ASUS Xonar Essence STX No Sound - Tried Everything

Strymon

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012
This seems to be a rather common problem. Unfortunately, I've had little luck attempting to solve it.

I relatively recently assembled a new computer. I did a lot of research to make sure I was getting the absolute best I could for my money, and as a professional musician a strong sound card was of utmost importance. So, I got the ASUS Xonor Essence STX, and I had a Computer Science major friend helped me assemble it.

Unfortunately, I seem to have encountered this issue. Even though my Windows Sound Applet as well as the Xonar GUI seem recognize an outgoing signal, I don't seem to be able to get sound to come out of my speakers. I'm currently using analog and I've tried using a Y-Cable to attach directly to the Front speaker as well as using two Y-Cables to attack to the Front and Central speakers.

I have ensured that the sound output from both my On-Board Sound, as well as from my Video Card are disabled, and I uninstalled and reinstalled the Xonar drivers while both other sound outputs were disabled. The only recognized sound devices currently are both associated with the Xonar.

I have no idea what else to try, hoping someone else has some ideas. Thanks!

Strymon

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012

Yes sir,
Device_Manager.jpg

Note, the "AMD High Definition Audio Device" is the sound provided by my Radeon 7800. I've disabled its sound device and "Sound" doesn't recognize any playback devices besides ASUS. Also, all "Audio Imputs and Outputs" seem to be recognized and functioning properly.

I've tested my speakers and I know that they, and the connectors, are functioning and in good condition. I have been able to connect my phone (Galaxy S2) to it and play music with no issues.

Strymon

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012

Yup. I've experimented with all the settings and every possible permutation. No luck.
XONAR.jpg

Xonar_STX.jpg

Bassim Ansari

Honorable
Dec 18, 2013

Turn off your PC.

Take out the Molex Cable 4 pin connecting your soundcard.

Put a different molex cable and to the sound card and make sure it fits properly for the power.

Then try again.

Strymon

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012

Update:
I haven't experimented with opening up my computer and using an alternative cable. I have, however, experimented with using the Headphone Out connection. I was able to get sound from both some old Pioneer SE-205s, and a Logitech 5.1 system (in spite of the warning in the manual). I suspect something may be wrong with my analog ports.

What's strange now is, while I am getting sound, it's very soft. With everything on my computer maxed, including the speaker's independent volume settings, I'm barely able to get anything with it. I've experimented with adjusting the gain, and I can get it reasonably loud using Extra High Gain, but that also causes clipping and distortion. I currently am using High Gain, which is serviceable, but not as loud as I'd like, and not as loud as my phone output.

These aren't high impedance pieces of equipment. The pioneers are 4-16 ohms. I'm not sure how many ohms the Logitech is, but they're logitech, I can't imagine they're high impedance. I'm not sure why my card would send a weak signal, or why it would appear to be clipping and distorting when I can't even hear it through a wall. Could that be the molex cable?

citizenlee

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
I had similar issues when I first got my Xonar ST.

Tried all the solutions you did but I believe my issue was down to a conflict with my GPU drivers (an Asus 7950 funnily enough).

In the end I had to do a fresh windows install and instead of the Asus Xonar driver I used the UNi Xonar Drivers (Google it). Some how it worked and has done ever since.

PastaActual

Reputable
Oct 7, 2014
Did this ever get resolved? Cause I'm having a similar issue. I can't get headphone audio out of my STX, thought it worked fine for 4 years until I got new video cards. I tried the UNi drivers and a fresh install of windows. I'm happy that I'm not alone but sad that most of the threads are people who just bought their STX's and never changed output to headphones. Hard finding others who have the same problem I do.

TRENDING THREADS