Jul 26, 2019
Hello,

I have the following configuration:

Mobo: Asus z270-p Prime
CPU: I5-9400F
Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65
RAM: HyperX DDR4-3200 16GB
GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2060 Ventus 6G OC
Power Supply: be quiet! Straight Power 11 (750W)

When powered up, the only thing that turns on is a yellowish/amber led on the motherboard, nothing else. - There is no sound, no cooler spin, no power supply fan spin.

I tried the following:

1- Power supply with all connected;
2- Power supply with mobo, CPU and memory only;
3- Power supply with mobo and CPU only;
4- Power supply with mobo only;
5- All the above outside the PC Case (to make sure no short-circuits happened);
6- Different power supply (corsair 750W - I fail to remember the model, but it is a working one from my wife's PC) and all the previous combinations;

With all the different 9 cases above, the result was always the same: the mobo leds turn on with a yellowish/amber color, and nothing else happens. There is no beep, no sound, no image, no fan spin.

Would my assumption of a defective motherboard be correct?

Solution
With no POST you get nothing except motherboard LEDs lighting up (because it's getting power). Some older motherboards don't have LEDs so you wouldn't even get that.

Please to hear you're changing the motherboard and not your CPU. The 9400F is an excellent choice.
Jul 26, 2019
Well, that's a little disappointing, but makes sense.
So it means that without the CPU, the only signal that I can get that the mobo works is because of the led lights?
There is absolutely no other signal (visual or sound)?

Anyways, I will send the mobo back and get a 300 series. Thanks a lot for the help!

With no POST you get nothing except motherboard LEDs lighting up (because it's getting power). Some older motherboards don't have LEDs so you wouldn't even get that.

Please to hear you're changing the motherboard and not your CPU. The 9400F is an excellent choice.

Last edited:
Solution