Question Asus Z68 Pro3 will not recognize 16GB RAM

shas595

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2013
I have an Asus Z68 Pro3 Motherboard, latest BIOS. I have installed 4 matching sticks of RAM, 4x 4GB - no matter what I do the BIOS will only see 8GB.
If I put sticks in A1 & B1 it shows 8. If I add another stick to A2, it then shows A1 & A2, 8GB total, B1 shows empty. If I add all it shows A2 & B2.
I put 16GB from another PC in, same issues. I took the RAM from that PC and put in another, shows 16GB. So the issue is on the motherboard (I think)
BIOS Shows 8GB Max, Windows 10 Home shows 8GB... BUT ......... CPU-Z shows 16GB INSTALLED?? Really pulling out my hair on this one. Any ideas?

I have an Asus Z68 Pro3 Motherboard, latest BIOS. I have installed 4 matching sticks of RAM, 4x 4GB - no matter what I do the BIOS will only see 8GB.
If I put sticks in A1 & B1 it shows 8. If I add another stick to A2, it then shows A1 & A2, 8GB total, B1 shows empty. If I add all it shows A2 & B2.
I put 16GB from another PC in, same issues. I took the RAM from that PC and put in another, shows 16GB. So the issue is on the motherboard (I think)
BIOS Shows 8GB Max, Windows 10 Home shows 8GB... BUT ......... CPU-Z shows 16GB INSTALLED?? Really pulling out my hair on this one. Any ideas?
Tried to check bent pins on the cpu and ram slot? tried to clean all the ram contacts and the ram slot? also tried to update the bios to the latest?

shas595

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2013
Yes, the odd part is all slots will recognize, but not with 4 sticks installed. BIOS is current and will show each slot occupied as long as I only put in 2 sticks. It knows I am adding a 3rd and 4th as the active slots change (switches from A2B2 to A1B2, etc) but it never will show more than 2 installed.