Question Asus x99-deluxe - CPU Over Voltage Error

kumbro

Honorable
Jan 23, 2015
Hello,

I have a Asus X99-Deluxe motherboard, and i7-5960X CPU. I am unable to recover the BIOS setting. Even after hitting the F1 key to run setup, the screen is blank and I dont see the bios settings. Here is the error message.

USB Devices total: O Drive, 1 Keyboard, 0 Mouse, 4 Hubs

Detected ATA/ATAPI Devices... P4: SanDisk SDSSDXPS 480G

Please enter setup to recover BIOS setting. Power supply surges detected during the previous power on. ASUS Anti-Surge was triggered to protect system from unstable power supply unit! Memory OK! succeeds in system booting! Enter BIOS setup menu and save the memory se or visit ASUS website (www.asus.com) for latest BIOS version.

CPU Over Voltage Error!
When RAID configuration was built, ensure to set SATA Configuration to RAID mode.
Press F1 to Run SETUP

Troubleshooting steps tried:
  1. Press CMOS+CLR button
  2. Remove CMOS battery and put it back in after 5 min (Didnt have replacement handy)
  3. Remove all USB devices except keyboard.
  4. Downloaded latest bios version from the website and inserted the usb device in "CMOS flash" usb port.

Let me know if anyone else had similar issues or can recommend further debugging steps.

Test the CMOS battery. Your system is PLENTY old enough for the battery to be weak or dead. If it is less than 3v, replace it. If you are not sure, replace it, BUT, it is a good idea to get or borrow a volt meter of some kind EVEN for brand new batteries because I've purchased at least five CR 2032 battery blister packs this year that had less than 3v right out of the package and had to be returned. That's locally. Several others, in fact, ALL of the ones I got through Amazon were below discard voltage and had to be returned. So testing them is a good idea.

Reactions: kumbro
If changing CMOS battery proves fruitless, I would check out the PSU. Overvolting can be due to failing capacitors and an Overvoltage will destroy other system hardware.

Have it tested under load by a qualified electronics techo or swap the unit out with a known working unit of the same or higher Wattage.

Reactions: kumbro

kumbro

Honorable
Jan 23, 2015
  1. Pressing the CLR_CMOS button while the machine is powered on, resets the computer but allows me to get past the error screen and enter the bios setup.
  2. After which I can also get windows to load and work on the computer.
  3. I can restart windows after that plenty of times.. no issues.
  4. However, if I shut down the computer and then startI see the problem again.

The Q code I see is 00 which I believe indicates bad CPU or MOBO?

Will Change the Battery and post the results here. Thanks for everyones help.

kumbro

Honorable
Jan 23, 2015
I changed the battery. Still no luck. The Q code is 00. Earlier I could press the CMOS_CLR button and get the desktop to start. That seems to have stopped working now. After pressing the CMOS_CLR button the desktop attempts to start, however stops momentarily and then boots up with that error screen:

CPU Over Voltage Error!
When RAID configuration was built, ensure to set SATA Configuration to RAID mode.
Press F1 to Run SETUP

I am waiting to get a replacement PSU and I will try to to bootup the desktop. Do let me know if I should be trying any other troubleshooting steps.

When you press F1, does it go into the BIOS?

Or, on the POST screen you are seeing the CPU over voltage error on, is the current BIOS version listed on the screen? I want to know what the ACTUAL current BIOS version is. You say you downloaded the latest BIOS and stuck it in the BIOS flashback USB port, but you don't indicate that you pressed the button, or that the power was off, or that it beeped a successful flash or that you verified that the flash was successful by checking the BIOS version in the BIOS.

kumbro

Honorable
Jan 23, 2015
  1. When I press F1, the screen goes dark and does not enter bios.
  2. The current BIOS was upgraded to 4101 and I can see it on the error screen. I did download the new BIOS and stuck it in the BIOS flashback USB port and pressed the button.
I have now changed the PSU. I replaced the Corsair HX1000i with a Corsair RM 850X. I dont see anything on the screen, not even the Voltage error issue. And the ASUS Q code is stuck at 00. Earlier with the presumably faulty PSU, I was able to press CLR_CMOS and get the desktop to boot, no dice after changing the PSU.

kumbro

Honorable
Jan 23, 2015
Update: I had not plugged the other CPU cable.. <eyeroll>.. Now on reboot, I am still getting the same error message about Asus Anti-surge:

USB Devices total: O Drive, 1 Keyboard, 0 Mouse, 4 Hubs

Detected ATA/ATAPI Devices... P4: SanDisk SDSSDXPS 480G

Please enter setup to recover BIOS setting. Power supply surges detected during the previous power on. ASUS Anti-Surge was triggered to protect system from unstable power supply unit! Memory OK! succeeds in system booting!

CPU Over Voltage Error!
Press F1 to Run SETUP

On pressing F1 - I dont get to the SETUP .. the screen blanks out.

Ok, so do me a favor. Please list your FULL hardware specifications.

CPU, motherboard, memory (Exact kit model, assuming it is one kit. All kit models, if there are multiple unmatched sticks or kits), CPU cooler, power supply (We know this already, but list it anyhow just so it's easily referenced, case, etc.

Was this system running fine previously, and then just started acting up out of the blue, or is this system new to you, just built from old parts, etc.? Just want to get a little better idea of things.

Last edited:

kumbro

Honorable
Jan 23, 2015
Motherboard - ASUS ATX DDR4 3000 LGA 2011-3 Motherboards X99-DELUXE/U3.1uxe
CPU - i7-5960X
PSU- Corsair HX1000i High Performance Power Supply
Memory - Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 2666MHz C16 memory kit
Cooler - Corsair Hydro Series Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler H100i

Are you SURE you're seeing BIOS version 4101, because the latest BIOS version for the X99 Deluxe U3.1 is version 3701.

The X99 Deluxe, non-U3.1 model has a version 4101, but not your model.

That might be all or part of your problem.

Try downloading the correct BIOS version, 3701, from here: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA2011/X99-DELUXE/X99-DELUXE-ASUS-4101.zip

Unzip it, copy the unzipped contents to a flash drive, and flash the BIOS again using the BIOS flashback feature. You will likely need to rename the update file before you can flash.

Full instructions are located here: https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1038568/

kumbro

Honorable
Jan 23, 2015
Thanks, I was able to change the BIOS to 3701. However the BIOS flashback route didnt work. I was able to get the CLR_CMOS and get to the EZ utility and change BIOS to 3701.

After the BIOS upgrade I am able to get to boot into windows. Q code is AA.

Is there anything I can check now ? I fear that a reboot will land me again in the situation of recurring reboots and multiple CLR_CMOS to get into boot. Anyway to triage what could be at fault - CPU, MOBO, PSU?

AA means the system is happy and has transitioned to Windows control from BIOS control. If you put the system to sleep and restart it, that will change to a 30 to show it has resumed from a sleep state and will remain that way until the system is restarted or shut down and powered back on, when it will again change to AA or AO, both of which my understanding is stand for ALL Ok.

I think I'd try the restart, even if it means the system hangs up again. Better to know than not know because it IS going to restart again at some point anyhow whether you like it or not, so it might as well be at a time of your choosing rather than unexpectedly after Windows updates or some problem with the motherboard causes it to freeze or restart. And it will, eventually, if there is a problem.

kumbro

Honorable
Jan 23, 2015
I shutdown the desktop and started again. Still with the new PSU. As soon as I press the power button with the intent of turning on the desktop, it toggles between on/off three times and then turns on with the motherboard q code at 00. The desktop just stays there with no boot up sequence initiated. I dont see anything on the monitor.

In the past, and I am certain, right now, the only way I can move forward is pressing the CLR_CMOS button a few times, after which I can see the Q codes changing as the desktop goes through a bootsequence. At this point, I will get to bios and then will have to save and exit to boot into windows.

Any idea what could be causing this issue. If I am eventually able to get the desktop to boot.

Sounds like a memory issue to me. Trying pulling out ALL of the memory except for one stick. Leave one stick installed in the DIMM_D1 slot. Clear the CMOS by flipping the switch off on the back of the PSU, removing the CMOS battery, press the power button for 30 seconds, put the CMOS battery back in, flip the switch back on on the back of the PSU and power on. If you get the same result, do it again, but with a different stick of memory installed.

Make sure you have the correct DIMM slots populated as well when trying to use all four sticks.

3T55EF7.png

kumbro

Honorable
Jan 23, 2015
Tried the DRAM test. No luck .. Everytime I try to power the desktop, it keep toggling through on/off (3 to 4 times) and then the Q code is stuck at 00.

I have now tried removing the GPU and CPU and the motherboard still doesnt power seamlessly... it goes through the toggle on/off .... is the motherboard conked off?