Question ASUS Z590 TUF GAMING Plus WiFi ---- Secure Boot ?

Peter_249

Honorable
May 29, 2017
My motherboard is the ASUS TUF GAMING Z590 Plus WiFi, Socket 1200. Intel i5-11400.

I did something stupid and fiddled with the registry and the computer would not boot up anymore. I tried everything I could think of but no luck..

The PC Technicians I have taken it to say that they have to order a "Professional Tool" to enable them to deactivate the "Secure Boot" so they can reinstall Windows.

Cost of $320?

Does this sound right?

Peter_249

Honorable
May 29, 2017
I am really starting to doubt whether the technicians I took my PC to know what they are doing. They have had it for six business days. Now they are saying that after using this so called "Professional Tool" that allowed them to get around the secure boot, so they can reinstall Windows 10 from a USB, that it is saying that it has to reformat all three physical hard drives? This doesn't sound right. So I said, "Why not temporarily remove the two backup drives, and just leave the "C" Boot drive in. He said, "Yes I think I will have to do that!" I really don't see that it can be that hard to reinstall Windows!

I am really starting to doubt whether the technicians I took my PC to know what they are doing. They have had it for six business days. Now they are saying that after using this so called "Professional Tool" that allowed them to get around the secure boot, so they can reinstall Windows 10 from a USB, that it is saying that it has to reformat all three physical hard drives? This doesn't sound right. So I said, "Why not temporarily remove the two backup drives, and just leave the "C" Boot drive in. He said, "Yes I think I will have to do that!" I really don't see that it can be that hard to reinstall Windows!
That's pretty much BS with "professional tool" and 320 bucks, they are taking advantage of you big way. First, any computer shop worth it's salt would have such tool. I suppose it's BIOS writer and it costs 20-50 bucks.
Secure BOOT is BIOS function, should have been enough to just reset CMOS, usual default in BIOS is Disabled. Once you access BIOS it could be changed. For a job like that I charge 20-30 bucks !!!

As for Windows installation, if done properly nothing will be changed in other drives but they can be temporarily disabled until windows installation is finished.
PS. Your system is Windows 11 compatible, why don't you just download last available W11 ? They recognize TPM and secure BOOT and shouldn't make any problems with installation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peter_249
May 28, 2022
What message appears on the screen, saying cannot boot ? What drive U'd like to boot from ?
Is this "Professional Tool" just pushing CMOS reset button ? If yes - do it yourself.
But when the power supply is off !

Look, "secure boot" means that only cerified hardware can be be booted from, so such booting should mainly consists of comparing these cetificates. There are four tables of them. You'll find them in BIOS Setup in "Advanced" -> "Boot" . AFAIK if you whipe the first one, which is the cerificate of the board itself, it is called a PK key, than the "secure boot" is switched off. Store if first on an external pen-drive before you clean it. Three others: KEK, DB and DBX do not play any role than and you can leave them.

CMOS reset should bring these keys to their original state back.