Question Asus z170-a CCant get ram to run at rated 3200mhz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 21, 2018
Currrently have my CPU overclocked at 4.4 at 1.300 volts

Computer wont boot when i set XMP profile#1 for ram I did change just the RAM FREQ to 2800 and that is working now wanted to get to 3200.

D

Deleted member 217926

You can try manually setting the RAM. Just make sure voltage, speed and the listed timings match what the kit is rated at. If it wont work like that I'd suggest running memtest as you might have a bad stick. Z170/6700K should have no problems with 3200.

Jul 21, 2018
You can try manually setting the RAM. Just make sure voltage, speed and the listed timings match what the kit is rated at. If it wont work like that I'd suggest running memtest as you might have a bad stick. Z170/6700K should have no problems with 3200.
So far nothing it has 3 passes not sure how long I should run this or if it ever ends

D

Deleted member 217926

Memtest86? Should be run overnight or 8-10 hours to check 16GB thoroughly. Did you try manually setting the speed and timings?

D

Deleted member 217926

You'd need to set the voltage which is likely 1.35v ( post the exact RAM you have so we can be sure ), the speed which will be 3200 and the timings. The timings can be confusing but the only ones you need to be concerned about are:

CL: CAS Latency. The time it takes between a command having been sent to the memory and when it begins to reply to it. It is the time it takes between the processor asking for some data from the memory and then returning it.
tRCD: RAS to CAS Delay. The time it takes between the activation of the line (RAS) and the column (CAS) where the data are stored in the matrix.
tRP: RAS Precharge. The time it takes between disabling the access to a line of data and the beginning of the access to another line of data.
tRAS: Active to Precharge Delay. How long the memory has to wait until the next access to the memory can be initiated.

And last.
CMD: Command Rate. The time it takes between the memory chip having been activated and when the first command may be sent to the memory. Sometimes this value is not announced. It usually is T1 (1 clock cycle) or T2 (2 clock cycles).

Those will be listed on the kit you bought. For instance here:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232205

We see: Timings 14-14-14-34 So you'd set CL-14, tRCD-14, tRP-14 and tRAS-34. The CMD rate will likely be 2 but might be 1 on higher end kits. It will be listed in the specs.

You'd do this for each stick. PROBABLY you can just enable XMP and it will set those values for you. Then you'd just uncheck XMP and tell it to save as is.

Jul 21, 2018
You'd need to set the voltage which is likely 1.35v ( post the exact RAM you have so we can be sure ), the speed which will be 3200 and the timings. The timings can be confusing but the only ones you need to be concerned about are:

CL: CAS Latency. The time it takes between a command having been sent to the memory and when it begins to reply to it. It is the time it takes between the processor asking for some data from the memory and then returning it.
tRCD: RAS to CAS Delay. The time it takes between the activation of the line (RAS) and the column (CAS) where the data are stored in the matrix.
tRP: RAS Precharge. The time it takes between disabling the access to a line of data and the beginning of the access to another line of data.
tRAS: Active to Precharge Delay. How long the memory has to wait until the next access to the memory can be initiated.

And last.
CMD: Command Rate. The time it takes between the memory chip having been activated and when the first command may be sent to the memory. Sometimes this value is not announced. It usually is T1 (1 clock cycle) or T2 (2 clock cycles).

Those will be listed on the kit you bought. For instance here:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232205

We see: Timings 14-14-14-34 So you'd set CL-14, tRCD-14, tRP-14 and tRAS-34. The CMD rate will likely be 2 but might be 1 on higher end kits. It will be listed in the specs.

You'd do this for each stick. PROBABLY you can just enable XMP and it will set those values for you. Then you'd just uncheck XMP and tell it to save as is.
I manually set DVRAM to 1.35 timming is 16-18-18-38 3200 mhz Like i said i bumped my VICCO from like 1.156 to 1.21 Not sure if thats safe? also this is my ram https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232181
Modle= F4-3200C16D-16GVGB

When I had a i5-6600k, I found that higher speed ram set at XMP speeds did impact my OC and I had to back off a notch.
3200 speed ram is 1.2v ram that is well binned and can be overclocked to 3200 speed when run at 1.35v.

If you want to play with it, try setting the ram voltage a bit higher than 1.35v.

Or... just how badly do you need that ram to be faster or your multiplier to be that last notch?

D

Deleted member 217926

I haven't looked at system agent voltages since Sandy Bridge so I don't know what's safe and what isn't especially long term. I would back off that unless you have a source you trust saying it's safe.

Z170 and a 6700K shouldn't have any problems with 3200 RAM and a tiny overclock like that.

Jul 21, 2018
Do you have the latest BIOS? Very important because XMP profile alone should be able to work with this combination.
I’ll double check today my bios. I was able to manual set ram timings 16-18-18-38 and get ram to 3200mhz at 1.35v it only worked when I changed my vicco to 1.05v and vccsa to 1.09v however in my hardware info shows Vic’s a at 1.14V I will mention I have my 6700k at 4.4 at 1.25v

Jul 21, 2018
unknown.png
unknown.png
unknown.png

Jul 21, 2018
So my computer is stable now, 6700k 4.4Ghz a 1.25v DRAM 1.25v 3200Mhz 16-18-18-38. Just wanted to know if my voltages seems safe (VCCSA, and VICCO) had to change them.
I noticed my VR VCC (SVID) was high 83c even if i revert my Overcclock and everything to base it stay at 81c

Status
Not open for further replies.