[SOLVED] ASUS Z370-F Cant Boot.

Aug 7, 2019
Hello. Yesterday i felt like my pc needed an upgrade so i bought a asus gtx 2080 OC Dual and switched it with my old 980 Ti 6gb. Everything worked, but i werent getting the fps upgrade i hoped for. That was because my motherboard was very outdated so i switched it to a Asus z370-f, and i checked sockets etc. and everything seemed fine. Though after connecting wires and ram it doesnt work. When i boot everything turns on. LED, Fans and lights, but the screen wont turn on and my mouse and keyboard doesnt light up in many LEDs. I must have plugged something in wrong.
my setup is:
i7 6700k skylake CPU
Asus z370-f MB
asus gtx 2080 OC Dual GPU
850W powersupply.

Anyone have any idea?

Solution
Thanks for the quick reply. Does this mean i can only buy i7/i5 -8xxx CPUs because it says it support the 8th generations.. - or could i buy an i9 instead

And last question, is the motherboard damaged, now that ive tried booting it with a wrong cpu

the motherbord shouldn't be damaged since it is really the same socket physically

you can run both 8th and 9th gen CPU's but depending on what version of the BIOS is on the board 9th gen may not work until that is updated so you would need a 8th gen in the end if that happens just to get the motherboard to boot to update it to get 9th gen CPU support
Aug 7, 2019
300-series motherboards don't work with Skylake or Kaby Lake CPUs. This combination will never work.
Thanks for the quick reply. Does this mean i can only buy i7/i5 -8xxx CPUs because it says it support the 8th generations.. - or could i buy an i9 instead

And last question, is the motherboard damaged, now that ive tried booting it with a wrong cpu

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Correct, only 8000 CPUs can be used. 9000 as well, but that frequently needs a BIOS update before use.

Shouldn't have caused damage.

the motherbord shouldn't be damaged since it is really the same socket physically

you can run both 8th and 9th gen CPU's but depending on what version of the BIOS is on the board 9th gen may not work until that is updated so you would need a 8th gen in the end if that happens just to get the motherboard to boot to update it to get 9th gen CPU support

Solution