[SOLVED] Asus Z590-E motherboard not POSTing ?

briblo1982

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2015
My father had previously purchased the Asus z590-e strix motherboard. It was having an issue, so he recently bought another Asus Z590-e Strix motherboard. He's running into a issue that the board would not post. The board was doing the same thing before. It would turn on but the board would not POST. The board is stuck on code 99 but the keyboard and mouse are connected to the usb 3 port.

Solution
My father had previously purchased the Asus z590-e strix motherboard. It was having an issue, so he recently bought another Asus Z590-e Strix motherboard. He's running into a issue that the board would not post. The board was doing the same thing before. It would turn on but the board would not POST. The board is stuck on code 99 but the keyboard and mouse are connected to the usb 3 port.

Unfortunately this error code it is a big flag and can be one of many things and POST will not advance till the hardware issue is resolved.

Qcode 99 is "Super IO Initialization" and IO meaning anything connected to the board by any interface is not initializing.
If you have just built the system, then it is saying a device is not connected...

briblo1982

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2015
The previous chipset he had was z390 chipset that worked good. He upgraded to z590 chipset.

His new system:
11th Gen Intel 11700K
G skill trident gold memeory 32gb
evga geforce rtx 2080 ti
Asus z590 strix-e motherboard
corsair rm850x power supply
6 case fans

Unfortunately this error code it is a big flag and can be one of many things and POST will not advance till the hardware issue is resolved.

Qcode 99 is "Super IO Initialization" and IO meaning anything connected to the board by any interface is not initializing.
If you have just built the system, then it is saying a device is not connected properly or there is a lack of power to a device causing the IO error.

First check all cables and components are seated flush and level and aligned in parallel with Pci-e slots and your DIMMs seated correctly.

Should the condition continue, you will have to Bench test outside the case and reapply your TIM after checking for bent pins. Test with a minimal configuration then add components till you post successfully or identify the failing component.

Is there a reason the initial board was not RMA instead of buying a new one.

Solution

briblo1982

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2015

If you have just built the system, then it is saying a device is not connected properly or there is a lack of power to a device causing the IO error.

First check all cables and components are seated flush and level and aligned in parallel with Pci-e slots and your DIMMs seated correctly.

Should the condition continue, you will have to Bench test outside the case and reapply your TIM after checking for bent pins. Test with a minimal configuration then add components till you post successfully or identify the failing component.

Is there a reason the initial board was not RMA instead of buying a new one.

What about the dual m2 slot could that cause the error

You will have to troubleshoot all your hardware to determine the culprit.
It's best to breadboard the motherboard outside the case prior to assy in a minimalist state then adding one component at a time rather than with the system assembled in the Case.

There are a couple of things you can test such as RAM.
Incompatible RAM or not properly seated can cause this so list the P/N?

A faulty cable to a piece of hardware. All cabling and connections have to be tested and swapped out.

Testing hardware in another system or swapping possible suspects is tedious and quicker to disassemble and breadboard.

As I said super IO initialization can be any piece of hardware connected to the MB.

Once you can get into Bios then many checks for none functioning hardware can be made.
If you have not already done so then update your Bios and chipset as that can be a possible cause. You have Flashback on your rear I/O panel so you do not need access to your Bios to update your bios.
Make this your initial pryority.

briblo1982

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2015
You will have to troubleshoot all your hardware to determine the culprit.
It's best to breadboard the motherboard outside the case prior to assy in a minimalist state then adding one component at a time rather than with the system assembled in the Case.

There are a couple of things you can test such as RAM.
Incompatible RAM or not properly seated can cause this so list the P/N?

A faulty cable to a piece of hardware. All cabling and connections have to be tested and swapped out.

Testing hardware in another system or swapping possible suspects is tedious and quicker to disassemble and breadboard.

As I said super IO initialization can be any piece of hardware connected to the MB.

Once you can get into Bios then many checks for none functioning hardware can be made.
If you have not already done so then update your Bios and chipset as that can be a possible cause. You have Flashback on your rear I/O panel so you do not need access to your Bios to update your bios.
Make this your initial pryority.
I just tried to flashback the bios and still nothing
I checked the compatibility. The gskill website has it listed under asus strix z590-e motherboard. I have tried an different keyboard and mouse. I took the video card out and memory and reseated everything back in. I took out the memory and tried each stick by itself. Still nothing. No cables are damaged. Not sure what else to do? This is weird as hell

I just tried to flashback the bios and still nothing
I checked the compatibility. The gskill website has it listed under asus strix z590-e motherboard. I have tried an different keyboard and mouse. I took the video card out and memory and reseated everything back in. I took out the memory and tried each stick by itself. Still nothing. No cables are damaged. Not sure what else to do? This is weird as hell

RAM compatibility should not be determined by the RAM manufacturer (they are known to lie) but rather by the MB manufacturer and RAM configurators very often don't work.
Some Motherboards will not initialise the keyboard and mouse in front USB connections and need to be connected to rear I/O panel USB. Test for that possibility.

I seem to remember a case where the motherboard had a short via the standoffs and is a reason to breadboard where nothing else works.

How are you sure your flashback worked?

briblo1982

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2015
RAM compatibility should not be determined by the RAM manufacturer (they are known to lie) but rather by the MB manufacturer and RAM configurators very often don't work.
Some Motherboards will not initialise the keyboard and mouse in front USB connections and need to be connected to rear I/O panel USB. Test for that possibility.

I seem to remember a case where the motherboard had a short via the standoffs and is a reason to breadboard where nothing else works.

How are you sure your flashback worked?

Obviously the flashback didn't work cause i still have no video. I never connect the keyboard and mouse to front always the rear ports of the motherboard. The motherboard website does not list his memory. What is breadboard?

What is breadboard?

What I consider a breadboard.

- Motherboard out of the case, resting on a non-conductive surface like a piece of cardboard.

- 1 stick of RAM in the slot meant for single channel mode

- CPU and CPU cooler with fan plugged in.

- PSU plugged into motherboard 24 pin connector and CPU 12V connector.

- Motherboard speaker.

- No Video Card, even if there are no integrated graphics.

- Nothing else, no SATA devices or anything else connected to the motherboard and nothing else plugged into the PSU.

Turn the system on by shorting the On/Off Power Switch header on the motherboard with a screwdriver. Some models will have a push button.

Listen to the beeps if you have an onboard speaker and report them.
If all goes right, you will add components in until you find the faulty component.

If the RAM kit you have are not listed on the MB QVL then they are not tested. In which case return what you have and get a kit that are tested and known to work.

Last edited:

briblo1982

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2015
What I consider a breadboard.

- Motherboard out of the case, resting on a non-conductive surface like a piece of cardboard.

- 1 stick of RAM in the slot meant for single channel mode

- CPU and CPU cooler with fan plugged in.

- PSU plugged into motherboard 24 pin connector and CPU 12V connector.

- Motherboard speaker.

- No Video Card, even if there are no integrated graphics.

- Nothing else, no SATA devices or anything else connected to the motherboard and nothing else plugged into the PSU.

Turn the system on by shorting the On/Off Power Switch header on the motherboard with a screwdriver. Some models will have a push button.

Listen to the beeps if you have an onboard speaker and report them.
If all goes right, you will add components in until you find the faulty component.

If the RAM kit you have are not listed on the MB QVL then they are not tested. In which case return what you have and get a kit that are tested and known to work.

It doesn't matter at this point cause he took to a computer shop to find out what is wrong with it?

Last edited by a moderator:

TRENDING THREADS