[SOLVED] ASUS X99-DELUXE is probably dead, is my CPU dead too? Deciding between replacing or upgrading.

Jan 4, 2020
Hello everybody,

This is my first time posting here, sorry if I make any mistakes, I've never had issues when building computers, until now.

I built this computer about 3 years ago and live in a place where most of the time, the energy supplied is dirty (according to the readings on my NEW voltage regulator) and I did not have a voltage regulator, I've never had devices die because of the power so I never felt the need to buy one.

The problem is that my computer stopped powering on, the ASUS X99-DELUXE motherboard turned on the LEDs related to the CPU and GPU (as hinting they were dead) and the QCODE (the error code on the motherboard) was 00 (which is not used) meaning the motherboard didn't even get to POST.
After this incident, the computer was left unplugged for a couple of months and when I got to troubleshoot the thing, the error had changed, the new error, that persists up to date, is that the system powers on very briefly (less than one second) and then shuts down immediately without even getting to start the fans on the PSU, after one or two seconds, it does the same thing and it doesn't seem to stop, I've only left it to try two or three times, not sure if it could damage my components.
This is what I've already tried:
  • Basic plugging in and pressing the "ON" button -> the system powers briefly and shuts down (let's call this, result #1)
  • Removed everything from the case, but all the components are still plugged to the motherboard, placed the motherboard on top of its original cardboard box, pressed the "ON" button that is located on the motherboard -> result #1
  • Removed some non-essential components (HDDs, SSDs) from the motherboard and PSU and started it again with the button on the motherboard -> result #1
  • Removed more non-essential components (USB3.0 expansion card, GPU), tried to start it again -> result #1
  • Removed RAM stick, tried to start it again -> result #1
  • Removed CPU, tried to start it again -> result #1
  • Performed the paperclip test (with a cable, carefully) -> PSU fan starts spinning successfully
  • Measured voltages on every pin of the PSU while running the paperclip test -> Voltages are correct and within range according to standard
  • Bought Thermaltake's Dr. Power II (only PSU tester on stock on my local computer parts store), tested every single cable (the same ones I used for all these tests) in every single port (my PSU is modular, model below, although it's probably not important) -> The tests were all successful with PSU fan activating, all voltages in range and under load and more things that I probably don't understand but the screen never turned red or the device beep
  • Tried breadboarding (putting the motherboard on a carboard box and adding components, only CPU and RAM) and powering up with the PSU connected to the new voltage regulator -> result #1
Relevant parts:
  • ASUS ATX X99-DELUXE/U3.1 motherboard
  • Intel Core i7-5820K CPU
  • RAM Kingston HyperX FURY Black DDR4, 2400MHz, 16GB, CL15
  • Cooler Master V1000 80 PLUS Gold, ATX, 135mm, 1000W PSU
  • Thermaltake's Dr. Power II
Testing on another motherboard, using another PSU, etc, won't work for me because I don't have more parts and I would need to buy them, I'd much rather buy upgrades than replacements (since the available replacements are not great and expensive). I live in Mexico so shipping from the US usually makes it more expensive than buying locally.

I think I'm not very lost on the subject and that the motherboard is dead and that the other parts (CPU, RAM, GPU) may or may not be dead, however, doing some back-of-the-envelope calculations, it costs roughly the same to buy a replacement motherboard (LGA2011-V3) than buying an upgraded motherboard and CPU (more recent) while I can probably still use my DDR4 RAM on the old and new systems.

I'm sorry for such a long post, could you please share your expertise with me in terms of other tests I could perform, ways in which I could bring back to life my motherboard if it's not actually dead and whether replacing or upgrading the system would be best, taking into account my system has already lived for three years of gaming (and slight overclocking through the ASUS software in the motherboard and on the operating system), which might as well be the usual lifespan of these components?

Thank you very much for your time.

Solution
No, the "usual" lifespan of those components is much more than 3 years. Whether they are still capable enough after three years is a very subjective question, but as far as actually still BEING ok, three years is less than expected.

CPUs rarely fail unless there is a very good reason for it. A direct short, bent pins, dropped from a reasonable height, seven to ten years old or five + years old with a high overclock, SOMETHING to actually cause physical damage or enough time for electromigration to occur. Now, that being said, CPU failures CAN happen prematurely, but they are very uncommon.

I'd be really surprised if this was more than a motherboard or power supply problem. Those PSU testers are almost worthless. The only thing they...
No, the "usual" lifespan of those components is much more than 3 years. Whether they are still capable enough after three years is a very subjective question, but as far as actually still BEING ok, three years is less than expected.

CPUs rarely fail unless there is a very good reason for it. A direct short, bent pins, dropped from a reasonable height, seven to ten years old or five + years old with a high overclock, SOMETHING to actually cause physical damage or enough time for electromigration to occur. Now, that being said, CPU failures CAN happen prematurely, but they are very uncommon.

I'd be really surprised if this was more than a motherboard or power supply problem. Those PSU testers are almost worthless. The only thing they are good for is determining that the PSU is not totally dead, or that it is. They won't tell you anything about what the PSU is doing or not doing while under load conditions, which is generally a very different story from what it's doing with no applied load.

All of the reviews of the Cooler master V1000 units are from back in 2013, which means that unit is probably AT LEAST five years old, and likely more like six. Even though that was a very good unit when it was new, having been built by Seasonic for Cooler master, five years of regular use, much less in a gaming system, is enough to consider most power supplies "done had it", especially ones from back then when five years was about the longest warranty you could expect to see on any power supply.

Personally, I'd suggest that the X99 chipset which was released in 2014 and is now nearly six years old is probably a waste to sink further money into especially given than even with a decent core count on the 5820k, a THIS Gen Ryzen 3600x has almost double the threaded performance and about a 44% increase in single core performance. So any money you might sink into a replacement motherboard, which is probably not going to be cheap unless you go with a used component because availability of X99 boards and CPUs is becoming rather hard to come by, would be a lot better spent on something newer that has some legs compared to that now outdated hardware.

Solution