W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply $269.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371043

C- Drive-OCZ RevoDrive 3 X2 series RVD3X2-FHPX4-240G PCI-E 240GB PCI-Express 2.0 x4 MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) $699.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227744

Graphics card -ASUS MARS II/2DIS/3GD5 GeForce GTX 580 x2 (Fermi) 3072MB 384-bit x2 GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
$1499.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121470

BD - LG Black 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 12X DVD-RAM 10X BD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA 12X Super Multi Blue with 3D Playback & M-DISC Support WH12LS39 LightScribe Support - OEM $81.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136241

DVD -PLEXTOR Internal DVD Super Multi 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model PX-L890SA LightScribe Support $37.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827249071

Total --$49999.98 :sol:

hourglasss

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2010
Well I really wish I could actually afford this build... anyways.

Water Cooled Quad Sli Overclocking Monster
Processor: Core i-7 3930k @$599.99
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme Motherboard @$469.99
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1600 @$79.99
Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce GTX 580 x4 @$1960
SSD: Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe 120GB @$209.99
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1.5TB 7200RPM @$129.99
Case: NZXT Phantom ATX Full Tower Case @$124.99
External Radiator Stand: Phobya Radiator Mounting Stand @$89.95
Power Supply: SeaSonic X-1250 1250W 80-PLUS GOLD Modular Power Supply @$269.99
Radiator: The Phobya XTREME Nova 1080 Radiator @$124.99
Fans: Scythe 120mm Case Fan x9 @116.91
Pump: Swiftech MCP35X 12v PWM Controlled Water Pump @$99.95
Reservoir: Swiftech Optional Tank Reservoir Attachment @$29.99
Processor Waterblock: EK Supreme HF Universal CPU Liquid Cooling Block @$71.95
Graphics Waterblock: Koolance NVIDIA GTX 580 Liquid Cooling Block x4 @$519.96
DVD Burner: ASUS 24X DVD Burner @$18.99

Total:4917.54

Use remainder to pay for water-cooling fittings

Also Asus needs more 2 slot cards, the only 2 slot gtx580s I could find were reference boards... that being said, who really needs space for 4 gtx580s.... watercooling is a must with 4 580s and the exterior radiator is to make is all one massive single loop. I've never really seen the purpose of blue-rays if you have a fast internet connection.

Edit: Forgot fans

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Truly ultimate desktop build! Total Price : $107,649.92

Processor: Intel Core i7-3960X : $1,049.99
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme Motherboard : $469.99
RAM: 2X CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 : $1299.98
Graphics Card: 2X ASUS MARS GTX 580 X2 : $2,999.98
Solid State Boot Drive: 2x Corsair Force Series GT 240gb : $819.98 Raid 1
Solid State Storage Drive: Fusion IO Octal 5TB : $99,995.00
Case: LIAN LI PC-V2120B Full Tower : $429.99
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower 1475W 80 PLUS GOLD : $399.99
CPU Cooling: Noctua NH-D14 : $84.99
BD Burner: ASUS Black 12X BD-R : $99.99

Now for the real 5k build that's only slightly less mad.

Processor: Intel Core i7-3960X : $1,049.99
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme : $469.99
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 : $649.99
Graphics Card: 3X ASUS Radeon HD 6970 2GB : $1139.97
Solid State Drive: Corsair Force Series GT 240gb : $409.99
Hard Drive : 2x Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB : $325.98
Case: LIAN LI PC-V2120B Full Tower : $429.99
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 1000W 80+ Platinum : $249.99
CPU Cooling: Noctua NH-D14 : $84.99
BD Burner: ASUS Black 12X BD-R : $99.99

Total : $4910.87

Status