[SOLVED] Asus Z390-e mobo and a corsair 240 pro AIO

saltedm8

Commendable
Apr 8, 2020
Hi

I built this pc around a month ago and have not had any trouble with it..

I have however noticed two things, but I should tell you that I have the 9900k with an Asus Z390-e mobo and a corsair 240 pro AIO

I noticed that when I run Cinebench 20, the red CPU light on the motherboard switches on and stays on until the test is finished, I have no idea if this is normal or not
Secondly, the cooler pts score in the bios was at 80, and after a CLRTC jump, that went up to 80, still not great, but I was curious if that could be due to swapping the fans to Noctua NF-A12x15 (as I have read that the 15's might not be powerful enough). The AIO cables are vibrating so I assume it is working.

Lastly, even though I have very little idea on what I am doing, I have tried to manually overclock, but when I do, despite following specific numbers from this forum, I seem to be unsuccessful in improving anything even crashing it once instantly on boot unless I use the AI-overclock...

So, if you have some time, I am very software capable but this is the first machine I have built and I can't seem to solve those questions, thanks

Solution
that case has pretty good airflow so that shouldn't be an issue. the setup seems to be pretty efficient. maybe remove the top dust filter if still in place to allow more efficient exhaust.

when attempting the overclock did you increase voltage? even slight bumps can cause big temp increases.
a lot of ASUS auto-overclock options also may implement much higher increases than necessary just to try and ensure more stability.

i would try redoing the thermal paste and reseating the CPU cooler. just be sure you are using the right amount of paste, not too much or too little.

if all else fails try a push/pull fan setup on the radiator.
board light:
check your motherboard user manual and/or the manufacturer product site for information regarding warning/error lights and see what this red light entails exactly.

cooler:
see what Corsair fans came included with the AIO cooler. compare their specs(speed, pressure, noise, etc) with the Noctuas you have replaced them with and determine which is better for your cooling setup.
if your temps are not sufficient try setting the pump and fans to run at higher speeds.

saltedm8

Commendable
Apr 8, 2020
board light:
check your motherboard user manual and/or the manufacturer product site for information regarding warning/error lights and see what this red light entails exactly.

cooler:
see what Corsair fans came included with the AIO cooler. compare their specs(speed, pressure, noise, etc) with the Noctuas you have replaced them with and determine which is better for your cooling setup.
if your temps are not sufficient try setting the pump and fans to run at higher speeds.

The manual is unhelpful as all it stats is that it demotes an issue with the CPU but does not specify what types of issue or whether the CPU would be the root cause.

the fan speeds are set to 100%, dorsair link reporting 1010rpm and the pump at 2790 rpm, fast enough but I wonder if there is enough pressure being forced through since they are thinner fans

What is the question?

What is your Cinebench 20 score?
What are your CPU temps getting to during Cinebench 20?
Score: 3651
temps: 77 - 86

even hitting 75° while doing the most stressful tasks is rather high with any decent cooling.
the fan speeds are set to 100%, dorsair link reporting 1010rpm and the pump at 2790 rpm, fast enough but I wonder if there is enough pressure being forced through since they are thinner fans
where the radiator is placed and how the fans are setup can also have a large effect on temperature.

how is the radiator positioned in your case and how is the case designed?
are the fans in a push or pull setup and which side of the radiator are they placed?
are the fans attached directly to the radiator or do they have a mounting plate or mounting tray separating them from the radiator?

saltedm8

Commendable
Apr 8, 2020
even hitting 75° while doing the most stressful tasks is rather high with any decent cooling.
where the radiator is placed and how the fans are setup can also have a large effect on temperature.

how is the radiator positioned in your case and how is the case designed?
are the fans in a push or pull setup and which side of the radiator are they placed?
are the fans attached directly to the radiator or do they have a mounting plate or mounting tray separating them from the radiator?

The rad is on the top, towards the front (Phanteks pro-M Case) they are set up under the rad to push through to the top (exhaust). The other fans (not including the 2 on the gpu) are three at the front as intake, one at the back as exhaust.

the fans on the rad are directly on the rad, but all fans have the phanteks RGB halos over them as it was only after I completed the build that I decided I wanted to add RGB and I didn't want to change the fans.

Best image available that I have of it - link below View: https://imgur.com/GRidfQj

that case has pretty good airflow so that shouldn't be an issue. the setup seems to be pretty efficient. maybe remove the top dust filter if still in place to allow more efficient exhaust.

when attempting the overclock did you increase voltage? even slight bumps can cause big temp increases.
a lot of ASUS auto-overclock options also may implement much higher increases than necessary just to try and ensure more stability.

i would try redoing the thermal paste and reseating the CPU cooler. just be sure you are using the right amount of paste, not too much or too little.

Reactions: saltedm8
Solution

saltedm8

Commendable
Apr 8, 2020

Thank you, a lot to go through, I think I need to go look up more about manual overclocking before I screw it up completely, I have some Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut about that I never used, so i'll try that too, also yes, I will remove the top filter, see if that does anything thanks again

Reactions: JohnBonhamsGhost