asus x99 hyperx4x4 3000 not all ram recognized

Status
Not open for further replies.

gustafvschmidt

Reputable
Dec 15, 2014
First of all, I would like to thank the community for all the help over the last year. I have been lurking and using the threads to solve problems. In that time I have updated my computer compulsively. As of late I installed a new motherboard, cpu, and ram. Asus deluxe x99, i7 5930k and Kingston hyperx ddr4 3000. My bios and os (windows 8.1whatever) do not recognize the ram a particular slot, c1. I have rearranged the ram, cleared cmos, and tried a few other troubleshooting. Any particular suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

Do all the modules work singly in the other slots, or in the slot designated for single module operation? If all the modules work when installed singly, or in all the other slots except that one slot, I'd RMA the board. If it's a particular module, RMA the module.

gustafvschmidt

Reputable
Dec 15, 2014
Thanks for your answer darkbreeze. I have switched them around. I simply exchanged the module from the c1 slot with another module and the bios still does not identify the different module in the c1 slot. My worry is that perhaps it is the cpu. I don't have an extra x99 board or 9 series cpu to test the two parts with different ones. So I guess my follow up question is, is the problem most likely or surely the motherboard if it's not the ram? i.e. it's certainly not the cpu?

update, I found the dram serial identification in the asus bios and it identifies all the ram, including the c1 slot. But the main page of the bios does not, neither does windows. cpu-z recognizes it as well.

gustafvschmidt

Reputable
Dec 15, 2014
thanks again for your help. updating the bios was the first thing I tried. unless asus update has led me astray I've got the latest version. I have not tried raising the system agent voltage. I did enable the xmp, that was the second (actually maybe that was the first) thing I did. Unfortunately, now that I've tried so many different things in an unsystematic manner I am not sure why the xmp profile is not there in the bios anymore. It was there and now it's gone. Not sure what I did. It disappeared once yesterday amidst my shotgun tactic troubleshooting and then came back and now its gone again. Not sure how to raise the vccsa but I'll look into it tonight. once again thanks.

I'd remove all the RAM except a single stick, reset the BIOS to defaults, configure the XMP profile for that module, save your settings, power off, install the other modules, boot back into the BIOS and see if the profile stuck for all modules or if there's still an issue. Tradesman1 can correct me if I'm wrong about this, but I think that's what I'd do.

I'd also manually check for and install the BIOS firmware if one is available. The automatic BIOS updaters don't always, in fact quite often do not, work accurately. More than twenty times on threads here where people were sure they had the most recent BIOS firmware because of their automatic utilities, but then checked, they found it was not the most recent version. I'd just verify manuall. What is your current BIOS version? The most recent one is version 1103, released on 11/21/2014.

It seems very unusual for the XMP profile to not "stick" unless there is some kind of compatibility issue or faulty hardware, that is causing it to maybe revert to default settings.

gustafvschmidt

Reputable
Dec 15, 2014
HX430C15PB2K4/16 is the memory part number. Great step by step darkbreeze. I went down to one, flashed the bios, went in and set the xmp. Unfortunately when I put all sticks back in it wouldn't boot. error code 6f which means it was stuck on the "system agent dxe initialization (system agent module specific)" I then went back down some sticks (had to flash bios again) and set the xmp profile to #2, the lower speed, 2667 I think, and went back up to four. That didn't work either. So now I'm back at three sticks, just kept the c1 slot empty, and running the tuner to see what kind of clock I can get on the cpu. I really don't know anything about the system agent stuff, but I guess I should try that. But, for now, some chicken wings and assassin's creed.

rickdc17

Reputable
Jun 4, 2015
I've had the same problem (2 ram slots not being recognized) and I searched everywhere for an answer. I did finally get it resolved so I thought I would share what I found. After trying everything recommended here, I finally decided to check the CPU, or more specifically the pins under the CPU (since the CPU is the memory controller). Got out the trusty magnifying glass and guess what, 2 pins were leaning over just slightly. I straightened them out, replaced the CPU and booted up with all the ram installed and - all slots now work!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS