ASUS Z170 Deluxe AIO water cooler bracket doesn't fit

miracj

Reputable
Nov 7, 2015
I have an ASUS Z170 Deluxe motherboard and tried to install my Antec Kuhler H2O 950 All-In-One (AIO) water cooler and the top metal bracket that holds the unit to the top of the CPU doesn't fit the motherboard due to interfering components around CPU socket on two sides (Silver circular items, looks like large transistor, but are probably decoupling capacitors).

I don't think there is a workaround, so can someone suggest some All-In-One water coolers models that they know will fit the motherboard?

Thanks!

miracj

Reputable
Nov 7, 2015

Thanks for the recommendations.

The Corsair AIO water coolers are some of the best for cooling ability and noise based upon reviews. I was hoping to use the Hydro H90 (140mm) because ideally, I was looking for a single rather than a dual fan, and the larger 140mm fan would ideally be quieter than a 120mm fan (and the radiator is deeper giving a better surface area than most).

However, it looks like like it's CPU sink for the H90 is the round type (as opposed to rectangular) and wouldn't fit based upon the manual, but I'm not 100%n sure. It does look like the 80i would fit though, although it's just uses 120mm fans, so it's an option. But I'd still like to find a 140mm fan that fits that has superior cooling ability like the Corsairs.

uber9000

Distinguished
May 31, 2014
I understand you concern lol. I had an old intel system that had a circular cooler and it worked just fine. Plus on the H90 it looks like the surface area of the cooler is a bit bigger than normal coolers with that shape. So it should definitely work just fine.

miracj

Reputable
Nov 7, 2015

If you take a look at the motherboard, above and also to the left of the CPU socket are silver circular parts, each about 1/4 high.

z170-deluxe-0-1280x1024.jpg

Unless the 4 support holes are on standoffs (as used by several water coolers) keeping it above these parts, or are rectangular and doesn't hit them, but just has the supports at the corners, or the outside of a circular mount is smaller than the location of these parts and the corners are extended to the support holes, then it hits these parts. The parts to the right of the CPU socket were cleared by the Kuhler H2O 950 bracket.

Unfortunately, there is no dimensional information in most (if not all) of the water cooler manuals. Interestingly enough, I did finally find in an ASUS Z170 Deluxe document for Qualified Vendors List for Devices, that it does support the Corsair NEPTON 280L, SILVERSTONE TD02, and the Intel TS13X water coolers.

miracj

Reputable
Nov 7, 2015

Thanks so much! :bounce: It precisely answer's my needs.

Somehow, my google searches didn't bring me to that page, but maybe my terms were too specific. If I'm going to invest in a new cooler, better that it's one that's right!

miracj

Reputable
Nov 7, 2015
For those looking for other answers, I received an answer from Antec support on the Kuhler H2O 950 and it says,

"...there are no compatibility issues with our Kuhler's and the new Z170 motherboards, even thought the motherboard caps are in the way, that's why our mounting screws have the springs so once its installed, the metal brackets would Adjust. Please install the bracket with the CPU cooler mounted and attach the proper screws and install it using a Z pattern"

I haven't actually tried this, and I don't know how even the pressure would be across the surface of the CPU, but that might have some affect on cooling, particularly with overclocking. Since I ordered the Corsair H90, I won't be using the Kuhler H2O 950 for this build.

FYI, I also won't be using the stock fan with the H90. I considered the Corsair Air Series SP 140 High Static Pressure Fans, but they were not PMW (which I prefer). I will be using 2 Fractal Design Venturi High Pressure Series PWM 140mm Fans in a push-pull configuration. The Fractal Design don't have as much as static pressure as the Corsair, but I think it will still be plenty.

uber9000

Distinguished
May 31, 2014

Stock fans are pretty nice and I only prefer them because they're free :p Enjoy your new build!

miracj

Reputable
Nov 7, 2015

Free is good, but the H90 only comes with 1 fan, not 2, :( and it doesn't even come with the extra set of fan screws :pfff: (for the minimal extra cost!). But so as long as I'm already down the rabbit hole, I figured I'd try a hopefully better set of fans, and put the stock fan elsewhere.

uber9000

Distinguished
May 31, 2014

True. Not a bad idea though!