Asus Z170 S External Hard Drive Boot Failure only when plugged in at Reboot

Jan 2, 2019
Asus Z170 S External Hard Drive Boot Failure
Windows 7 Pro

This may be a common problem but I could not come up with the correct search terms to pull up anyone with the same issue.
I am running an Asus Z170 S…..everything installs fine from DVD or Flash Drive in USB 3 or USB 2.0 (Notice I have reinstalled multiple times.) The PC runs fine no glitches…multiple time booting up with no problem.
I have two external drives that I had connected to my previous PC for external backup. Both are Seagate’s but one is a Desktop Backup Plus and the other a Desktop Expansion drive. Both are USB 3.0 drives.
Plug either or both drives in while the PC is up and running and everything runs perfect. No problem accessing or copying to and from the drives. Until I reboot the PC with the drives plugged in….the PC immediately boots to Windows Repair mode. Unplug the drives and reboot and it boots back into the OS with no issues. I unplugged all other USB devices, plugged in one drive, same thing(boots to windows repair). Plugged in the other drive…same thing. Plugged in either drive to the USB 2.0 slots…same issue… This is driving me crazy…any suggestions?? One other…I tried to reinstall the OS with a drive plugged in…the install went without a hitch until the first mandatory reboot. Then I received a Hardware failure message and the install would not continue until I unplugged the drive and rebooted. Then it completed without an issue. Also, this was tested on the front and rear ports with the same results.

Also...I am now running the latest BIOS....same error with the old and new BIOS

SATA SSD primary Drive
WD 4TB SATA Internal
I7 6700K
32GB DDR
Thank you!!

Jan 2, 2019
Sounds like a plan... The two externals I have are self powered but I will get a powered HUB and give it a whirl. Thank you for the reply. I will follow up hopefully tomorrow

Jan 2, 2019
Well bummer..it took me forever to find the power wire for my external Hub. Unfortunately I had the same results.. Booted straight to windows repair when the externals are plugged in (this time a powered hub)

Thanks anyway