ASUS Z170-A will not boot, BIOS LED stays lit

graywolf1939

Reputable
Dec 17, 2015
This is the SECOND new MB problem this week. I am building 2 new systems, the first is an ASUS H170 MB and it is arriving Tuesday from ASUS , TS did an upgrade to the BIOS because the DRAM LED stayed lit. We shall see if that fixed THAT problem.
The second MB is an ASUS Z170-A, and this one has the BIOS LED staying lit red. When powering up, all the LED's go through sequence OK (Red to OFF) but BIOS LED stays lit.
The systems is using the proper (AVL DRAMS for this board), the CPU is and Intel i5 6600, I have a video card but I am using the on-board video to eliminate the VGA as a possible issue. All fans works Ok, no sound so I cannot use beep code. No HDD's or SSD's are connected yet to eliminate that as a possible problem. No video on the tested working monitor using DVI cable input to MB.
Seeing that I now have 2 ASUS new MB's from Newegg.com that exhibit the very same issue, no video, no post, is it possible that both need upgrades to BIOS? What gives with all these MB's having POST problems lately? I have built 5 systems since 2010 and have NEVER had one MB have an issue until 2016.
What is causing the BIOS LED to stay lit when all other systems check OK (LED's) on power-up ? Can the BIOS's need upgrading that soon to be this critical that the system will not Post ???

Lutfij

Titan
It may be a BIOS problem or it could even be a lack of strict monitoring in the QC department that led to these faulty boards finding its way to the household. As is with pretty much anything electronic there can and will be anomalies and issues with components. If you're asking what the issue may be, I'd stab at the board having a grounding issue.

I've own a couple of Asus boards and the Maximus III Formula I worked on had an issue booting up when the ram sticks I used were in the wrong slots outside of those suggested by Asus(per their manual) to be populated in. Can you please pass on your full systems specs including the connected peripherals?

This thread is a lot more confusing than you think though you're talking about a H170M board while the title is that of a Z170 although both exhibit the same issue, they may be from two different points of propagation. It's advised to have one thread per issue. You should edit your thread to direct users to provide suggestions to one f your boards.
Lutfij

TRENDING THREADS