[SOLVED] ASUS Xonar Essence STX sound card: dolby headphone on or off?

ProtoflareX

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
I'm aware that selecting 8 channel output in the STX's menu provides surround sound audio for gaming when using headphones, but what I can't seem to figure out is if that surround sound audio is enhanced or degraded when the dolby headphone option is selected. Can anyone explain to me what exactly "dolby headphone" does and what the pros and cons of having it on are?

Solution
D
Most games I do prefer the Dolby Headphone and full Game mode on the card. But some games actually do better with 2 Channel and Hi-Fi mode. Just try the various modes and use what you like best.
D

Deleted member 217926

Dolby headphone is just a flavor of virtual surround.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Headphone

I enable 8 channel and Game mode for gaming. That enables Dolby Headphone. I use 2 channel and Hi-Fi mode for music. I don't really use my STX for music too much anymore but my HD598s stay plugged into the card for gaming and general use.

ProtoflareX

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
Dolby headphone is just a flavor of virtual surround.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Headphone

I enable 8 channel and Game mode for gaming. That enables Dolby Headphone. I use 2 channel and Hi-Fi mode for music. I don't really use my STX for music too much anymore but my HD598s stay plugged into the card for gaming and general use.

Out of curiosity, have you ever tried to compare game audio with and without dolby headphone enabled? I'm assuming you prefer dolby headphone on, but what's the reason for that?

D

Deleted member 217926

Most games I do prefer the Dolby Headphone and full Game mode on the card. But some games actually do better with 2 Channel and Hi-Fi mode. Just try the various modes and use what you like best.

Solution

ProtoflareX

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
I'll test them out in various games for myself, sure, but I'm still curious about the experiences of others. Speaking of which, I have one more question if you don't mind. Do you play any competitive FPS games? If so, have you found that dolby headphone helps you hear an enemy's location better as opposed to when it's off?

D

Deleted member 217926

The headphone you're using will make a huge difference with positional stuff. I find the 598s have great soundstage and imaging and that combined with the comfort makes them what I use most. If I was going to play something competitive I'd use the Elear though.

TRENDING THREADS