Asus Z270-WS Motherboard Takes 4 Attempts To Boot Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaydennis48

Prominent
Sep 2, 2017
Asus Z270-WS Motherboard Takes 4 boots from a cold start to eventually power up. I use a power strip to completely remove power from the computer and peripherals after shutting the system down. Upon switching on the power strip and pressing the power button on the computer, it turns on for a few seconds, then completely shuts down for a few seconds, then re-starts again. This goes through the on-off cycle for 4 times before the computer stays on and boots into Windows 10. If I DON'T cold power down the power strip, and just shut down the computer, it will restart normally on the first boot. I thought it was a bad mobo, so I sent it back as defective and got the same model from a different vendor. Same scenario on the second motherboard. I tried a different i7-7700k and same results. I then swapped power supplies from a PC Power & Cooling 750 watt with an EVGA 850 watt. No change. I used ram off the QVL list, but changed memory anyway to G.Skill 4x8 GB modules (I tried 1, 2, then 4 with the same results). Currently using BIOS 602 (from 7/18/18) I'm at wit's end at this point. The computer runs fine with no issues, but I'd still like to use the power strip to totally remove power during longer down times. Over-clocked 4%, but the boot issue with the system even under-clocked. Not using XMP, as the system won't even boot at all at the XMP 3200 setting. Running the ram at 2933...

Solution
i do not think at al that is normal that a pc reboot 4 times just after 1-2 seconds before to BOOT UP normally maybe you didn't understood the behavior i guess...
i own many other older asus-pc from 20 years and they never booted like this . i turn it on and it BOOT UP normally at the first moment.
the fact is not "why i cut power" , is why this motherboard act like this
I can't find that F4-3200C16-8GTZR number listed at G. Skill. It appears from the numbers you bought modules sold as "Singles", which have no guarantee to work if used in multiples of two, three or four.

Memory is guaranteed in the form sold. If you want a 4x8GB kit, only a single kit comes with a guarantee. Multiple combinations you decide to create have no guarantee to be compatible together, but you are free to do your own compatibility testing.

Jan 8, 2019

Hi jaydennis48
just wondering if and how you solved the problem
i have bougth 2 Z270WS with an I7700K and i have same your problem
i called Asus and the tecnician suggested me to attach the secondo 8 pin power cpu cable and see if the situation will change
it is not overclocked so i do not have any hopes , strange that both MB have the same Issue , maybe a defective lot

Jan 8, 2019
just to update the post , the other power connection didn-t solved the problem
i've sent a video to the Asus assistence waiting for an answer
thinking that i have a MB from germany with the same problem of a MB of Dennis in Us i think is hard that they become from the same LOT
who knows if it is a bios issue but on the web i cannot find any other similar issues and i suppose to do not be the only one with Dennis to have an I7700K on that MB
i will post future updates

jaydennis48

Prominent
Sep 2, 2017

jaydennis48

Prominent
Sep 2, 2017
Keep me posted as to any updates on the issue. I forgot to ask, does your system run stable once it's up and running? I've had no issues once it boots up. I have a techno-geek type person coming over in a few days to poke around the BIOS to see if anything jumps out at him. I'll send you any info he comes up with.

Jan 8, 2019
Yes it is , stable. i've asked privately your board serial number to notice to my asus ticket and let them check if it can be related to a specific lot or is a common general issue , if you agree i will add it to my ticket
about bios i am not sure we could manage it throw some setting , i'have already tried some , anyway let me know.

Jan 8, 2019
Hi Dennis can i ask the serial number of your motherboard with a private emessage?
i've contacted Asus sending them a video about this issue
they are suspecting a defective lot. my MB are imported from Germany i am not sure we could have same "origin"
we could contact asus (also you directly) tring to help them to understand what is happening maybe they would solve with a bios update

just wondering how many Z270 WS users are around there using it without no issue (or maybe they just have the power cable "alwas on")

Jan 8, 2019
Hi Dennis can i ask the serial number of your motherboard with a private emessage?
i've contacted Asus sending them a video about this issue
they are suspecting a defective lot. my MB are imported from Germany i am not sure we could have same "origin"
we could contact asus (also you directly) tring to help them to understand what is happening maybe they would solve with a bios update

just wondering how many Z270 WS users are around there using it without no issue (or maybe they just have the power cable "alwas on")

Jan 8, 2019
i do not think at al that is normal that a pc reboot 4 times just after 1-2 seconds before to BOOT UP normally maybe you didn't understood the behavior i guess...
i own many other older asus-pc from 20 years and they never booted like this . i turn it on and it BOOT UP normally at the first moment.
the fact is not "why i cut power" , is why this motherboard act like this

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.