[SOLVED] Asus Z170 Pro Gaming wrong RAM frequency

kufooru

Honorable
Jul 22, 2014
Got some new RAM today (KINGSTON HyperX Fury HX432C16FB3K2/16) and I'm having trouble setting it up to work at its proper frequency.
I set the frequency in BIOS to 3200mhz, and that change does show in the BIOS itself, but once I boot into Windows and check the frequency again (tried with CPU-Z and Speccy) it says the frequency is at 1600mhz.
I'm by no means an expert on hardware, so any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
I'll include some screenshots that'll give you a better idea of my system and where I'm currently at.

IMG_20200318_164054.jpg

unknown.png

unknown.png

Solution
DDR = Double data rate.
The numbers you're seeing in programs should be doubled, so 1600MHz or 1599.7MHz x2 = 3200MHz.

From your BIOS screenshot, looks like you're manually clocking your kit to 3200MHz?
Totally doable, but unnecessaary. You should just be able to enable XMP and select the profile to achieve it.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
DDR = Double data rate.
The numbers you're seeing in programs should be doubled, so 1600MHz or 1599.7MHz x2 = 3200MHz.

From your BIOS screenshot, looks like you're manually clocking your kit to 3200MHz?
Totally doable, but unnecessaary. You should just be able to enable XMP and select the profile to achieve it.

Reactions: kufooru
Solution

kufooru

Honorable
Jul 22, 2014
DDR = Double data rate.

Yep, ok I feel stupid now lol.
I did consider that idea but somehow it just didn't make sense to me (it's been a while since I've had 2 sticks of RAM).
Thanks a lot for the response!
I wasn't sure about using an XMP profile at first because I didn't know what they were based on, but I've since looked it up and realized it's a factory thing.
I'll definitely use that.