Asus Z11PA-D8 PWR Fail LED connection?

Aug 23, 2018
Asus Z11PA-D8 server motherboard and Supermicro CSE-745TQ-R920B case. The case has a Power Fail LED on the front panel; however, I can't find where to connect it to this motherboard. I've got all the other LED connections figured out, except the PWR Fail. Wondering if this motherboard does not have the feature to detect a power failure.

Solution
Hi Shef208:

I am going to order z11pa-d8 soon as well, I am deciding what kind of case and psu should I get for it?

My plans are:
1. I will mostly use it for personal use.
2. eventually I will expand it to 196GB RAM, DUAL XEON silver cpu and 2 nvidia rtx 20xx GPU (power consumption is 250w each) for deep learning purpose.
3. I was planning to get corsair 750D case with 1200W psu, now seems Supermicro CSE-745TQ-R920B case is also one way to go.
My question is: will 920W be enough for all these future expansions if I get supermicro? If I go with corsair 750D case with 1200W psu, what is the downside of it will be..?
I could not find any useful info related to Z11pa-d8 online, so any sugesstions welcome!

Thanks.

kanewolf

Titan
Since that case is a dual power supply capable unit, my guess is that goes into the power supply subsystem and not the motherboard. The motherboard should not know that one of the two power supplies has failed because the other one has taken over the job.

Aug 23, 2018

I thought about that, but the case came pre-built from Supermicro with the redundant power supplies all installed, and yet, there's this extra lead specifically labeled PWR Fail. Why would they include that lead for a motherboard header if it's already wired to the power supply system itself. I'll just skip it, because I didn't see anything specific to it on the motherboard. I hooked the Overheat LED to the message LED motherboard connection which notifies about "abnormal events" probably overheating, fan failure.

Aug 31, 2018
Hi Shef208:

I am going to order z11pa-d8 soon as well, I am deciding what kind of case and psu should I get for it?

My plans are:
2. eventually I will expand it to 196GB RAM, DUAL XEON silver cpu and 2 nvidia rtx 20xx GPU (power consumption is 250w each) for deep learning purpose.
3. I was planning to get corsair 750D case with 1200W psu, now seems Supermicro CSE-745TQ-R920B case is also one way to go.
My question is: will 920W be enough for all these future expansions if I get supermicro? If I go with corsair 750D case with 1200W psu, what is the downside of it will be..?
I could not find any useful info related to Z11pa-d8 online, so any sugesstions welcome!

Thanks.

Solution
Aug 31, 2018

Hi Shef208:

My plans are:

Thanks.