ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming Not Booting Up but Power LED is on

TySSM32

Reputable
Dec 12, 2015
I am new to building computers and recently build the following PC:

Processor: Intel Core i5-6600k
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4 2400 (8GB)
Graphics card: MSI GTX 970 4G
Power supply: Corsair CX600M 600 watt 80 Plus Bronze
SDD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
HDD: Western Digital Black 2TB
CPU cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Currently the motherboard powers on and the Power LED comes on solid red with the model LEDs blinking intermittently, all the fans power up and the graphics card lights up. The issue I'm having is when I plug the HDMI into both the motherboard or the graphics card and power up, it comes up with no signal and the motherboard makes no sound. I have checked the DDR4 ports to ensure the memory is installed in the correct position and have tried removing and reinserting the graphics card and memory. I have removed the CPU from the board and checked for bent pins but havent seen any.

Any help would be much appreciated.

TySSM32

Reputable
Dec 12, 2015
Ok I have narrowed down the problem. right now i can get the computer to post if i put it in a 4gb config with one of the 4gb Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4 2400's but not both. Both work in getting the computer to post in a 4gb config but not together even though they are supposed to be able to.

Lokhe_

Reputable
Dec 4, 2015
Take out the graphics card, go into BIOS and change primary display (think it's called that) to PCI-E. Shut down, install graphics card again, put video cable in graphics card and fire up the system. Should be good! :)

I built an almost identical system a week ago and had the same problem.

Potrac

Commendable
Feb 23, 2016

Hi,
I built the same pc yesterday with the exact same configuration. I have the same problem. How could you be sure that it was the motherboard the problem?
Thank you in advance!

towaw1

Commendable
Jun 18, 2016

Hi i have the same proble, how can you resolve yours ?
Thank you.

charlieporker

Reputable
Jul 17, 2016
I had similar issues and tried all of the above fixes. In the end, it turned out that the PC won't power on when the Display Port cable is plugged into the graphics card. The PC boots fine if using a DVI cable in the graphics card, or if the Display Port cable is plugged directly into the MOBO. Once I'm into Windows, I can plug the Display Port cable into the graphics card and it works fine.

Apparently it could be an issue with a non certified 1.2 Display Port cable, so I'm going to try swapping that out tonight.

Mobo: ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming
Processor: Intel Core i5-6600k
Graphics card: GTX 1070

charlieporker

Reputable
Jul 17, 2016

For me it was the Display Port cable. What kind of cable are you using?

sgsm86

Commendable
Oct 31, 2016

Hi! I have the same issue with a DP cable. Did swapping it for a certified cable worked for you?

Thanks!

charlieporker

Reputable
Jul 17, 2016

Yes, it fixed it. I just swapped the cable for the one from my docking station at work. No issues now :)

da_retta

Commendable
Nov 7, 2016
I also had the same problem. I tried 2 motherboards, 2 types of RAM and 2 CPU (i have a shop). at the end the problem was the coolermaster 412s. on both motherboards they worked only the A2 and B2 slot, while not sink worked all 4. Probably under the motherboard something makes contact

jpcampbell1217

Prominent
Sep 22, 2017

Removing my Coolermaster Hyper D92 worked.
Some part of the mounting bracket must be hitting the board, in just the right place to short it. Bad design on one or both of the company. (Asus and Coolermaster)

I had changed every component with no luck, 2 CPU 2 RAM 2PSU so I came to the conclusion it was a bad Mobo.
I called Newegg and they replaced it. I went to install the new Mobo outside of the case on my workbench and it posted!
I then installed it in the case and nothing, something about the mounting bracket on the Coolermaster Hyper D92 when it is mounted in my case dose not work!?!?
I have been building PC's for 4-5 years and never seen an issue like this I was stumped, thanks to da_retta my problem is now solved. Without his help idk if I ever would have found the problem, very crazy and almost undiagnosable.
Thanks to the many solutions from the people of Tomshardware almost any crazy issue can be solved!

altodor

Prominent
Dec 25, 2017
Hi,
Components:
- Asus z170 pro gaming
- i5 6600k
- 2x8Gb ddr4 memory
- gtx 1060 video card and displayport cable to monitor
- ssd samsung 250 evo + others hdd
- coler master - cpu cooler
- corsair tx 650W
After I changed the last two components with Thermalright true spirit 140 cpu cooler and Seasonic 620W the pc dont boot anymore.
So I have now same problem - pc don't start, don' boot - monitor has not signal.
I tried many way to see and fix the problem but nothing. I even change and install back the old two components but nothing.
- Red light from mobo is lightning and no led light up from upperright side;
- I tried signal from pc to tv through hdmi cable but still nothing, I tried video signal from motherboard but nothing;
- I changed ddram chanel but nothing;
- I dont see any bended or dirt pin on cpu socket. Should I clean with some solution?
Is important to say before to change many times (days before) I happened the pc did not start, boot (same situation as now) at the first push the button - must to stop and then start at second push of button.
I'm still thinking is a proble with motherboard or cpu - the motherboard is powered normal I think because the red light is lightning but the cpu I'm not sure if is powered if its contacts are ok.
So I need help.

TRENDING THREADS