Asus Z170 Build No Power

Danh93

Commendable
May 27, 2016
Hey. So I recently swapped no out my motherboard, CPU and RAM. My rig has power to the motherboard as it is lighting up and pulsating, but the system won't boot up. No fans, no disk drives spinning, nothing. There is a constant red LED near the bottom labelled SB_power. I have tried removing one, the other, and both sticks of RAM, and removed my graphics card to no avail.

Intel core-i5 skylake 6600k CPU
MSI GTX 970 GPU
2x4 GB FURY Hyper X RAM
Samsung 250GB SSD (OS)
Kingston 60GB SSD
Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD
Corsair CX600M PSU
Asus z170 board

Thanks in advance

Solution
The SB_PWR LED is on because your Standby Power is on. It will remain on as long as the PSU is plugged in to the wall. If you remove mains power, it should fade out after a few seconds (especially if you try to start the computer).

My concern is the CX series isn't a very good PSU from Corsair. According to Tom's PSU Tier List, it's a Tier 4.

However there are a few things you should check prior to assuming the PSU. Check all the power connections to the motherboard, the ATX connector and the CPU / EPS connector. After that, I'd make sure that your front panel connectors (particularly the power switch) are connected correctly to the motherboard.

After that, I'd have a look at the CPU socket to make sure pins weren't bent while...
The SB_PWR LED is on because your Standby Power is on. It will remain on as long as the PSU is plugged in to the wall. If you remove mains power, it should fade out after a few seconds (especially if you try to start the computer).

My concern is the CX series isn't a very good PSU from Corsair. According to Tom's PSU Tier List, it's a Tier 4.

However there are a few things you should check prior to assuming the PSU. Check all the power connections to the motherboard, the ATX connector and the CPU / EPS connector. After that, I'd make sure that your front panel connectors (particularly the power switch) are connected correctly to the motherboard.

After that, I'd have a look at the CPU socket to make sure pins weren't bent while installing the CPU.

Solution

Danh93

Commendable
May 27, 2016
I checked the CPU and a couple of the pins were bent. I was really gentle installing it too.. I tried straightening them out but nothing has changed. Does this look like a short on the board? I'm really stuck otherwise.

Can you post a "good" picture of the socket?

Unfortunately ASUS will not warranty for socket damaged caused by the user. So hopefully you can get them straightened.

Bent pins aren't too uncommon particularly with new builders. The move to putting the pins in the socket rather than on the CPU has definitely increased the instances of bent pins in general. ASUS has even started to include a CPU installer tool with their motherboards to get the CPU installed correctly the first time. This issue is if you don't line the CPU up with the socket perfectly the first time you drop it in, you can't just slide it into position as this will result in bent pins. So it's very important that it drops directly into the socket. If it doesn't the best practice is to remove the CPU carefully and try again..

Danh93

Commendable
May 27, 2016

cWWPTyF.jpg

XY5rCER.jpg

Danh93

Commendable
May 27, 2016

I rebuilt my old rig again which runs with an AMD FX-8320 and a Sabertooth board, and everything runs fine. Unless the new setup was too power hungry (which according to powersupplycalculator.net it wasn't, should have been drawing about 450W), I'm beginning to think it is either the CPU or socket for it on the board.

Well I don't see any bent pins in the socket. It's hard to make out the pins on the far side of the socket (out of focus), but it looks as if it's OK.

I would try to just have a single DIMM, no graphics card, CPU / HSF, no drives connected, PSU connected, and front panel connectors connected (at least the PWR_SW) to the motherboard. Then use the jumper to reset the BIOS (as per the manual) then try to start it.

Make sure you have both the ATX and CPU / EPS power connectors connected to the motherboard. The CPU / EPS connector is the most overlooked and causes problems just like this one.

Although the power supply is not the best, if it's able to power your AMD system, it should most definitely be able to power this system.

Danh93

Commendable
May 27, 2016

The second time I removed the processor here were a few out of alignment (again) so I bent them back with a sharp knife. I've given up trying to set it properly but I think this is the problem. No CPU, no boot, no BIOS I guess.

Danh93

Commendable
May 27, 2016

Perhaps. I don't know why they were bent though. I followed the instructions and gently locked it in place. Even as I did that I heard a slight crack so i just don't know. Maybe the old gods want me to stick with AMD.

Danh93

Commendable
May 27, 2016

Perhaps. Thank you for your help kind sir.