Asus: Yes, We're Planning an Oak Trail Tablet

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I might actually get a tablet if it will run a full OS as well (and hardware keyboard). Maybe something like the slider... with a pen, preferably.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
There's not much point in putting on Windows if you aren't using a keyboard. Bluetooth keyboards are usually an option though, and they could use a form factor that can fit the current Transformer dock.

Rather have a Linux/Android dual boot though. Linux could cover the tasks that can't be done on Android without having to pay for a Win license.

G

Atom piece of junk? It is not like Tegra 2 has sterling performance either. Atom only sin is power consumption.

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
'IF' it's an updated Asus EP121 with better battery life, Asus WILL be getting my money as that was/is the single negative factor of the 121. Strange that the article never mentioned the EP121, instead opting to have two paragraphs of filler.

"There's not much point in putting on Windows if you aren't using a keyboard. "
What are you smoking? How many Win7 tablets have you used? If you can clean install win7, tweak the services, install other applications, get onto a domain and pretty much use it like ANY OTHER tablet, then you may have missed something.

pelov

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
[citation][nom]puzzled2011[/nom]Atom piece of junk? It is not like Tegra 2 has sterling performance either. Atom only sin is power consumption.[/citation]

Oak trail will have even worse performance at the sake of significantly less power draw.

I still don't think Intel has shrunk the x86 down to a size to be feasible and still provide a big bump in performance. It probably will outperform the ARM-based stuff, but nvidia and the other companies are making very big strides in architecture that will see that performance gap decrease, with lower power consumption and a cheaper price.

everlast66

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
The best way to get a certain processor in more devices sold is to convince Apple to include in the next iPad - these seem to be the only devices selling in MASS !

G

"I might actually get a tablet if it will run a full OS as well..."

I used to think this way, but I took a hard look at my computing needs, and 95% of it can be done with a tablet running Honeycomb (or with one of the apps already released in the market). Windows 7 is far too heavy to run efficiently on any tablet within reason (Asus has a tablet running windows 7, but it starts at $1000 with no keyboard or mouse, and probably has the same performance of a new android tablet once you factor in the weight of the OS).

My bets on the Asus Transformer... A tablet with a full keyboard, touchpad, 16 hour battery life!, usb ports to add any sized external hard drive, and the ability to VNC to another computer with a full OS for the time you actually need a full OS.

HappyBB

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2008
How many people are really buying these tablets? This seems to be a waste of natural resources to me as companies keep on launching tablets. I even think that iPad is not a necessity.

Status
Not open for further replies.