Question ASUS X99 Deluxe - which NVME M.2 drive?

Jun 20, 2019
Hi Everyone,

I have a first gen ASUS X99 Deluxe with an Intel Core i7 5820K.

Would there be any significant performance boost if I replace my current boot drive - a Samsung 850 Pro SSD - with an NVME M.2 Drive? If so which would work on my mobo?

Or would I be better off waiting until I replace the mobo with a newer chipset?

Thanks for any info.

B R

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
There will be an improvement with almost any NVMe drive, sure. But whether it's going to be 'noticeable' will depend entirely on the drive in question, and your specific workload(s).

With X99, that is a full PCIe 3.0 x4 connection, so you wouldn't be hindering the drive in any way.

X99 should still be plenty viable and, unless there's a specific goal you're looking to accomplish that can only be achieved by a full-blown upgrade, I see no reason to currently.

Reactions: Board Room
Jun 20, 2019
Thanks Barty.

Was hoping to free up a SATA port (for another large drive) and thought I could gain an extra boost in performance while I'm at it. Could be time to do a clean reinstall of W10 rather than try and deal with the potential headaches of cloning from my SSD to M.2.

Cheers.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I mean, you'd see a benefit.... it's whether it's "worth it" that's the real question, as I mentioned.

However, even a budget NVMe drive could be a good route to go - especially if you want to free up a SATA port (for whatever reason).

Something like a 660p from Intel, while far from the fastest (theoretical) drive out there, should still be "faster" in most applications shy of huge file transfers. A 1TB 660p is <$100.

PCPartPicker Part List

Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($94.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $94.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-12 18:28 EDT-0400

USAFRet

Titan
Would there be any significant performance boost if I replace my current boot drive - a Samsung 850 Pro SSD - with an NVME M.2 Drive? If so which would work on my mobo?
I have a multitude of SATA III drives (listed below), mostly Samsung of various vintages. And an Intel 660p NVMe drive, in a PCIe adapter.

OS drive is a 500GB 850 EVO, the Intel and all the others are just secondary drives.

That Intel runs at its full native speed.

In my normal workflow, primarily photo manipulation in Adobe Lightroom...I literally cannot tell the difference when writing out to the Intel 660p vs a 1TB 860 EVO.
Even though the 660p 'benchmarks' at 3 times faster than the 860 EVO.

Doing the same operations, they take exactly the same amount of time. RAM and CPU matters far more.

Reactions: Barty1884
Jun 20, 2019
Thanks very much for replying with that.

You've given me plenty of food for thought.

Maybe I'll reconsider and wait until I can afford to make the jump to a whole system upgrade.

Cheers.

Have the same motherboard and CPU combo myself still in service, X99 Deluxe and 5820k. Have an older Samsung 950 Pro installed with the included adapter, and works fine. In another coincidence, I was also using an 850 Pro as boot drive before switching to the NVMe drive. This all said, boot times and game load times will be mostly unchanged, or very small boost if noticable. For most NVMe X4 Gen 3 drives, it's very specific usage scenarios to utilize the extra speed. Day to day general use and browsing won't show the performance difference.