Question Asus Z370-I NVME M.2 Problem

Jun 19, 2019
Hello,

For some reason, my NVME M.2 is now showing up in my bios, but I have windows installed to it. When I first installed the drive, I installed windows to it no problem, as the drive was found in the windows installation screen.

Here's the weird thing. The M.2 will not load windows unless the old SSD I had windows previously installed on is connected. If I disconnect that SSD, I won't be able to get past the BIOS screen with the nonexistent M.2

I've tried both slots in my motherboard , and the manual says that both are NVME compatible. It shows up and is allocated in Disk Managament under the C drive, and in the "This PC" area, but doesn't show up literally anywhere in the bios.

I cannot do anything with raids as it isn't popping up that a m.2 is recognized. I've enabled the M.2 option in the bios and there's still no drive to be found.

I don't understand how I can be booting windows through a drive that isn't even showing up under a boot drive in my computer. I'm getting rid of my old SSD that had windows on it, so because my pc cannot boot for some reason without that drive, I need to solve this issue.

If anyone has any ideas on how to get my bios to recognize my PCIE NVME M.2, please let me know.

Thank you

Jun 19, 2019
So here's where I'm at. I cleaned every drive and then tried only having the m.2 and a usb with windows 10 on it. Again it's not showing up in my BIOS, but It does show up when I try to install windows to that drive. When I tried installing windows to the drive, it finishes everything, gets to the restart computer portion, and boots up like I never installed it in the first place.

I since then installed windows on to one of my SSD's and eveything is fine. I go into Disk Management and the M.2 is there waiting to be allocated.

Disconnect your other SSD, while you're installing windows on M.2 drive.

When you have multiple drives connected, you have no control over, where bootloader partition is being created. It's quite common to end up with windows partition on one drive and bootloader partition on a different drive.

Jun 19, 2019
I did that and it turned into the loop where It installed windows, only to go back to the same screen to install windows again.

Edit: No matter what I've done to the m.2 drive, at no point does it show up anywhere in the bios, even after messing with the cmos options, etc.