Question ASUS XT8 How to get consistent signal to garden room?

May 18, 2023
Good evening all,
After some advice - I feel like I can't be the only one thats gone through this...

Context
  • I have just changed ISP.
  • I have a garden room/home office.
  • I have an existing mesh ASUS XT8 network.
  • I had a powerline adapter set up in the garden room connected to a XT8 node, and used Ethernet backhaul to the main node.
  • With my previous ISP I was getting ~50mbps (FTTC - No BT FTTP in my area)
  • In the garden room, I was able to get ~30-40mbps which I was fine with.
  • I've changed to Community Fiber 1000, which has just been installed in my area
  • Main node is consistently getting 900-1000mbps D/U, with the two other nodes in the house (connected via dedicated 5ghz backhaul) consistently getting 600mbps+D/U I'm fine with that, i'd expect some degradation the further away they get.
  • The powerline adapter to the garden room is proving to be a real bottle neck. The houses wiring is quite old, and has to pass through two consumer units (house and garden room).
  • The powerline adapters are 1300mbps rated, but when using the tp-link powerline adapter utility, the transfer rate between the primary and slave powerline adapters is ~50mbps, often lower.
  • The old electrical circuitry and 2 consumer units considerably degrades the signal.
  • When on sky, 50mbps was the best I could possibly hope to achieve, given that was all that came in to the property. The bottleneck I'm now experiencing therefore wasn't apparent (besides some occasionally high ping).
  • If I wireless backhaul my garden room to the node closest to the garden room (currently been moved to the closest window sill with direct line of sight to the garden room) and have the garden room door open I'm able to get ~400mbps D/U in the garden room. I'd be perfectly happy with that. However...
  • With the garden room door shut the wireless backhaul connection completely drops out. It's a full height double glazed UV filter coated 4 panel bifold.
  • It seems the glass all but completely blocks the signal and the foil faced PIR insulation in the walls doesn't allow it to pass through that either.

Powerline isn't an option anymore if I want to benefit from the new speed (which I do - I work down in the garden room and game a bit in the evenings (which the occasional ping spikes don't help with!!)) It's the room in the house I spend the vast majority of waking hours in.
Wireless backhaul doesn't seem to be an option given I can't shut the door if i want to be able to use the internet. Fine during a nice sunny spring or summers day, but too chilly to do in the evening or on wet windy horrible days.
We've recently landscaped the garden so digging up and burying a CAT5.E or CAT6 isn't an option.

What other options do I have? Has anyone else has a similar situation? What did you do to resolve it?

kanewolf

Titan
Good evening all,
After some advice - I feel like I can't be the only one thats gone through this...

Context
  • I have just changed ISP.
  • I have a garden room/home office.
  • I have an existing mesh ASUS XT8 network.
  • I had a powerline adapter set up in the garden room connected to a XT8 node, and used Ethernet backhaul to the main node.
  • With my previous ISP I was getting ~50mbps (FTTC - No BT FTTP in my area)
  • In the garden room, I was able to get ~30-40mbps which I was fine with.
  • I've changed to Community Fiber 1000, which has just been installed in my area
  • Main node is consistently getting 900-1000mbps D/U, with the two other nodes in the house (connected via dedicated 5ghz backhaul) consistently getting 600mbps+D/U I'm fine with that, i'd expect some degradation the further away they get.
  • The powerline adapter to the garden room is proving to be a real bottle neck. The houses wiring is quite old, and has to pass through two consumer units (house and garden room).
  • The powerline adapters are 1300mbps rated, but when using the tp-link powerline adapter utility, the transfer rate between the primary and slave powerline adapters is ~50mbps, often lower.
  • The old electrical circuitry and 2 consumer units considerably degrades the signal.
  • When on sky, 50mbps was the best I could possibly hope to achieve, given that was all that came in to the property. The bottleneck I'm now experiencing therefore wasn't apparent (besides some occasionally high ping).
  • If I wireless backhaul my garden room to the node closest to the garden room (currently been moved to the closest window sill with direct line of sight to the garden room) and have the garden room door open I'm able to get ~400mbps D/U in the garden room. I'd be perfectly happy with that. However...
  • With the garden room door shut the wireless backhaul connection completely drops out. It's a full height double glazed UV filter coated 4 panel bifold.
  • It seems the glass all but completely blocks the signal and the foil faced PIR insulation in the walls doesn't allow it to pass through that either.

Powerline isn't an option anymore if I want to benefit from the new speed (which I do - I work down in the garden room and game a bit in the evenings (which the occasional ping spikes don't help with!!)) It's the room in the house I spend the vast majority of waking hours in.
Wireless backhaul doesn't seem to be an option given I can't shut the door if i want to be able to use the internet. Fine during a nice sunny spring or summers day, but too chilly to do in the evening or on wet windy horrible days.
We've recently landscaped the garden so digging up and burying a CAT5.E or CAT6 isn't an option.

What other options do I have? Has anyone else has a similar situation? What did you do to resolve it?
You have eliminated the good option, pulling cable. Do you have coax in this room?

May 18, 2023
You have eliminated the good option, pulling cable. Do you have coax in this room?
Unfortunately not, no.
I'm not ruling out surface cable, hidden along the boundary. Minimal risk of damaging it whilst gardening, and if I did that would probably go armored anyway.
Would something like a an outdoor IP rated P2P wireless bridge work do you think as an alternative to surface cabling?

Last edited: