Question Asus Z170-AR. No Display, PC has Power.

Guti995

Commendable
Jan 20, 2017
Hai!

Yesterday, I sold a bunch of PC parts for an i7 Gaming/Streaming Rig. Parts consisted of:
-i7-6700K
-Asus Z170-AR
-GTX Geforce 1060 Gaming X 6GB
-32GB Team Dark RAM 2400mhz
-EVGA - SuperNOVA NEX 650 W 80+ Gold
-Phantom 530 ATX Full Tower (White)
-CoolMaster Hyper 212 Evo

The problem that the person is having atm is that he gets the CPU to turn on, his RGB fans turn on, but the display wont turn on. Hes tried:

-Draining Calacitors (i.e Unplugging PSU, Holding down Power Button for 10-15 seconds, plugging back in PSU, and starting it)
-Resetting the CMOS (Took out the battery, and jumped the pins, also tried a new battery)
-Trying to Boot w/o GPU
-Tried Switching RAM and PSU with another setup he has
-Checked the Proper Seating of the CPU, and condition if CPU and Mobo CPU Plate
-Checked for Case Grounding

This is basically a BRAND NEW motherboard I've only used for 3 weeks. It worked right up until I took it out, but i didnt do anything out of the norm. He said hes gonna let it sit out a day to maybe remove some Static Charge in/on it, but if that doesnt work, does anybody have any ideas?

This is a very STRANGE occurnace for both me and the dood I sold this to. Hes been building PCs for years and I've built about 4-5 PCs and this pretty foreign to me. I dont see how the Mobo could be dead...Thanks!

To verify, all these specific parts were used together before the sale? Was the CPU removed at all during the process? Though unlikely, possible it was ESD damaged during the removal and reinstall process for the sale. Had a similar situation recently myself involving a Gigabyte Z170 board. Worked totally fine w/ 7600k. Removed board/CPU combo for an upgrade. Went to reinstall combo for a family PC build, and started power on/power off cycling. After several part swaps and tests, turned out being that board had died somehow.

Guti995

Commendable
Jan 20, 2017
And no. They were never all actually used together. The Mobo, CPU, were used together, but the cooler, PSU, Ram, and 1060 were used in a previous Build w/ a previous version of my Mobo w/ the same CPU I just sold.

Guti995

Commendable
Jan 20, 2017
Do you think letting the Static Drain out by letting it sit on a desk for a day would help at all? The transfer of the mobo was inside of a anti static slip and a box....

Guti995

Commendable
Jan 20, 2017
The memory is 2400 Team Dark and the Mobo shoppers down to 2133 and up to 3400. The memOK! Light also isnt in, so that SHOULDNT be a problem. Theres no kind of damage to the CPU or plate that I can see since he sent me a picture. He believes its ESD as well...

Being in the speed range itself doesn't guarantee memory will always work in certain boards. Has the MemOK button been tried to loosen timings in attempting to boot? Cooler mounted correctly? Skylake CPUs have thin substrates, and early reviewers found it possible to damage the CPU from excess pressure.

Guti995

Commendable
Jan 20, 2017
Being in the speed range itself doesn't guarantee memory will always work in certain boards. Has the MemOK button been tried to loosen timings in attempting to boot? Cooler mounted correctly? Skylake CPUs have thin substrates, and early reviewers found it possible to damage the CPU from excess pressure.
I dont quite understand what you mean by has the MemOK! To loosen timings? I dont know much about that. Inky that the LED was off lol.