Question Asus Z590 TUF motherboard will not boot after connecting power cable to ASUS TUF RTX3060TI Graphic Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 6, 2022
Hi,
I am building a PC and have run into problems when connecting the PSU cable to the graphics.
With the graphics card in the PCIe 4.0 slot but without the PSU cable connected, using the integrated motherboard graphics the motherboard boots to BIOS fine and I have been able to update the BIOS.
The RAM and SSD all seem fine.

Once the power supply cable is connected to the graphics card, the only sign of life on the motherboard are the RGB strips and there is no response to the power button.
The four debug LEDs on the motherboard are all off all the time.

Specification
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming Z590 Plus Wifi.
Graphics card ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3060TI V2 OC Edition.
PSU Corsair RM750 (2021).
RAM Corsair CMW16GX4M2C3200C16 (16GB).
CPU Intel i5-11600K.
SSD Samsung 980 PRO 1TB PCIe 4.0 M.2.

This the 2nd graphics card tried, the first was an identical ASUS RTX 3060TI card and I had the same results.
I also had a spare identical Corsair PSU, so tried the 2nd with same results.
I have tried the graphics card in the other PCIe 3.0 slot with the same result.
And just updated the BIOS as mentioned above.

Now suspicion is either the motherboard (although everything in the system seems fine) or the PSU not being able to handle but at 750W it should be fine but could try a different manufacturer.
Or missing some basic configuration.
I could carry on and install Windows using the integrated graphics but not sure this would help.

Any other advice or things to try appreciated.
Many thanks.

Adrian.

Ferimer

Distinguished
Hi,
I am building a PC and have run into problems when connecting the PSU cable to the graphics.
With the graphics card in the PCIe 4.0 slot but without the PSU cable connected, using the integrated motherboard graphics the motherboard boots to BIOS fine and I have been able to update the BIOS.
The RAM and SSD all seem fine.

Once the power supply cable is connected to the graphics card, the only sign of life on the motherboard are the RGB strips and there is no response to the power button.
The four debug LEDs on the motherboard are all off all the time.

Specification
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming Z590 Plus Wifi.
Graphics card ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3060TI V2 OC Edition.
PSU Corsair RM750 (2021).
RAM Corsair CMW16GX4M2C3200C16 (16GB).
CPU Intel i5-11600K.
SSD Samsung 980 PRO 1TB PCIe 4.0 M.2.

This the 2nd graphics card tried, the first was an identical ASUS RTX 3060TI card and I had the same results.
I also had a spare identical Corsair PSU, so tried the 2nd with same results.
I have tried the graphics card in the other PCIe 3.0 slot with the same result.
And just updated the BIOS as mentioned above.

Now suspicion is either the motherboard (although everything in the system seems fine) or the PSU not being able to handle but at 750W it should be fine but could try a different manufacturer.
Or missing some basic configuration.
I could carry on and install Windows using the integrated graphics but not sure this would help.

Any other advice or things to try appreciated.
Many thanks.

Adrian.
you are making sure that you are using the correct 6+2 PCie cable from the PSU?

Feb 6, 2022
The graphics board has an 8 way power connector.
I am using an 8 way cable from the PSU connector (also an 8 way connector).

My mistake, thanks you were right. Just posting here for information.
I did not realise the 8-way (EPS) CPU cable is a different pin out to the 6+2 PCIe cable.

The ATX/PCIe connectors have different polarisation keying that should prevent them being plugged into each other but the keying on the graphics PCIe connector was not that good and allowed the CPU cable to be plugged in. Luckily I think the PSU short-circuit detection was cutting in before any damage was done. With correct 6+2 cable all works fine.

See https://superuser.com/questions/100...-cable-into-the-gpus-pci-e-port-is-it-damaged

Status
Not open for further replies.